Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which OS are you running on your PowerPC Mac?

• Classic

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Mac OSX 10.0-10.3

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Mac OSX 10.4

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • Mac OSX 10.5

Votes: 81 71.1%
  • Linux - Debian/Ubuntu Derivative

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Linux - Redhat Deriavative

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Linux - Other

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • FreeBSD

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
29/12 - Short update. So around 80% of users use Leopard on their macs. The next most popular choice is tiger at around 20% of users. Tiger is more popular than all linux users added together.

Most linux users appear to use the OS as a complement to their computing needs as not as a main operating system.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi!

I noticed you are running Windows 7 under VPC 7.0.3 - I too am running it with no problems, except for ONE minor problem.. My network adapter is not being recognized, rather my ethernet is not being recognized. How do I get my airport and or ethernet to be recognized under Windows 7, even Vista has these problems.. but XP runs great, windows 2000 also..

Is there an update to the VPC 7.0.3 networking kext, also called: virtualpcnetworking1040.kext? I can't seem to get it to recognize my ethernet and or airport.

Thanks,

Leopard.
But I also have VPC7, so also Win98, WinXP Pro and Win7 Ultimate. :D

----------

It doesn't.. its only optimized to run efficiently if you have a G5, since VPC 7 added G5 support. Windows XP runs really nicely on my Quad G5, but Vista and 7 and COMING SOON... WINDOWS 8 are all running sluggish. But who knows? Windows 8 is a new beast and it might even run well with that.. WHO KNOWS?

My only concern is getting my ethernet and airport to be recognized under Vista, 7 and or 8. Win2000, WinXP, and of course the WIN9X families are ALL supported.

Leopard.
But I also have VPC7, so also Win98, WinXP Pro and Win7 Ultimate. :D

I don't think VPC7 utilizes multiple cores.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Ubuntu.

Intel CTD 3.0 MHZ
2GB DDR 800 RAM
Nvidia GTX 512 GPU
Wifi Card
2X 500GB SATA WD Hdd's

Connected to a really ancient Acer LCD 19" ( 4:3) flat panel

Since all my Mac's can see the Machine, It has become a kind of dumping ground for stuff...I was going to sell it, but got no takers so it's setup in my bedroom....I really don't use it for anything serious though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi!

I noticed you are running Windows 7 under VPC 7.0.3 - I too am running it with no problems, except for ONE minor problem.. My network adapter is not being recognized, rather my ethernet is not being recognized. How do I get my airport and or ethernet to be recognized under Windows 7, even Vista has these problems.. but XP runs great, windows 2000 also..

Is there an update to the VPC 7.0.3 networking kext, also called: virtualpcnetworking1040.kext? I can't seem to get it to recognize my ethernet and or airport.

Thanks,
Look here. This link is where I got the info about the BIOS. I too do not have the adapter working, but if you scroll down the page someone seems to have done it. I just haven't had the time to go try it myself yet.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
OS X 10.5 is still nice operating system and newer versions haven't really brought any major new features that I would miss, but then again I only have these two laptops from Apple and iPod mini (I think it is mini?) which I very very very rarely use. It might be a different thing if I owned iPad, iPhone or AppleTV.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I run Kubuntu 12.04, Leopard, Tiger, and OS 9 on my Power Mac G4. Between two different HDs. Outside of that in terms of specs its a maxed out stock build Dual 1Ghz with the only added expansion card atm being a USB 2.0 Card.

I'm curious to know how many of the linux users who have voted dual boot, probably most. But regardless, Kbutntu runs beautifually on this PPC mac. almost if not as fast as it runs on a standard modern day desktop, and were talking the bulkiest of bulk DE for Linux here.

Linux runs really well on PPC macs, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Its a great experence and more secure then OS X. However if you need those programs and such, there is always dual booting. Its what I do and my machine does what I want it to do wonderfully.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Most of my PowerPC Macs run Tiger 10.4.11 or Leopard 10.5.8 depending on which they can handle, but I also have a couple running Mac OS 8.6, one on Jaguar, and one on Panther.

