Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #1
walkie
macrumors 6502

Retina display's future

I'm planning on buying a rMBP and I would like to read your opinions on the retina display's fate, I see retina display will have a brilliant future and more support by developers only when prices drop, but since I'm a multiplatform developer I would like to see the other operating systems moving in the same direction, do you think Windows/Linux and PC makers will catch up with something similar to retina display in a near future?

Last edited by walkie; Dec 27, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
walkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can get "retina" style displays on windows PC's already.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

Up to the companies like Dell who make the computers. Doesn't Windows already support retina?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4
walkie
macrumors 6502

I think is not the same high definition than retina, because you need software that can scale properly GUI elements and fonts, I have seen how Windows 8 scales and elements look a little fuzzy, It looks like it makes a kind of zooming over the GUI elements unlike MacOSX, it would require developers to rewrite/retouch most software on earth to make modern apps to look right on a ultra HD screen, I can't see this happening quickly on a Windows/Linux platform.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:22 PM   #5
bill-p
macrumors 65816

Proper DPI scaling has been in Windows for a while (since Vista or so), but the main problem was a lack of screens that would push the resolution up that high... at an affordable price range for the mass market. As a result, developers didn't bother, and save for the very specialized softwares, most will just scale texts well while having their images squished or scaled.

It's only recently that such display technology has come down in price enough to make an impression. Still, I anticipate that it won't be a mainstream thing until 5 years later, where every device made has a high resolution screen.

But from a developer's standpoint (I'm a multi-platform developer myself), I think... developers should have worked with Retina displays long ago. Or as soon as possible. Once the technology hits the mass market, those who can come out first with software solutions that take advantage of the technology will profit the most in the long term. Just look at the iPad. Apple was first to market with the technology, and just 2 years later, they've racked in billions.

If profits aren't your main goal, you'd still secure a place in the market that's really hard to displace. It's truly a classic example of "the early bird catches the worm".
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:47 PM   #6
walkie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-p View Post
Still, I anticipate that it won't be a mainstream thing until 5 years later, where every device made has a high resolution screen.
I agree, this is what keeps me from selling my early 2010 iMac as I get a new rMBP, by now I need the two, one doesn't know how long we'll be scaling legacy apps until they catch up with retina.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can get "retina" style displays on windows PC's already.
163ppi while high resolution doesn't really count as HiDPI i believe?

It was never done with scaling at least.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
flipnap
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
i dont think any exist. pclaptops have been anemic in the display department. my biggest point of contention has always been the appalling lack of attention to panels.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
walkie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnap View Post
i dont think any exist. pclaptops have been anemic in the display department. my biggest point of contention has always been the appalling lack of attention to panels.
This is absolutely true, PC makers do not innovate, then they wonder why their laptops are not selling well these days.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro