Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Griggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hey everybody,

I do plan to buy an Apple TV 3rd generation, however I do have the following question:

Can the AppleTV access a shared iTunes library?

NOT a home sharing library - a shared library - please don't mix this up. Sharing your iTunes library can be found in iTunes -> Preferences -> Sharing -> "Share my library on my local network" (see screenshot).
I haven't found a clear answer because either people mix up these things or they just say that home sharing works. Can somebody please verify this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Christian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 14.30.46.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 14.30.46.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 167

Griggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply!

But this kinda sucks - I can't imagine/I don't want to run at least one PC all the time I want to watch something on my Apple TV (I don't even have my whole video/music library on any device in my home except on my NAS). I thought I could stream anything wirelessly from my NAS to the AppleTV...

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Thank you very much for your reply!

But this kinda sucks - I can't imagine/I don't want to run at least one PC all the time I want to watch something on my Apple TV (I don't even have my whole video/music library on any device in my home except on my NAS). I thought I could stream anything wirelessly from my NAS to the AppleTV...

If you have a smart TV you don't need the apple TV. You can run a DLNA server on the NAS and connect to it using a client on the TV. Some of the NAS servers like Synology also can run a Plex server and LG and Samsung TV's both run a plex client.

Griggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
If you have a smart TV you don't need the apple TV. You can run a DLNA server on the NAS and connect to it using a client on the TV. Some of the NAS servers like Synology also can run a Plex server and LG and Samsung TV's both run a plex client.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I do own a Samsung TV that can access the DLNA server on my NAS. However my Samsung TV can not read videos that I bought in the iTunes store (I bought every season of HIMYM :S) because they are copy-protected or whatever. I also tried to convert the bought videos with Handbrake into another format but it won't work due the copy-protection.

This was actually the reason why I wanted to buy the Apple TV.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Most items you buy through the iTunes Store can be played by ATV2/3 directly from the internet. You can stream them from the iTunes store to the ATV without having a local copy on your home network.

I rarely play anything out of my local iTunes library anymore, because I find it easier to browse to my purchased items in the "Movies" or "TV" menus on ATV.

Griggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Most items you buy through the iTunes Store can be played by ATV2/3 directly from the internet. You can stream them from the iTunes store to the ATV without having a local copy on your home network.

I rarely play anything out of my local iTunes library anymore, because I find it easier to browse to my purchased items in the "Movies" or "TV" menus on ATV.

Is this possible for items I've already bought?

Because that would be sufficient for me :)

Edit: Ok, I've checked this in iTunes from my MacBook. I can only see music, apps and books that I bought - but where are my videos? :D

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Is this possible for items I've already bought?

Because that would be sufficient for me :)

Edit: Ok, I've checked this in iTunes from my MacBook. I can only see music, apps and books that I bought - but where are my videos? :D
My purchased videos appear when I click on "Purchased" on the right side of the main iTunes Store window.

Griggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
My purchased videos appear when I click on "Purchased" on the right side of the main iTunes Store window.

I've just found out that iCloud is limited to music, apps and books in Germany (i am from Germany, by the way).

So I will wait - I read something about licensing issues between Apple and the movie companies - maybe streaming your purchased videos will be possible in near future in Germany :D

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this topic!

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I've just found out that iCloud is limited to music, apps and books in Germany (i am from Germany, by the way).

So I will wait - I read something about licensing issues between Apple and the movie companies - maybe streaming your purchased videos will be possible in near future in Germany :D

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this topic!
Viel Glück.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.