Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
So consumers will be able to run Android apps on Mac OS before consumers will be able to run iOS apps on Mac OS?

----------

And why Google would have to start a shell company?

Here, take this. You will need it when he responds.

tin-foil.jpg

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Apple should be providing emulation for all other systems, including their own older systems:
Apple I
Apple II
Lisa
MacOS Classic
Rosetta
DOS
CPM
Windows
iOS on MacOSX
MacOSX on iOS

There is no reasonable excuse for them to abandon older software. They have the money resources. They have the computing power. By offering complete emulation they would make their hardware and OS the most desirable and would sell more hardware and OSs.

I would love to have something like that, some emulators currently allow this to happen, but officially supported by Apple means having resources dedicated to support it, I hope they prove me wrong.

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
Whatsapp, BusCountdown, Wordfeud, Locus (maybe), Translate (maybe)

There are at least three apps that have no equivalent native application.

What's not to like?

OK, BusCountDown didnae work without location. Darn.

Last edited:

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
We should be able to do this with iOS apps as well. I think it would be cool to run some of my iOS apps in the corner of my ACD.

Well, since an iPad currently has a higher resolution than your ACD, it wouldn't really be in the corner.

M

Mr.damien

They would be no more crappy than the iOS ones...dont start thinking for 1 second that iOS apps are any more "pro" than Android apps :rolleyes:
Yeah they are no more crappy than the iOS ones.

That's why every time there is a SINGLE app with quite good design like Press lately, there is a news about it on every site because it's so unusual on Android...

Or seeing users complaining that facebook, Google Map, GMail -to name a few-are better on iOS than on Android...

Wanna talk about Android Apps make for Tablet too ? Wait, there is none.

----------

iOS emulation on OS X isn't available either.

iOS emulation lol. You seems to only put "iOS dev" in your signature to give you more credit. If you really understood how OSX & iOS are working, you would know that there is no need for any iOS emulation, only the need to enable the Cocoa Touch framework on OSX.

BTW, there is your "iOS emulation" on OSX, it's called: iPhone Simulator.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
It's an interesting idea. Are all the companies (and apps) shown on their Web site supporting this? Or is BlueStack doing this without permission?

For example, they show the Twitter logo yet this sounds like something Twitter would flip out about.

Android is open source so....why would Google care?

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
All of this is available. Except Mac OS X on IOS. (No one would want something that slow.)

Unfortunately none of the third party offerings to do these things are very good and they are a patchwork quilt. I would like to see Apple offer native emulation support for everything. They would benefit. Customers would benefit. Developers would benefit.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Ummm...doesn't Parallels and/or Fusion already support virtualization of Android? Could have sworn I saw a screenshot of this in last month's MacLife.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Sure there is...

My girlfriend has many friends who use "What's App". However, "What's App" has no Desktop version and she has no smartphone. So she installed bluestacks and "What's App".

It's called Trillian... maybe? What'sApp uses Jabber (JID) just like Trillian does, and it's a desktop version. Bonus, no crappy stacks and virtualization to run it in.

----------

iOS emulation on OS X isn't available either.

You mean like iOS simulator in XCode?

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
"For example, there’s currently no way to use Instagram without an iOS or Android device."

I'd say that's a good thing! Sick of square pictures with horrible colors and people who think they just made a good looking photo.

you are so right!

----------

One more point for android. It's the most innovative mobile platform at the moment, has the best phones, excellent development, and now desktop emulation. Cool.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Why?? Sounds like a conversion kit that allows you to install a Volkswagen engine in your Ferrari.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah they are no more crappy than the iOS ones.

That's why every time there is a SINGLE app with quite good design like Press lately, there is a news about it on every site because it's so unusual on Android...

Or seeing users complaining that facebook, Google Map, GMail -to name a few-are better on iOS than on Android...

Wanna talk about Android Apps make for Tablet too ? Wait, there is none.

----------

iOS emulation lol. You seems to only put "iOS dev" in your signature to give you more credit. If you really understood how OSX & iOS are working, you would know that there is no need for any iOS emulation, only the need to enable the Cocoa Touch framework on OSX.

Shows how little you know about iOS development then doesn't it. The name is a huge clue. iPhone SIMULATOR. Not emulator. There is a huge difference between simulating (native code) and emulating (creating a virtual process). You can't run AppStore apps in the simulator as they are compiled for arm. The simulator runs apps in x86.

So no. No. There is not iOS simulation on OS X and there never has been.

