Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Anyway to ask Apple if I can write a certain type of app?

Is there any email/contact you can ask Apple if your "allowed" to make a specific type of app?

or is it a case of read the developers rules as such and obey them? I want to make an app that I dont think is allowed at moment switch off BT/WiFi etc?

I think this would be greatly received and work well, and is what Apple iOS user would need?

cheers
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

I'll save you a lot of reading and a waste of an email.

Dear xxxxx

No you cannot write an app to do that.

Cheers

God!
Gav2k is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:26 PM   #3
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
I'll save you a lot of reading and a waste of an email.

Dear xxxxx

No you cannot write an app to do that.

Cheers

God!
Honestly though is that what would be said? if so its pointless, although as I dont use Xcode, do the development tools even allow you to write this in the 1st place anyway?

cheers
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
emptyCup
macrumors 65816

Apple has developer guidelines, start there:
https://developer.apple.com/appstore/index.html
emptyCup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
fishkorp
macrumors 68010

There aren't public APIs to switch on and off BT/WiFi/etc, that's why you only see those apps for jailbroken phones. I had a BT toggle and WiFi toggle app rejected, and that's when they had an open URL scheme for doing it. The reasoning was that the URL scheme wasn't publicly documented and could change at any time. Sure enough, next iOS update they changed it so that the apps wouldn't work. If that's what you're trying to do with your app, don't waste your time. You might get lucky and sneak it by a lazy reviewer, but as soon as it gets some press, it'll get pulled.
fishkorp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkorp View Post
There aren't public APIs to switch on and off BT/WiFi/etc, that's why you only see those apps for jailbroken phones. I had a BT toggle and WiFi toggle app rejected, and that's when they had an open URL scheme for doing it. The reasoning was that the URL scheme wasn't publicly documented and could change at any time. Sure enough, next iOS update they changed it so that the apps wouldn't work. If that's what you're trying to do with your app, don't waste your time. You might get lucky and sneak it by a lazy reviewer, but as soon as it gets some press, it'll get pulled.
Not sure at all how its done, but I was honestly prepared to learn from scratch how to do it and code it as an app to do it, but dont want to waste time if its not allowed anyway.

I think this would sell loads, as a lot of iOS iPhone users want this dont they? I know I do!

no use in emailing either then
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Not sure at all how its done, but I was honestly prepared to learn from scratch how to do it and code it as an app to do it, but dont want to waste time if its not allowed anyway.

I think this would sell loads, as a lot of iOS iPhone users want this dont they? I know I do!

no use in emailing either then
They're telling you that in the past these types of apps got pulled, so no, don't even bother.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is there any email/contact you can ask Apple if your "allowed" to make a specific type of app?

or is it a case of read the developers rules as such and obey them? I want to make an app that I dont think is allowed at moment switch off BT/WiFi etc?

I think this would be greatly received and work well, and is what Apple iOS user would need?

cheers
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:32 PM   #9
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:

cheers
Cannot be done using the public APIs, which means Apple will not allow it in the App Store.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps