Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1
daco77
macrumors newbie

Speakers auto power on/off

hi, sorry for my english i am french.

i am looking for speakers who auto-power on/off like my iMac

i know usb speakers is good for what i search, but the list of usb speakers is very short.

another option of usb speakers?

thanks
daco77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
skorpien
macrumors 68020

One option is to get a power strip that has a power conservation master/slave feature, such as this Belkin model:

http://www.belkin.com/conserve/smartav/

It allows you to plug your computer into the green outlet, and any devices that are plugged into the outlets adjacent to the green outlet (with the green outline) are turned on and off when the computer turns on and off.

There are two additional, uncontrolled outlets for devices requiring constant power as well.
skorpien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
RMo
macrumors 6502a

I think the above poster has a good idea. It's what I do, and it also works with anything else you want to turn off with your computer (e.g., monitor).

However, I think the Belkin strip above was designed for TVs and may not be accustomed to the wattage of a computer. The level at which it switches the other devices on and off is not adjustable. It may work, but I personally use the Smart Strip because I can adjust the level (i.e., amount of power draw) at which the automatically-switched devices turn on and off.

For some reason, the product I linked to above is very expensive today. I guess Amazon ran out and it's a third-party seller. It's usually not quite so expensive. If you want it but can wait, I would wait; otherwise, they actually have other models with more features that currently cost less than that, so you might look into one of those (or this same product at another store) instead.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
daco77
macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for reply.

but if imac is not power off just sleeping, this work too?
daco77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5
skorpien
macrumors 68020

According to Belkin's users guide, you are able to use the strip with a desktop computer without issues (see troubleshooting section).

And according to Apple's site, a 27" iMac (assuming that's the model you have) draws a little over 1W of power when in sleep mode. A 21.5" model draws around 1.25W. That is approximately the same amount of power draw a typical, modern TV has in standby mode.

For reference, I have mine connected to my first gen PS3 (which draws 1W in standby according to Wikipedia) and it works flawlessly.

Though having the option of controlling the power draw limit at which peripherals turn on is nice, in this situation I think it's not quite necessary.
skorpien is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals