Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Thanks for the input everyone... I received an iPad as a gift and I'm also considering cases. So far, I like the combination of a smart cover and a shell for the back. Does the smart cover come off so easily that it's worth getting the Zum shell that locks the smart cover into place?

Have you made a decision yet? I still haven't but plan to in the next couple days.

Meanwhile, I've used my MacBook Pro only once since I've gotten my iPad for Xmas, and that was for putting folders/files into my Dropbox folder so I can access them from my iPad. :D.

Though we'll see how useful it is once winter term starts in Ann Arbor.

eatmyjustice

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Washington, USA
Have you made a decision yet? I still haven't but plan to in the next couple days.

Meanwhile, I've used my MacBook Pro only once since I've gotten my iPad for Xmas, and that was for putting folders/files into my Dropbox folder so I can access them from my iPad. :D.

Though we'll see how useful it is once winter term starts in Ann Arbor.

Yes, I picked up a smart cover and the belkin snapshield(because it was in stock at best buy). They add a bit more weight than I like so I may try using just the smart cover. The smart cover hasn't accidentally come off so I don't think I need rear shell that locks down the smart cover.

Also, I read some reviews on amazon that the belkin snap shield has some durability issues, so I'll probably return it and look at another brand. Over all, I like the smart cover/rear shell combination.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
I purchased the Incipio Smart Feather off of Amazon today because a like new used model was available for half price ($10) and I cannot pass up that type of savings. So in theory, I didn't choose it because it was superior to the others, but because of the price available to me.

It's shipping prime, though I'll get it Wednesday due to the new year.

Just for fun, I've been using my iPad with and without the Smart Cover attached. Both practices have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think they're pretty similar so the Smart Cover lock became less important to me.

Lastly, does anyone use a stylus? I'm like SJ in the way that it would just add another layer of complexity and something else I would need to remember, but for those that have tried them, what do you think?

Any other accessories I should look into besides styluses and keyboards?

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
I purchased the Incipio Smart Feather off of Amazon today because a like new used model was available for half price ($10) and I cannot pass up that type of savings. So in theory, I didn't choose it because it was superior to the others, but because of the price available to me.

It's shipping prime, though I'll get it Wednesday due to the new year.

Just for fun, I've been using my iPad with and without the Smart Cover attached. Both practices have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think they're pretty similar so the Smart Cover lock became less important to me.

Lastly, does anyone use a stylus? I'm like SJ in the way that it would just add another layer of complexity and something else I would need to remember, but for those that have tried them, what do you think?

Any other accessories I should look into besides styluses and keyboards?

Got the Incipio Smart Feather Back Case yesterday and I love it! Don't think I could've spent $20 on this piece of plastic, but it does come with a microfiber cloth, screen protector and smoothie card for free. I think this case is well made, has good cut-outs and protects the iPad well.

It has that soft feeling to it, I don't know if that is what TPU is, but I like it.

SYale

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
California
For my iPad 3rd generation, which I had since launch, I had the Incipio smart feather and smart cover as well. It works great, for some reason, I even feel the "locking" mechanism helps protect the black scuffs that can form from the smart covers onto the iPad's aluminum, based on one of my friend's having scuffs and having a back cover without a locking mechanism (coincidence, maybe).

I'm a student, and I almost use it like a laptop, so I have a setup with a Wacom Bamboo stylus, which works great, but buy some tips as well. I also carry in my backpack an Apple bluetooth keyboard with a Incase Origami keyboard case which folds for a stand for my iPad! Highly recommended!

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
I just got my ipad for Christmas (yay me! :)). It also came with a smart cover (thank you, hubby) and I bought a Caudabe Shell on Amazon after seeing a lot of people on here talking about it. The combination works really great. I LOVE the smart cover and I like the Shell because it doesn't weigh very much and is semi transparent so you can still see the apple logo.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
3 week update

Hi guys,

Just wanted to update y'all about the combination of a smart cover and a thin back shell/case like the Incipio smart feather that I've been using.

So far, I'm loving the minimalist approach I've taken, it really doesn't weigh down the iPad that much and protects it from bumps and scratches. It remains super thin too, which allows me to carry it in my backpack easily when I don't want to lug my 15" MBP. I use it a good amount. Like others have said, it's not really a creation device, but rather a consumption device. Though, with using my email and Dropbox, I can do almost any of my school work on it.

Don't think I'll be changing my setup anytime soon. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.