Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Using a spare iOS device as an Apple TV

I have an iPod touch 4th Gen lying around. I want to make it like an Apple TV (stream into it). I have a 30-pin to VGA adapter connected to my TV. Does anyone know what I have to do (or if it's even possible) to make something like this work?
Nobita is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

If you added in an Airport Express I guess you could stream via that, but with the ATV so cheap....You might be better of grabbing one...Apple re-furbs are also available.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
If you added in an Airport Express I guess you could stream via that, but with the ATV so cheap....You might be better of grabbing one...Apple re-furbs are also available.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. But I'm very low on budget that if I'd have to whip out $99 bucks I'd rather watch my tv shows on my cheap dell screen as I always do. Thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4
NestOfRobins
macrumors member

My son recently upgraded his Touch 3G for a 5G and I decided to use the old 3G as a video player, especially since we have the 30pin to HDMI and 30pin to composite cables.

I jailbroke the 3G and installed VLC for watching when we are travelling. I will simply load the movies onto the device for when we are not at home.

I also installed XBMC for when we are home and have access to the WiFi so we can watch movies stored on the network.
NestOfRobins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobita View Post
I have an iPod touch 4th Gen lying around. I want to make it like an Apple TV (stream into it). I have a 30-pin to VGA adapter connected to my TV. Does anyone know what I have to do (or if it's even possible) to make something like this work?
AirPlay won't work; everything else (SMB, UPnP etc.) will, assuming you use the right player. As you already jailbreak, XBMC will be one of the best choices for streaming targets - and it also supports TV out via HDMI / VGA.

Please check out my streaming- and XBMC-dedicated articles (all here at MR) for more info.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
AirPlay won't work; everything else (SMB, UPnP etc.) will, assuming you use the right player. As you already jailbreak, XBMC will be one of the best choices for streaming targets - and it also supports TV out via HDMI / VGA.

Please check out my streaming- and XBMC-dedicated articles (all here at MR) for more info.
Well, I've been using Air Video. The only problem that I don't like is I've got to get up the couch to choose which movie to watch next. I was thinking I could have somehow route AirPlay to my iPod so I don't have to get up the couch.

Thanks for the help anyway, I know this is just me trying to avoid getting up from my couch, but thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Carlanga
macrumors 603

You would still need a cable for sound since you are going the VGA route.
I think is better if you just take your laptop and your VGA cable and mirror the screen on the tv instead
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
jinx1000
macrumors member

Streamtome allows you to control the currently playing video player remotely. Pause fast forward, etc.

You could use veency (on cydia) and a vnc app to launch the next video.

I think this would work and be controllable from another Idevice on your couch.

----------

Or you could use airserver (on cydia) to stream to the device connected to your tv. Probably easier.
jinx1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:13 PM   #9
nickharris1992
macrumors member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NestOfRobins View Post
My son recently upgraded his Touch 3G for a 5G and I decided to use the old 3G as a video player, especially since we have the 30pin to HDMI and 30pin to composite cables.

I jailbroke the 3G and installed VLC for watching when we are travelling. I will simply load the movies onto the device for when we are not at home.

I also installed XBMC for when we are home and have access to the WiFi so we can watch movies stored on the network.
You can do all of what you just said without jailbreaking it. I take all of my movies and run them through a product called Episode. Then put them on my in my dropbox. It will cost you a bit but it is a much simpler solution. I dont like to deal with VLC because if something goes wrong there is no VLC Customer service. Just my 2

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks