Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

2012's Biggest Mac Leaks and Rumors

The iPhone and iPad tend to dominate the rumor scene for a number of reasons. Most signficantly, the total audience for iOS devices is larger and growing more rapidly than for Macs. Apple's Mac line has of course also been growing, but at a much slower pace. Also, given the maturity of the line, changes in the Mac line tend to be more incremental.

Still, looking back, we've seen a fair number of Mac-related leaks that preceded each product launch.

Perhaps the most reliable leaks have been from benchmark suites such as Geekbench, as we've seen benchmark leaks of unreleased Mac products several times now. These have all turned out to be accurate predictors of final Mac releases, sometimes with a several month lead time.

Here are some of the photo leaks we saw in 2012 for the Mac:

13" MacBook Pro

This pre-WWDC 13" MacBook Pro leak revealed that the 13" MacBook Pro would see little in the way of upgrades. Despite many comments about the easy fake-ability of the leak, the image turned out to be accurate. The 13" MacBook Pro wouldn't see Retina upgrades until later in 2012.

15" MacBook Pro

This 15" MacBook Pro logic board shot showed that Apple was switching to NVIDIA GPUs ahead of the launch. It also showed hints that Apple was keeping the current MacBook Pro design around, as the layout was identical to existing models.

iMac

This was the first we heard of the newly redesigned iMac, which was described as "considerably thinner than the current form factor".
Quote:
The redesigned iMac is said to be considerably thinner than the current form factor, with the machine's thickness almost impossible to gauge when viewed from the side. The curved rear shell is also said to appear more like a water droplet than the squared-off design seen in the current model.
13" Retina MacBook Pro

This was our first look at the thinner 13" Retina MacBook Pro and showed the various ports and 2560x1600 resolution of the new machine.

MacBook Pro and Retina Lineups

From an informational perspective, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has shown that he has had a clear view of Apple's timeline and has been able to report accurately on that topic. Kuo was the first to suggest in June that Apple was going to create a separate line of MacBook Pros with Retina displays while keeping the existing product line in place.

Some of the responses in the discussion thread at the time were of disbelief:
Quote:
That's stupid.

If the new Macbook line is as powerful as the Pro line, WHY keep the Pro line? What advantage does the Pro offer? A CD drive? Not exactly tempting in today's day and age. I'd rather take thinner and retina over a stupid CD drive, especially since it looks like it will be priced cheaper than a pro.

Just Axe the old Pro line and rebrand the new Pro line as this thinner/Retina one.
Of course, Apple did splinter the line by introducing a new (more expensive) "Retina" line of MacBook Pro products. Kuo also predicts that Apple will reintegrate the line in 2013, offering a single 13" and 15" MacBook Pro line with Retina displays and doing away with the non-Retina Macbook Pros that are currently being offered.

Mac Pro: Not Dead Yet

Finally, perhaps the most encouraging bit of news from the year for some was the promise that the Mac Pro will see an update in 2013. Tim Cook even responded to a an email from a concerned Mac Pro user. In the email response:
Quote:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.
Article Link: 2012's Biggest Mac Leaks and Rumors
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Gherkin
macrumors 6502

Cook really said "later next year" for the Mac Pro? Man... I'd be mad if I needed a new Mac Pro and had to wait a year possibly.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Roller
macrumors 65816

Funny that the "most encouraging" rumor is the most nebulous and tagged "not dead yet." I'd love to see Apple come out with a new computer that's in between the iMac and current Mac Pro.
Roller is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Funny that the "most encouraging" rumor is the most nebulous and tagged "not dead yet." I'd love to see Apple come out with a new computer that's in between the iMac and current Mac Pro.
You mean like the whispered "mid tower" Mac? I like that idea. But, to be honest, the Mac Mini has some serious horsepower.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:16 AM   #5
windels
macrumors regular

macbook pro line integration

Any word on what will happen with the price of a macbook pro when they are going to integrate the product line?
windels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
pandamonia
Banned

There is a lack of excitement about apple releases now. Whats the point in looking forward to rehash of last years products.
pandamonia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
wildmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
Cook really said "later next year" for the Mac Pro? Man... I'd be mad if I needed a new Mac Pro and had to wait a year possibly.
Yeah, I'm finally at the point I need to look at the dark side. I'm running some 64-bit software and my 5-year old MacPro continually has it's pipes clogged. Once that tax return check comes, there better be some strong indicators of hardware soon.
wildmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:30 AM   #8
SmokyD
macrumors regular

Is it time for a return of the Cube?

A silent workstation class computer in between the current Mini and Pro, with easy expandability, running silently. If they make one, count me in.
SmokyD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Not gonna happen, I think.

Personally, I'd love to see a full-blown MacPro on steroids. I can see them scaling down the overall form factor tho.
Santabean2000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:40 AM   #10
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
You mean like the whispered "mid tower" Mac? I like that idea. But, to be honest, the Mac Mini has some serious horsepower.
Upgradable discrete graphics and I buy my first Mac.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Viva La Mac Pro!
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 AM   #12
prfrma
macrumors regular

iMac was a pretty big win - I don't think I saw any correct rumours about the new form factor.
prfrma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #13
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
Upgradable discrete graphics and I buy my first Mac.
The 2011 MacMini, model MC816XX/A had a AMD Radeon 6630M option, albeit with 256 MB of VRAM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #14
AQUADock
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfrma View Post
iMac was a pretty big win - I don't think I saw any correct rumours about the new form factor.
Yes there was, 2012 imac internals and a stament saying it would be very thin around the edges.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Still want a retina MBA...

Last edited by Allenbf; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Allenbf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:01 AM   #16
iphone495
macrumors member

Let's not forget, the year is not over, there COULD be more leaks to come.
iphone495 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:07 AM   #17
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone495 View Post
Let's not forget, the year is not over, there COULD be more leaks to come.
Technically though, they would be for 2013 products since one thing is sure : no new products are coming out this year.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
The 2011 MacMini, model MC816XX/A had a AMD Radeon 6630M option, albeit with 256 MB of VRAM.
I meant a desktop variant that could upgraded down the road ala the mac pro

even if it has to be 'mac flashed' or whatever the term is for the mac compatible vid cards on ebay.

no mobile chips!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:17 AM   #19
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
I meant a desktop variant that could upgraded down the road ala the mac pro

even if it has to be 'mac flashed' or whatever the term is for the mac compatible vid cards on ebay.

no mobile chips!
In a Mac Mini... keep dreaming, not happening.

The 2011 Mac Mini still had discrete graphics, no matter how you slice it.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #20

slow news day?
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:28 AM   #21
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

The Verge is saying that the US built macs will be mac minis.
PeterQVenkman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:31 AM   #22
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
In a Mac Mini... keep dreaming, not happening.

yea, Im not debating that.

Just saying macs are a nobuy for me until they have upgradable desktop discrete graphics.

I can't justify the price tag on the current mac pro.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:20 PM   #23
bigpics
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
slow news day?
Typical "year in review" and "best of" fillers for the holiday season - easy to put up because they can mostly be done with cut and paste... ...and endemic in many media, not just tech gadget sites....
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:25 PM   #24
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Mac Pro: Not Dead Yet
...but in a permanent vegetative state
ArchAndroid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:38 PM   #25
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

loopy

That purple loop pile carpet (or rug or whatever it is) upon which is a part of a finished Macbook pro, with the rest of it tantalisingly out of frame is as burned into my brain as any of the most famous iconic photos of the 20th century.

----------

Quote:
I
The the graphics card that it did have was a mobile model, no matter how you slice it.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion