Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathanm1222

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I currently have Office on my MacBook. I just purchased a new iMac but I have not bought the SuperDrive (yet). Is there a way to install the Office suite on the iMac from the MacBook without the SuperDrive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I currently have Office on my MacBook. I just purchased a new iMac but I have not bought the SuperDrive (yet). Is there a way to install the Office suite on the iMac from the MacBook without the SuperDrive?
You can buy and download Office for Mac directly from the MS site.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

Users of Macs without optical drives can either buy an Apple USB SuperDrive (or other optical drive) or use DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc when they need access to an optical drive. There are some limitations on using Remote Disc (read the link for details).

If you have a Mac model that does have an optical drive, you can still enable this feature by entering the following commands in Terminal, then relaunch Finder:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true​

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Yes, just use Migration Assistant to move apps only over. You may have to reenter your serial number, but the app at least will be there without having to reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.