Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
AppleRob.
macrumors newbie

Video Playback Blocked?

Hello

Now i won't go into details but i believe my ISP has somehow blocked video playback to my Jailbroken iPod Touch 4G after i have been watching some 'interesting' videos throughout the year.

Whenever i attempt to play a video on my connection i receive a message telling me that the playback was unsuccessful, and sometimes the videos just sticks at the loading stage. This happens with any video you can possibly imagine. I've tried every app possible including YouTube, MXTube and TubePlayer but none of them work at all. It only happens with my connection at home, anywhere else i can watch videos as normal whenever i like.

So i have looked in my iPod WiFi settings and discovered options such as DHCP, BootP, Static and then IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS, Search Domains, Client ID and also Renew Lease and HTTP Proxy.

I'm only sixteen and although i am usually very good with technology i do not really understand the majority of these network options.

To bypass the restrictions that the ISP has set (assuming it is them who are blocking my video playback) i think i will need to change my IP address or something like it, but saying that i have tried using a proxy server and i still can't watch or load any videos so i am quite confused.

This only happens on my iPod which makes it even more odd.

Help would be appreciated as always.

Thanks, Rob.
AppleRob. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Sounds more like a router / Touch issue at home.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Fresh Pie
macrumors 6502a

Perhaps there is a conflict between a couple of tweaks you've recently installed. Have you tried watching videos after booting your iPod in safe mode? If you can get that to work, you'll know the issue is with your jailbreak and not a potentially invasive ISP.
Fresh Pie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:50 PM   #4
AppleRob.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Perhaps there is a conflict between a couple of tweaks you've recently installed. Have you tried watching videos after booting your iPod in safe mode? If you can get that to work, you'll know the issue is with your jailbreak and not a potentially invasive ISP.
Good idea, i'll have a go now and see what happens.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Fresh Pie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRob. View Post
Good idea, i'll have a go now and see what happens.
Cool. Be sure to keep us updated.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:40 AM   #6
AppleRob.
macrumors newbie

You'll never guess what's happened...

It turns out that the jailbreak was causing the issues after all. When i attempted to play a video in safe mode there were no problems whatsoever, so there must be a dodgy tweak in the system somewhere.

These screenshots and lists below show all the packages i have installed, but none look like they would cause a problem with the video playback to me. Is there any way to sort these in order of installation/update?

My Installed Packages

[IMG]imgur.com/rBdVe.png[/IMG]
[IMG]imgur.com/GRhba.png[/IMG]

And also: Zephyr, ZoomisBack! and BatteryDoctorPro.

These are the tweaks which rely on Mobile Substrate. The others important ones i have which don't rely on it are: BytaFont, FreeMemory, Grooveshark, iBlank, iCleaner, IconMaker, Iconoclasm Layout Maker, iFile, iPod 720p Camera, MobileTerminal, MxTube, Remove Lauch Daemons (What's this?), Safe Mode Launcher and VLC Media Player.

That's a lot isn't it. No wonder my RAM is always between 10 and 40MB!

Thanks guys, hope you can help again.

Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Fresh Pie
macrumors 6502a

Alright, try removing ProTube 2 and MxTube. Perhaps one of those is causing a conflict, and the other is fine.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:49 PM   #8
AppleRob.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Alright, try removing ProTube 2 and MxTube. Perhaps one of those is causing a conflict, and the other is fine.
Strangely, everything seems to have magically started working again before i could even remove those two. How odd.

Thanks everyone, what a brilliant forum to get advice this is. :-)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch