Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Jason Garza
macrumors member

Video Player Recommendation for iPad

I am looking for a Video Player app that can play the videos from my camera roll. I would like to be able to save a playlist. It would be cool if it had a shuffle feature but not super important. Paid or free not important. I know I can do this from the camera roll but my kids keep hitting something and ending back at the camera. Any ideas?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
dreamerdonkey
macrumors member

Try AVPlayerHD. Its not free. But it will fulfill your requirements
dreamerdonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerdonkey View Post
Try AVPlayerHD. Its not free. But it will fulfill your requirements
Unfortunately, in this case, it won't - it can't access the camera roll at all.

I recommend one of the following players for this:

RockPlayer2 (free; latest review: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...48&postcount=9 )

yaPlayer ($3; latest review: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...30&postcount=6 )

GoodPlayer ($3)

All three are solid titles if you know their limitations (not affecting Camera Rolll playback) and use some other players for formats they aren't particularly good at playing back.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Too bad VLC Player was removed, it has helped me many times.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Too bad VLC Player was removed, it has helped me many times.
VLC (the version that was availabe back then in 2010 and is currently available in Cydia) is far worse than the most recommended, current players (It's Playing, GoodPlayer, AVPlayerHD). We don't lose much.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Siennawalk
macrumors newbie

It will also play a great many audio formats. The interface is not pretty, but I'd say VLC is indispensable.
Siennawalk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennawalk View Post
It will also play a great many audio formats. The interface is not pretty, but I'd say VLC is indispensable.
Yup, it does play audio files too. So do a LOT of AppStore apps. I've even published a lot of articles on playing back formats like OGA, FLAC etc. (And I also elaborate on the ability to play back those in all my multimedia articles / reviews of new apps, also posted here at MR.)

And, as a video player, as has been pointed out by me above, it's clearly worse than any current, top-level player with an up-to-date H.264 / SSA etc. decoder. There is simply no contest - VLC is waaaaaaaay worse when it comes to video playback (speed, efficiency, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, features like gesture-based ffwd/rewind etc).

That is, I'm not sure VLC is unmatched, not even on the audio front. Not at all.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:10 PM   #8
chx678
macrumors newbie

Azul Media Player.
chx678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chx678 View Post
Azul Media Player.
Not recommended. I just don't see any point in preferring it to high-end players like AVPlayerHD, It's Playing, HD Player Pro, nPlayer or, if you jailbreak, XBMC or RushPlayer+. It has far fewer features, considerably worse decoders etc. than the just-listed players.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #10
chx678
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Not recommended. I just don't see any point in preferring it to high-end players like AVPlayerHD, It's Playing, HD Player Pro, nPlayer or, if you jailbreak, XBMC or RushPlayer+. It has far fewer features, considerably worse decoders etc. than the just-listed players.
He or she wasnt asking for a high end player, but ok. I hear ya.
chx678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chx678 View Post
He or she wasnt asking for a high end player, but ok. I hear ya.
Well, Azul costs the same as AVPlayerHD but still delivers WAAAAY worse efficiency, stability etc. I just don't see any point in preferring it to a vastly better, more standards-compliance, much more battery-friendly title - for the same price.

(Please check out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16949289 for more info.)
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:02 AM   #12
benlinus121
macrumors newbie

OPlayer Lite, A really good video player for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch made by Jonathan Young. This application showed one of the best results both for audio and video playback for all the files. OPlayer Lite plays almost all possible movie and audio file formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, MPG, MP4, Webm, VOB, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC etc. Subtitles support is also available for free for hard and prerendered subs in SMI, ASS, SUB, SRT, TXT and many other formats. The player has also a multiple audio track support, so you can easily change your audio without any pauses. As for the interface it can be a bit difficult at the beginning, but you’ll need just a couple of minutes to make it clear. One more thing to mention is that Oplayer has a built-in browser with download feature so you can easily save the media you like.
benlinus121 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:45 AM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlinus121 View Post
OPlayer Lite, A really good video player for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch made by Jonathan Young. This application showed one of the best results both for audio and video playback for all the files. OPlayer Lite plays almost all possible movie and audio file formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, MPG, MP4, Webm, VOB, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC etc. Subtitles support is also available for free for hard and prerendered subs in SMI, ASS, SUB, SRT, TXT and many other formats. The player has also a multiple audio track support, so you can easily change your audio without any pauses. As for the interface it can be a bit difficult at the beginning, but you’ll need just a couple of minutes to make it clear. One more thing to mention is that Oplayer has a built-in browser with download feature so you can easily save the media you like.
Not recommended. In my tests (check out my articles here at MR), it has proved worse than the best players in most respects. That is, if you want absolutely the best, go for something else.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:04 PM   #14
crashnburn
macrumors regular

Can any of them do variety of PLAYLISTS?

I'd like to use varying playlists for different workouts, music videos etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Unfortunately, in this case, it won't - it can't access the camera roll at all.

I recommend one of the following players for this:

RockPlayer2 (free; latest review: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...48&postcount=9 )

yaPlayer ($3; latest review: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...30&postcount=6 )

GoodPlayer ($3)

All three are solid titles if you know their limitations (not affecting Camera Rolll playback) and use some other players for formats they aren't particularly good at playing back.
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps