Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:18 AM   #1
OSMac
macrumors 65816

System 7.1 : Cancel "Please insert the disk" prompt?

Every once in a while on Powerbook 165 running 7.1 I get a prompt to insert a floppy that I have don't have. Any key press combo to clear the prompt?

Example: I put a floppy name MISC in the drive , copy some files , then format and eject the disk. It leaves a greyed out icon of the old disc on the desktop. If I click that icon it prompts to insert the disk. Other than inserting the disc, can that prompt be cleared with some key presses , as it seems to lock up the machine?
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
tdiaz
macrumors 6502

Eject the disk by dragging it to the trash. Otherwise .. as you find out, Finder may want that disk to "update" something because it is still considered an active volume.

Dragging disks/volumes to the trash does not do anything bad to them. Never has. It's how it's removed totally from the desktop, not just unmounted. OS X OTOH seems to have done away with the "unmounted", but still present disk/volume. It's mounted and available. Or it's not. That's it.
tdiaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
Eject the disk by dragging it to the trash. Otherwise .. as you find out, Finder may want that disk to "update" something because it is still considered an active volume.

Dragging disks/volumes to the trash does not do anything bad to them. Never has. It's how it's removed totally from the desktop, not just unmounted. OS X OTOH seems to have done away with the "unmounted", but still present disk/volume. It's mounted and available. Or it's not. That's it.
Thanks I did not know about drag to trash to eject.

Just wondering...
If you use the menu to eject,
then click on the greyed out disk icon,
the system prompts for the disk, with a hourglass cursor.

Seems to be no way to use the system or cancel the prompt other than inserting the disc in 7.1?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
tdiaz
macrumors 6502

OpenApple-Period does not cancel it?

I seem to remember a way of canceling that.. though I pretty much always dragged to the trash to eject stuff, using only desktop eject when I wanted to move an item between two floppies and for whatever reason didn't want to use the hard drive as a relay.. like back in the day when the hard drive was 20 megs and it took only 25 disks to back up the whole thing.
tdiaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
OpenApple-Period does not cancel it?

I seem to remember a way of canceling that.. though I pretty much always dragged to the trash to eject stuff, using only desktop eject when I wanted to move an item between two floppies and for whatever reason didn't want to use the hard drive as a relay.. like back in the day when the hard drive was 20 megs and it took only 25 disks to back up the whole thing.
Thanks a couple Open Apple .'s did the trick.

Never used the older Apple products just trying to find my way around a PB165 with System 7 on it. Probably a number of key press commands I need to learn.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors