Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
meknows
macrumors newbie

charging advice.

Hi this is my first post here so Hi and hope you had a good christmas.
I got an Ipad 3 for christmas and seen it uses lithium polymer battery.
My question is i use LiPo's all the time and the Ipad charger takes forever to charge this thing up. I don't want it charging over night knowing what damage it can do. Does anyone know what cell count and what capacity the battery is so i can charge using my LiPo charger through the modified usb cable.
My LiPo charger is a powerlab8.
Happy new year peeps.
meknows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

What damage will it do overnight? Just use the iPad charger over night and you'll be fine. I know you're just trying to take care of your new device but you're overthinking this a little.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

I have the original iPad and use the charger that came from Apple and I let it charge overnight every night. Never had a problem.
Ashwood11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:20 AM   #4
meknows
macrumors newbie

i'm more worried about the battery, I would like to charge it in 60min while i'm awake. I know it has to be a 1cell I think, but the amount of time it takes they have to be wired in parallel to get the capacity up. If it was a lithium ion, or LiFe battery i wouldn't worry. But being LiPo which is an angry battery it does worry me a bit. I have to say this is an awesome device and my first i device.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by meknows View Post
i'm more worried about the battery, I would like to charge it in 60min while i'm awake. I know it has to be a 1cell I think, but the amount of time it takes they have to be wired in parallel to get the capacity up. If it was a lithium ion, or LiFe battery i wouldn't worry. But being LiPo which is an angry battery it does worry me a bit. I have to say this is an awesome device and my first i device.
If your iPad's battery is low, it's not going to reach a full charge in 60 minutes. There is no damage to the battery when charging overnight. The charge automatically stops when the battery is recharged. Easily confirmed just by touching the brick (power adapter) the next morning. It will be cold.

Angry battery??? Your being a bit paranoid.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html
Aspasia is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Does anyone know what cell count and what capacity the battery is so i can charge using my LiPo charger through the modified usb cable.
My LiPo charger is a powerlab8.
DO NOT CHARGE YOUR BATTERY this way. First, you really can't without dissassembly. The ipad has built in charging circuitry. You would need to bypass this to use a custom charger like this. Simple plugging more juice into the existing dock connector isn't going to change anything and may damage the charging circuits.

Only use a USB spec'd or apple spec'd powersupply. Again the actual charger is built into the ipad, the usb portion is just a power supply which the internal ipad charger will regulate.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
If your iPad's battery is low, it's not going to reach a full charge in 60 minutes. There is no damage to the battery when charging overnight. The charge automatically stops when the battery is recharged. ...

Angry battery??? Your being a bit paranoid.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html
Yeah, OP is talking about using their own lipo charger. And using these you can see how angry lipo's can get by 'cooking' them too long. However its just not going to be realistic with the ipad.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
Yeah, OP is talking about using their own lipo charger. And using these you can see how angry lipo's can get by 'cooking' them too long. However its just not going to be realistic with the ipad.
Thanks. I guess this is an angry battery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIOEPnsgbI
Aspasia is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:03 PM   #8
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
I know it has to be a 1cell I think, but the amount of time it takes they have to be wired in parallel to get the capacity up.
Are you qualified to make this distinction?

Again, you are over-thinking this. Just use the charger that came with the iPad and you won't have any problems/damage.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:26 PM   #9
meknows
macrumors newbie

Not qualified in lithium polymer technology but experienced with it.
It charges using a usb port 5V you can't charge anything higher than 1cell lipo using 5V volts.
To increase capacity you wire up each cell in parallel, like making the fuel tank bigger, but wired in parallel the voltage remains the same, no matter how many cells you use.
Using my charger it's impossible to increase the voltage to the battery as they are all pre set for cell count specific, but what you can do is increase the amps to charge quicker. Looking at 1 hour which would be battery capacity/1000mA
The same difference from using a lower powered ipad charger to a higher powered ipad charger.
So my plan was connecting to the usb relevant pins and charging faster, and stopping the charge at 4.19V as this increases the battery life. So the charger would stop before the ipad circuitry stops. But i would need to check the charge just in case.
So while it might sound silly using this, I think it's reasonable as i'm only after a quicker charge and I believe a safer charge.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:18 AM   #10
meknows
macrumors newbie

After a bit more searching I found out it uses the blocked usb charging. Oh well, is there a more powerful usb adapter than the stock 10W that comes with the ipad3
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:24 AM   #11
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
After a bit more searching I found out it uses the blocked usb charging. Oh well, is there a more powerful usb adapter than the stock 10W that comes with the ipad3
Yes, Apple sells a 12w power adapter for 19.00.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:49 AM   #12
meknows
macrumors newbie

Nice, i was hoping it was going to be nearer the 20W area. Thank you all, if i never asked i would of went ahead and tried this.
No it wasn't that lipo burning that give me the idea they are angry, There old videos that was deliberately over charged by plugging straight into mains outlet. I got the worry from the old dell laptops.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #13
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nice, i was hoping it was going to be nearer the 20W area. Thank you all, if i never asked i would of went ahead and tried this.
No it wasn't that lipo burning that give me the idea they are angry, There old videos that was deliberately over charged by plugging straight into mains outlet. I got the worry from the old dell laptops.
The ipad battery is not LiPo anyways. They are Li-Ion. Faster charging = more heat. More heat = battery damage. I would charge within spec and only use chargers apple recommends or with similar specs.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:12 PM   #14
meknows
macrumors newbie

No, they are LiPo.
ipad2
ipad4
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:48 PM   #15
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

"Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to*music
Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network
Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system"
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:44 PM   #16
dreamerdonkey
macrumors member

Why bother. Just use the charger which is you found with your iPad. I use my iPad for read books and at night I left it with its charger plugged. And yet I still don't have any battery related problem.

Being cautious is good but being over cautious is a disease.
dreamerdonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting