Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Forzalex
macrumors newbie

How to download Xcode on my iPad?

See this is my problem. I have not worked out how to download Xcode on my iPad! I realise that this bodes ill for my attempts at programming but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be hugely grateful.
Forzalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:49 AM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzalex View Post
See this is my problem. I have not worked out how to download Xcode on my iPad! I realise that this bodes ill for my attempts at programming but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be hugely grateful.
Xcode doesn't run on an iPad. It only runs on a Mac, with an OS X version of Lion 10.7 or later.

You can't download things to your iPad unless they will actually run on the iPad. Since Xcode doesn't run on iPad, you can't download it to one.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
ytk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzalex View Post
Bite your tongue. The thought of Apple porting Xcode to the iPad is… horrifying. And yet, I feel it's probably coming.

(All of you out there who have been watching the Mac die a slow death as Apple becomes iOS, Inc. know what I'm talking about.)
ytk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4
macman7002
macrumors regular

While Xcode is not available for the iPad, there are several text editors for writing and editing code that are. My favorite happens to be the Textastic app. It's available for iPad and iPhone, and it's worth a look.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
larswik
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytk View Post
Bite your tongue. The thought of Apple porting Xcode to the iPad is… horrifying. And yet, I feel it's probably coming.

(All of you out there who have been watching the Mac die a slow death as Apple becomes iOS, Inc. know what I'm talking about.)
Bite your tongue - The day I have to do everything on ios, ipad like, I will leave technology behind and grow corn far away from computers.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Sydde
macrumors 68000

There is, however, a C Interpreter App that you could theoretically use to test bits of code. Since it cannot install compiled code, Apple has allowed it on the app store.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:50 AM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
There is, however, a C Interpreter App that you could theoretically use to test bits of code. Since it cannot install compiled code, Apple has allowed it on the app store.
Hmmm... very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming