Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I just came back from the apple store and was told that the Att mini comes unlocked, but the VZ does not. I have the VZ mini and confirm it doesn't come unlocked. Has anyone tried Att?

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I just came back from the apple store and was told that the Att mini comes unlocked, but the VZ does not. I have the VZ mini and confirm it doesn't come unlocked. Has anyone tried Att?

You can put in AT&T Sim card in a Verizon iPad mini and use their 3G network. It does not come locked down.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
You can put in AT&T Sim card in a Verizon iPad mini and use their 3G network. It does not come locked down.

Really? I have an ATT iphone 5. I put the sim into my ipad and it recognized the sim (the upper left corner said att), but when I go to use the internet I receive an error sim card and tell me to purchase a subscripion.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Really? I have an ATT iphone 5. I put the sim into my ipad and it recognized the sim (the upper left corner said att), but when I go to use the internet I receive an error sim card and tell me to purchase a subscripion.

Go to unlockit.co.nz and select the correct apn. I'm using my mini with my dumbphone data ^_^

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Go to unlockit.co.nz and select the correct apn. I'm using my mini with my dumbphone data ^_^

That didn't work. I clicked on the apn on the bottom and chose my country and verizon. Nothing happened. What does this actually do? I checked with my Att sim, but still no luck.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
That didn't work. I clicked on the apn on the bottom and chose my country and verizon. Nothing happened. What does this actually do? I checked with my Att sim, but still no luck.

Did you bother to read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the site you are asking about?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

iPads are not locked. They will only work on LTE on their respective carriers, however any of them will work with a GSM 3G network worldwide, as long as the frequency matches. That doesn't mean you can put an iPhone sim and expect it to work though.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
what is the point of putting an AT&T iPad on Verizon? Can someone tell me why in the world would they want to do that?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
what is the point of putting an AT&T iPad on Verizon? Can someone tell me why in the world would they want to do that?

Bcs I work in NYC and the Verizon LTE in my building is non existant. The Att service is much better.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Why would you pick Verizon? You had an att sim correct? Probably oh from your iphone so you use the apn "phone". Make sure the drop down menu you select is att (phone) then it'll activate and work.

Like i said, I'm using the samething but with my medianet plan. $10+$10 (add a line + unlimited data) = unlimited tablet data. No lte but ill manage

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
then sell the iPad and pay the difference to get the other one.

Verizon works better at home. This way I get the best of both worlds.

----------

Why would you pick Verizon? You had an att sim correct? Probably oh from your iphone so you use the apn "phone". Make sure the drop down menu you select is att (phone) then it'll activate and work.

Like i said, I'm using the samething but with my medianet plan. $10+$10 (add a line + unlimited data) = unlimited tablet data. No lte but ill manage

Thanks for your help, but I don't see ATT (phone) as a frop down. I only see At&T, At&T (Blue), At&T (Broadband), At&T (HSPA+), AT&T (isp.cingular) and At&t (wap.cingular)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.