Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
I figured that this would be interesting, to know how everybody got here, and what keeps them here.

For me, MR is the only place where I can "fit in", at school, I have no friends, and I have been outed from all of the "nerdy" social groups because of my Aspergers. At home, my dad avoids me, my mom is dead (and was an ignorant drunk anyways), and even if my dad didn't avoid me, all we really do is argue. At first, I came hare to get help when I got a G4 from a teacher, but then I realized that I am actually really good at helping people (at least I try to be) and I took a computer apps class last year that had a part on Google searching (I almost failed that class because it was in the only computer lab that could play minecraft), im better, but I will never master the search like Mr. Retrofire. This forum is better than my home, and I would like to thank all of you.

Last edited:

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I've been lurking on it for a while and I thought it would be a good place to be able to talk about Apple. I also find it useful for technical help. I don't post all the time but I always enjoy it when I do.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I lurked round for a couple years & then when I started working part time fixing computers, iPods, iPhones, etc... I registered to help people out here where I could.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm a sad and pathetic person in desperate need of human contact.

Also, it's a great place to learn stuff, and also to make snotty comments without anyone knowing who I am.

:p :rolleyes:

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I was taking a class one day where we had to use Macbook Pros provided by our school. When I used it I thought to myself "Holy **** this is a good laptop". Since then, I gained interest in more of Apple's hardware and I figured that this would be a good place to learn more about it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I joined because I was searching for a solution to a problem I was having and found help here. Then I stuck around learning more and eventually was able to help others.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I joined to get help with some technical issues I had with my iBook. I kept coming back in the short-term as I thought it was a good place to make jokes and be an all around PITA. After I while I realized it was a real community and I stuck around because I liked the place.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Years ago I talked with a colleague about buying new Apple stuff and he pointed me to the Buyer's Guide here.

Then I did the "big mistake" :eek: start reading the forum and after some years signing up and asking the one or other question, answered the one or other question and got stucked here. :)

I like the huge level of knowledge and people are willing to volunteer in sharing that with high patience to those asking for help; In some areas I appreciate the exchange of thoughts about general topics (politics, religion, art, design, ...)

A nice place to be ... :)

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
I was taking a class one day where we had to use Macbook Pros provided by our school. When I used it I thought to myself "Holy **** this is a good laptop". Since then, I gained interest in more of Apple's hardware and I figured that this would be a good place to learn more about it.

I have a similar intro story, my dad (when we did get along) got a iPhone 3Gs, once he got that, I got a iPod touch, and then somehow started in the Mac direction.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I joined very recently just a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a new 2012 27" iMac and being new to Mac (always used windows PC in the past) thought I would learn a thing or two here.

Already from reading through the forum I have learnt enough to get me started, the very basics and what apps I will need to start off with etc.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My tale is similar to that of many others who have already posted.

In 2008, after mulling it over for quite a while, I bought a MBP for myself as a belated birthday present. I'm one of those who 'switched' to Apple as a result of what the marketing people refer to as the 'halo' effect of the iPod. In fact, it wasn't so much the iPod itself, much though I loved it, as the excellent service I received when the HDD on two separate iPods, in turn, died (fortunately, while they were each still under warranty). Anyway, they were replaced without any problem, and that impressed me.

After buying the MBP, there was much to learn, and I tripped over this forum in search of answers. In common with many, I was a lurker for months. Then, need compelled me to join - the need to find an answer to a question. Curiosity compelled exploration of the forum, and I liked what I saw and decided to stay and if possible, return the favour by answering questions where I was in a position to do so.

Oh, and also to get involved in some political brawls, er, deep and meaningful, full and frank, and occasionally, rather robust, exchanges of views.

On a more serious level, I like the community, and have also found the wide variety of people here very interesting. It is the first time in my life that I have actively participated in an online community, and I have enjoyed it hugely and have also learned a lot from it. Plus, I've met a few very nice friends here, too.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
I use it to get advice and to learn. Also to try and help convince myself to return the notebook I recently purchased loaded with &/(;;@&-/ Windows 8 and exchange it for a MacBook Pro. :)

To the OP, thank *you* for your help in the forum!!

Jeff

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I can't remember, but this might be a good guess.

duty_calls.png

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I joined because I was looking to switch from a PC to a Mac. This forum was a good source of information as I made the transition.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I lurked for a long time reading articles and forum posts and then one day joined so that I could ask for help with a project I was working on. It's all downhill from there as I've been fairly active ever since.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Information. I was an iPhone/Apple n00b back when I bought my iPhone 3G. I'm pretty tech savvy however I've never used such a device and was unfamiliar with "Apple" as a whole and how they operated. After getting a few tips/tricks here and there from the iPhone forum, I thought this would be a great place to come, at the very least, for some technical "support" with my phone. Fast forward a couple years and I have acquired a MBP, iPad, iPod as well as an Apple TV. As each new toy I got, I started sprawling out into the other sections of this forum seeking more information/tips/reviews/opinions and such and it has been quite beneficial. Now that I've gotten well acclimated to the products and such from Apple, I like to offer any input I can for newbies as they start coming into things like the iPhone/iPad/MBP and such. I'm a part of numerous other forums, as I'm sure many others here are, however I do find myself logging into this one on a daily basis.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm a sad and pathetic person in desperate need of human contact.

Also, it's a great place to learn stuff, and also to make snotty comments without anyone knowing who I am.

:p :rolleyes:

I can vouch for this...! He is all he describes...! Seriously? I've enjoyed my time here, and have made friends too..When I return to the States ( Finally) I will have a lot of driving to do!..:)

Oh, BTW, that Shrink guy?...He's okay really:D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was looking to buy a PowerBook and wanted to ask some questions about it. Also signed up to Think Secret and (I think it was called) Mac Teen.

The good old days :).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I originally came here to talk Mac Gaming, but I love the relative freedom for rousing political discussion. The last Mac gaming site I hung out on (years ago) was oppressively moderated. MacRumors offers just the right balance, allowing rich, two sided conversation. Thank you moderators and Happy Holidays! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.