I haven't seen the need to run Linux on any of them. Any added usability that would bring is marginal anyway.

nemesiswar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Sweden
Using MorphOS 3.7 as my main OS on my G5 DP 2,0 dual booted with Leopard
Leopard on my G5 Quad
MorphOS 3.7 on my iBook G4

All machines are used atleast once a week

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Using MorphOS 3.7 as my main OS on my G5 DP 2,0 dual booted with Leopard
Leopard on my G5 Quad
MorphOS 3.7 on my iBook G4

All machines are used atleast once a week

I'm curious about MorphOS. What is it useful for (other than running spectacularly)?

I'm currently using Tiger on both of my PowerPC machines, with the TiBook dual-booting 9.2.2. Both of them get weekly use.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
I run Tiger on my Mini G4 and Mac OS 9 on my beige G3. I run System 7.5.5 on my Quadra 605 and Mac OS 8.1 on my Quadra 700.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I run OS 9.2.1/10.4.11 on my iMac G3, System 8 on my Performa 550, System 7 on my Mac Classic, OS 9.2.1/10.3 on my G4 Cube, 10.4.11 on my TiBook, 10.5.8 on my iBook, 10.5.8 on my iMac G4, 10.5.8 on my PowerMac G5.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Kinda old but I'd figure I could share some statistics from Google Analytics regarding the PowerPC Archive. 52% are users on PPC Leopard, 16% using Yosemite, and 15% PPC Tiger. The other 17% is mostly users with Mavericks, ML, Lion, SL, and Leopard on Intel.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Just curious to know the proportion of linux users we have here. I'm also interested if you dual boot or are dependent solely on a single OS for your computing needs.

Seems like you need drivers and random tweaks to get Linux working properly on a PPC Mac. We installed it on my iBook, but the fans were blasting, as everything was using high to full CPU.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
My iBook G4 is dual boot Lubuntu(not sure what version) and OS X.

Lubuntu was installed on the computer when I bought it-the seller asked if I wanted it left or wiped clean, and I said to leave it since it was a ready-made install for me to play around with it.

I've actually only booted to it once or twice, and didn't do a whole lot since the wireless drivers weren't configured and didn't feel like putting the effort into getting them working.

That particular computer came to me with Tiger installed, and I upgraded to Leopard after maxing the RAM.

The PPC computers that I actually use regularly primarily are running Leopard with a few running OS 9. I have several setup to dual boot Tiger and Leopard-mostly for classic mode support on computers that can't natively run OS 9-but rarely boot to Tiger.

Most of my G3 based computers have 10.4 installed, although I tend to keep G3s as dedicated OS 9 machines. The only G3 I have that both gets(semi) regular use and runs OS X is my Pismo Powerbook, which actually does relatively well with Tiger on the max of 1gb of RAM.

I have a closet full of G4 towers that rarely get used but are mostly running Tiger...primarily because they don't "officially" support Leopard, I haven't take then time to work around the installer, and most don't have enough RAM to run it well anyway(and I don't feel like dumping more money into them to put 1gb+ in each). There's also the graphics card issue, since I've pulled the "good" graphics cards out of most of the ones in the closet, and left most of them with Rage 128s-Leopard is not a pleasant experience on that card.

I should also mention that my pair of G4 towers that get used a lot for diagnostic and testing purposes-a Digital Audio and a Sawtooth. Both have Tiger and OS 9 installed, although the DA normally gets booted to Tiger and the Sawtooth to OS 9.

Then there's the MDD G4 that I loaded up with hard drives and have 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 installed on(every version of OS X that it supports) plus OS 9. I only ever boot it to 10.5, but wanted to get the full OS X experience. If I get around to it, I'm probably going to take a B&W G3 or one of my other early G4s and load 10.0 and 10.1 on it(plus 10.4) so that I have working installs of the full range of PPC versions of OS X.

While I'm at it, I'll also mention my 7100/66 running OS 8.5, my 8500 running OS 8(I probably should downgrade it back to 7.5.5), and my Quadra running 7.5.5. Once I finally get a working hard drive in my SE, I'm probably going to install System 6.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Tiger w/Classic & Ubuntu is what my 12" PowerBook G4 runs, can't justify Leopard...

Not using my old iMac G3 but it has OS 9.2 & 10.3 installed on a 40GB HDD... haven't turned it on as I need to use an external monitor as the built-in one flickers too much at 1024x800(analog board is likely dying, happened on my original iMac when Apple replaced it with this iMac). If I had the space, I'd use it with an external monitor since I have an adapter :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.