Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
All they need to do is get the iPod Nano 6G and add functionality and a decent watch strap to it!

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I think this would be great!

I have had such incredible good luck with every Apple product I have purchased that I think I would even stop wearing the Rolex GMT Master I have been using since 1989 if they do this.

I can't believe all the Apple haters that infest this blog.

Apple is an unreservedly great company that makes excellent products and richly deserve the success they have achieved.

People still wear watches. I gave enough of them as gifts this Christmas to people who asked for them that any rumor of their demise is sadly mistaken.

I look forward to Apple entering any market since I can be reasonably assured they will improve the products available.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
By the time you will ensure all component connectivity compliance and seamless data transmission with updates, new apps downloads, reading all information, hooking it up to a number of places depending on usage ....you will have no time left in a course of the day to do anything fun, anything life related. Lat more expensive, I opt for a good mechanical automatic mechanism from a swiss maker. Effectively it gives me a lot more time.

ToddFSU

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Geneva, IL
Need

I wear a watch ($10 watch from a big box store :rolleyes:) but I'd love to be able to glance down to see if someone has tried to contact me.

I work in a place with a fair amount of noise and distraction. I miss calls, texts and emails every day.

This rumor could be true, and could explain the change in size of the Nano, which I was certain that one day it could be able to connect to an iOS device.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Boy, is Dick Tracy jealous...

Attachments

• Dick Tracy.png
    Dick Tracy.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,745

xFiGGiE

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
I regret backing pebble every single day. It has taken them so long to figure out production when Apple can make something 10x better in just a couple of days. The pebble guys had a great idea and a great vision, but they were obviously in way over their heads. If this story is true my I won't even open the box before I put the pebble up on craigslist or ebay.

i got the hacker special...they are 6months late on my delivery...and counting

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Terrible idea. Fake rumor. The iPhone put the watch industry out of business. Nobody wears or cares about watches anymore, unless it's an old-school analog watch which makes a jewelry fashion statement. If Apple did stupidly come out with a watch, it would bomb big time, and prove that innovation at Apple died when Steve died.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I'm still waiting for the Squidget:
5948.jpg

But I side with those who do not wear watches. I have not worn one in over twenty years.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
So you really enjoy the fact that the everybody in your surrounding can hear your phone conversation while speaking against your watch....

I see Apple going downhill entering a niche market as nobody wears watches anymore.

Umm, did you notice that Pebble was the all time leader in Kickstarter funding? I sponsored it.

Fact is, there are a lot of reasons why something like this would succeed. You're on your bike, and using MapMyRide or Strava to track your ride. But you have your iPhone in your pack. The Pebble/Apple-Intel watch on your wrist can report to you your current speed, distance traveled, heart rate, etc. It can also pop up and show you text messages or calls, so you can decide whether to stop to answer or keep riding. Same is true for running. With the Apple watch you would likely be able to push a button and ask Siri the weather, or sports scores, and have them reported back to you without having to take your iPhone out of your pocket.

Oh, and by the way, I wear a Movado every day. I see a lot of other people wearing watches, also.

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

it could be cool but not as cool as google project glass imo. Also I don't want an extension to my phone. I want it to have its own data connection and work just like my phone does only with complete voice control instead of a virtual keyboard

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Believe it or not it is still frowned upon to pull your phone out in many situations. This allows you to just do a quick glance at your wrist and not have to take out your phone. I wear a watch every day, always have. Also when you're strolling through the crappy parts of the city it's a bad idea to have your phone out.

I am all for this. I bought a meta watch since the pebbles weren't out yet. It's a little weird at first but I find it very useful, especially at work. I can glance at my wrist and gauge from there whether or not that particular notification demands immediate attention or not. The watch battery lasts several days and the impact on the iPhone battery is minimal.

Watches are basically the only wearable electronic device that ever caught on. That's because they provided some absolutely critical information (the time) that is by its nature glanceable information. Watches were the most efficient way to take the time with you - what alternatives where there to watches?

Even then, lots of people didn't like them because they were wearable - if you leave it on all day, your arm can get sweaty and uncomfortable, it catches on your shirt sleeves, doesn't match your outfit, is too difficult to put on and remove, whatever. Lots of people never liked watches.

I also doubt that having a hunk of Apple strapped to your wrist is "safer" than an iPhone in your pocket. Firstly, I don't think an iPhone particularly (as opposed to any other branded smartphone) makes you more likely to be attacked. iPhones are rather common these days, even amongst the plebs. Secondly, it'll be easy enough to spot the guy following his wrist rather than his phone. This wouldn't be announced in a vacuum - the day after this thing is announced most people on the planet will have heard of it.

Peeking your phone from out of your pocket and tapping the unlock button can in many situations be even more discreet than looking at your watch.

The case for having something like this is pretty weak IMO. It's definitely not the first time somebody's thought of a super-watch that could make video calls or browse the web or whatever: none of them have caught on. They've all had cool, futuristic, hyped-up receptions and then flopped once people saw the price, how stupid they look, and the excruciatingly thin value proposition.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I regret backing pebble every single day. It has taken them so long to figure out production when Apple can make something 10x better in just a couple of days. The pebble guys had a great idea and a great vision, but they were obviously in way over their heads. If this story is true my I won't even open the box before I put the pebble up on craigslist or ebay.

This is me, except for the regret part. I don't regret backing pebble. I wish they'd get these shipped, but given the fact that this is a new product, and a new type of product I would rather they take a little longer and do it right.

However, I do believe than anything Apple makes will be better integrated with my ecosystem, and I would likely look really hard at replacing my Pebble with it. The guys at Pebble better hurry up and get to shipping. Otherwise they're only going to sell the original backers' units, and have no on going business. Or else they'll just have to move over and exclusively design for Android. And we know how cheap Android users are :)

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
All of the smart watches I've seen, whether stand alone or iPod Nano-based, are absolute travesties style-wise, and frankly, wrist watches are fashion accessories.
If Apple can make one that is actually attractive (maybe ven elegant ), they could have something. Otherwise these will continue to just be geek toys to show off at Comicon.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It could be a new "iFuelBand" type of device.

I've got a Nike FuelBand and if Apple combined it with proper iFunctionality, that would be exciting.

Wearable fitness is the future.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Boy, is Dick Tracy jealous...

Just the other day I was talking with friends about why there is no Dick Tracy watch. Surely it could be done with today's technology.

Sure, plenty of people still wear watches. I've got a Fossil on right now. In fact, watch sales are growing. The fact that your idevices can do many things doesn't make them the easiest or most convenient or best way to do any one thing--the usual drawback of the multifunction device. It's not as easy to look at a phone when the phone is in a pocket or a bag.

And let's face it, as nice as some Apple designs are, they aren't as nice as a vintage Hamilton.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Instead of a watch I want a Siri-enabled button/badge with a built-in mic and speaker, that one can tap to activate Siri while my phone is still safely tucked away. Every Trekkie on the planet would buy one. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.