Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
Can I import video from a Canon VIXIA HF R30 camcorder to my Mac with just what is in the box? I have the last model of iMac released before they started putting SD card slots on them, and I'd really prefer not to buy an SD card reader, but when I plug it in with the cable provided, nothing happens. I went into iMovie and tried to import from camera, but nothing happened. Besides, I'd prefer video files. Can I do it? Or do I have to buy a card reader? If I do, I can buy one later today.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Tried this yet?

• 1. The camera must be plugged into the AC while uploading the video.
  • 2. Plug in the usb cable and the camera will see the connection and ask what you want to do. Choose connect to printer/computer.
  • 3. Choose the videos you want to upload
  • 4. Start iMovie and it will give a list of video to import. Choose them and press import.
  • 5. The clips will be in your events window.

Otherwise, an SD card reader can be had for less than 10 USD nowadays.

This might also be of interest:

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
No offense, but of course I plugged it in and turned the camera on. No response from either the camera or the computer. I also know the stuff about codecs and containers very well, and if it matters, I recorded only one video in AVCHD and the rest were MP4 24fps 9mbps. (I consider AVCHD mode to be extremely comsumer-friendly, which directly translates to uncustomizable. It is also not a video container I have ever seen or worked with, but mp4 is pretty standard.) I had videos on both the internal memory and the SD card. Does it simply not work on Mac, or what?

Nov 28, 2010
located
No offense, but of course I plugged it in and turned the camera on. No response from either the camera or the computer. I also know the stuff about codecs and containers very well, and if it matters, I recorded only one video in AVCHD and the rest were MP4 24fps 9mbps. I had videos on both the internal memory and the SD card. Does it simply not work on Mac, or what?

There have been many problems reported with Vixia models and Mac OS X.

Anyway, the reply I posted seems to have worked for some, especially point #1.

As I seldom use cameras to import their footage since the days of Mini DV and just use an appropriate reading device (SD card or CF card reader, XDCam reader, SxS reader and so on) I can probably not help you more.

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
Purchased an SD card reader. MP4 videos import fine, but a new problem has arisen. I wanted to try out AVCHD videos, but they don't appear on my SD card. I just don't see them. All of my MP4's are there, but none of the AVCHD's are there. Explanation anybody?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Purchased an SD card reader. MP4 videos import fine, but a new problem has arisen. I wanted to try out AVCHD videos, but they don't appear on my SD card. I just don't see them. All of my MP4's are there, but none of the AVCHD's are there. Explanation anybody?

Can you make a screenshot of a Finder window with the card visible and all folders expanded and attach it to your next post?

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I'm not going to be a whole lot of help,here, but I will try. I borrowed a Vixia HF R300 earlier this year and also ran into issues with importing the videos. Are you importing directly from the SD card to iMovie or have you offloaded them to the hard drive? Apparently for iMovie to import AVCHD, they files must in their original container on an SD card (or maybe a virtual disk, I don't know). In my instance, i had copied all of my raw video files to my hard drive immediately and then was trying to import from there. If I remember correctly, once I stuck the SD card in, I "imported from camera" in iMovie and it worked fine.

Like I said, probably not much help, but I can at least try :D

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
No, I can understand that. I offloaded the video files to my hard drive as well, and simply didnt see any AVCHD's. it makes sense that they would have to be imported directly to iMovie. I'll try that. You with the extremely long name, I'll get you your screenshot soon, I don't have acess to my Mac at the moment.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012

That's because they're in a different folder. AVCHD follows the Blu-Ray folder structure. On your SD card you should see a folder call "Private" and inside that "BDMV". Within that you'll find a bunch of folders. You want the one called "STREAMS". You'll find your AVCHD videos there. They usually end in an .MTS extension (MPEG Transport Stream).

Good luck!

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
This did it. The AVCHD's were in the streams folder. Unimpressed with the quality, I have decided to use MP4 from now on.

I'm glad to hear that. Sometimes it's the simplest explanation. All this other crap about Vixia having problems with OS X or trying to out-think the problem is utter BS.

Mcfishoneleg

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Mcfishoneleg

Hello
Newbie here, not sure where I am or going, don't know answer to your prob, how ever I have a problem importing to imovies on MacBook pro from my HFS 21 Canon something I have been able to do for two years, and now suddernly it's telling me can not creat import and I don't have permission from user/ and in the event box the canon is shadowed by a little yellow triangle. When I had old events in the events box I could import to old but I cleaned out and it won't except new event imort from video camera any takers please ........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.