Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hi all, I normally use a second monitor on my PC to watch TV (usb tv tuner) and netflix/hulu.

I picked up an aTV3 for $40 a few weeks ago and would like to put it to use so I'm thinking about buying a dedicated TV. I want something in the 37-42" range and saw a Toshiba 39" that was recommended in another thread recently. I stopped in today to check it out and saw an Insignia 39" TV right next to it and now I'm debating between the two.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...HDTV/6266483.p?id=1218725905648&skuId=6266483

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...uId=5061732&st=3_Day_Sale_TVs_69764&cp=1&lp=8

Toshiba has a higher rating, though fewer reviewers.

Anyone have an opinion between these? I don't really want to spend much and I understand that neither will have a great picture. I have a 4:3 19" HP monitor currently, so it's safe to say that anything is a step up from that. The Toshiba is LED (I think it's just edge-lit) with a much thinner bezel which I like. The picture also looked better than the Insignia but the Insignia is 25% less in price. One of the sales reps at Best Buy told me that Insignia uses LG displays. Any truth to that? The 2yr geeksquad warranty is $30 vs $50 between the two.

Thoughts and opinions?

edited to add; the Insignia goes back up to $349 tomorrow

Last edited:

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Insignia does indeed use LG displays. What the rep didn't tell you was that Insignia uses DEFECTIVE LG displays.

As someone who worked for Best Buy for 3 years, take it from me, you do not want an insignia unless you plan on using it for a month and then throwing it away.

Toshiba is fine, but I would recommend Vizio. Recently Vizio has made great strides on panel quality and reliability. It should also hit roughly the same price point as the Toshiba.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I went back tonight to check them out and was leaning towards the Toshiba until I saw one of the insignia's on the open-box shelf for $179 (with plastic cling wrap still attached). The guy I was talking to earlier was still there and he said it was a Christmas return that came in some time today. I tested it out and didn't see any dead pixels or any other defects.

At half the price of the Toshiba, I couldn't pass it up. The geeksquad 'insurance' was less ($29 for 4 years) due to the lower display price so it was a pretty good deal. I hope that I don't have any issues with it but even if I do, the geeksquad protection should cover me

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Insignia does indeed use LG displays. What the rep didn't tell you was that Insignia uses DEFECTIVE LG displays.

As someone who worked for Best Buy for 3 years, take it from me, you do not want an insignia unless you plan on using it for a month and then throwing it away.

Toshiba is fine, but I would recommend Vizio. Recently Vizio has made great strides on panel quality and reliability. It should also hit roughly the same price point as the Toshiba.

My 47" Insignia has been going strong for 3.5 years now. The only little issue is one of the volume buttons on the tv not working, but I rarely use those anyway, so it isn't a big enough deal for me to go through the hassle of filing a warranty claim (I also got the extended warranty.)

Sure, it isn't the best picture in the world, but it was also a ton cheaper than any of the name brands at the time.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I just bought the Toshiba 39" for my mother in law and I was very impressed with it. I would highly recommend over insignia. But it looks like it is too late.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I just bought the Toshiba 39" for my mother in law and I was very impressed with it. I would highly recommend over insignia. But it looks like it is too late.

The Toshiba did look much nicer and I had pretty much decided to get it until I happened to see the insignia on the open-box shelf. I was only able to view the standard BB 720p feed that runs on their TVs and one local channel (1080i) since there was no antenna. It looked decent enough, certainly not as good as the ~50" Aquos that was next to it but it should be a huge upgrade from my current setup.

I haven't set it up yet but I've got a few weeks to test it out and return it.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
ive always had great luck with Samsung

+1 on Samsung, I really have no love for Samsung products as a whole, but they do make a nice TV.

Samsung is the way to go for TV's, and I would stay away from Insignia also.
Best Buy isn't the place to compare TV picture quality between TV's, they just use crap cables, fittings, and so-on. You can buy one from their, but places like ABT are better places to compare TV's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.