Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Is there any email/contact you can ask Apple if your "allowed" to make a specific type of app?

or is it a case of read the developers rules as such and obey them? I want to make an app that I dont think is allowed at moment switch off BT/WiFi etc?

I think this would be greatly received and work well, and is what Apple iOS user would need?

cheers

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'll save you a lot of reading and a waste of an email.

Dear xxxxx

No you cannot write an app to do that.

Cheers

God!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'll save you a lot of reading and a waste of an email.

Dear xxxxx

No you cannot write an app to do that.

Cheers

God!
Honestly though is that what would be said? if so its pointless, although as I dont use Xcode, do the development tools even allow you to write this in the 1st place anyway?

cheers

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
There aren't public APIs to switch on and off BT/WiFi/etc, that's why you only see those apps for jailbroken phones. I had a BT toggle and WiFi toggle app rejected, and that's when they had an open URL scheme for doing it. The reasoning was that the URL scheme wasn't publicly documented and could change at any time. Sure enough, next iOS update they changed it so that the apps wouldn't work. If that's what you're trying to do with your app, don't waste your time. You might get lucky and sneak it by a lazy reviewer, but as soon as it gets some press, it'll get pulled.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
There aren't public APIs to switch on and off BT/WiFi/etc, that's why you only see those apps for jailbroken phones. I had a BT toggle and WiFi toggle app rejected, and that's when they had an open URL scheme for doing it. The reasoning was that the URL scheme wasn't publicly documented and could change at any time. Sure enough, next iOS update they changed it so that the apps wouldn't work. If that's what you're trying to do with your app, don't waste your time. You might get lucky and sneak it by a lazy reviewer, but as soon as it gets some press, it'll get pulled.

Not sure at all how its done, but I was honestly prepared to learn from scratch how to do it and code it as an app to do it, but dont want to waste time if its not allowed anyway.

I think this would sell loads, as a lot of iOS iPhone users want this dont they? I know I do!

no use in emailing either then :confused:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Not sure at all how its done, but I was honestly prepared to learn from scratch how to do it and code it as an app to do it, but dont want to waste time if its not allowed anyway.

I think this would sell loads, as a lot of iOS iPhone users want this dont they? I know I do!

no use in emailing either then :confused:

They're telling you that in the past these types of apps got pulled, so no, don't even bother.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Is there any email/contact you can ask Apple if your "allowed" to make a specific type of app?

or is it a case of read the developers rules as such and obey them? I want to make an app that I dont think is allowed at moment switch off BT/WiFi etc?

I think this would be greatly received and work well, and is what Apple iOS user would need?

cheers

Cannot be done using the public APIs, which means Apple will not allow it in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.