If you're going to be a smartass at least get your facts right without making yourself look thick. :rolleyes:

----------

It's called Trillian... maybe? What'sApp uses Jabber (JID) just like Trillian does, and it's a desktop version. Bonus, no crappy stacks and virtualization to run it in.

----------

You mean like iOS simulator in XCode?

See above. iOS simulator is a simulator....not an emulator. Emulators can run non-native code. Simulators can't.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Installed it, uninstalled right away. This definitely is not near beta ready. Neat idea. I myself don't have a use for it. But hopefully a more stable and actually usable version comes out. At this point it isn't worth installing at least on mac.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

The iOS simulator is not an iOS emulation layer. It does not emulate anything for one, it requires the binaries to be built for x86 and they are linked to OS X's Cocoa libraries where possible (NSString, NSDate, etc.. etc..). That is why on device testing is always required as some code can break very easily between the simulator and actual iOS devices.

Not to mention all the lacking features.

----------

Unfortunately none of the third party offerings to do these things are very good and they are a patchwork quilt. I would like to see Apple offer native emulation support for everything. They would benefit. Customers would benefit. Developers would benefit.

Apple wouldn't benefit, consumers wouldn't benefit and Developers especially wouldn't benefit.

Providing endless backwards compatibility only complexifies regression testing (bad for developers) which introduces more bugs (bad for consumers) which results in more support calls (bad for Apple).

Deprecating old features and APIs is a sane way to move forward in computing, something you need to start understanding as you keep calling for emulation of very old and EoL'ed systems every chance you get.

You do not understand what it requires to think Apple should do it and that it would be some kind of benefit.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Waste of space...

This is a technology in search of a market. And a reason to exist.
A good app for a mobile device will be designed to work great on a mobile device but will not take into account any usability issues for a desktop.

There is no obvious plus for a developer here. It might be cool technology, or an interesting technical issue to dig into...but it will have zero impact for 99% of the market. I do not want to run a tablet or phone app on my laptop or tower anymore than I would want a straight port of Photoshop on my iPhone.

Developers waste so much time creating solutions to imaginary problems, or, perhaps a batter way to say it is that they are making a product that no one will want. No, a few people will want. Mainly other Tech. people. But there is no mainstream use or wide adoption for this.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Something new every day...

See above. iOS simulator is a simulator....not an emulator. Emulators can run non-native code. Simulators can't.

I didn't know the difference, thanks for your time.

Yevhen

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I agree. And the Moon landing was faked on a sound stage in Arizona as well.

I think this is a cool development. I'd imagine some apps to be tough to use without touch screen, but imagine how handy this would be on a full Windows 8 tablet.

And developers will still develop for iOS as long as that is where the money is. A novelty like this will have literally zero impact.

The Moon landing was filmed in Nevada, not Arizona.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
If only Apple would do this...
Eventually OSX will run IOS apps considering the direction of OSX, a bit like how they could run PPC apps on Intel Macs, or older Mac apps after the PPC transition, especially if they ever moved to ARM for OSX (very unlikely). Your iOS apps are synced anyway.
Mac/iOS developers can compile to whichever platform they choose; there's a reason why they sometimes target only iOS, be it touch games or mobile apps. Instagram deliberately doesn't want a desktop version, there are OSX apps that can access Instagram but are forbidden from uploading.
If there was something on Android, however, that wasn't available for iOS/OSX, it could be useful as a bandaid solution, but not really practical as a polished one. BlueStacks are kidding themselves if they think it will drive developers away from iOS as the primary platform to develop for, only paid marketshare can do that; not only does the majority have to run Android, they have to spend more on apps and in-app purchases, not just download free ad-supported apps. At the moment, the money is on iOS.
Being able to run Android apps in a 3rd party player on Window and Mac won't make people choose it over a native app that does the same or similar thing; it is too resource intensive and looks bad stuck in an emulator window and doesn't look or act native. You'd only use something like this either for testing apps in development or as a desperation move for something you feel you have to have without using a phone.
Almost all the things there aren't a desktop version for is for a good reason, be it because it's a mobile app using GPS or casual touch game what won't work as well on a desktop screen with a mouse, or it uses phone features in some other way. Some, like Instagram or WhatsApp, the developers don't want it on the Desktop either.

SgtPepper12 said:
My girlfriend has many friends who use "What's App". However, "What's App" has no Desktop version and she has no smartphone. So she installed bluestacks and "What's App".
kd5jos said:
in the case of WhatsApp messenger, it is a telephony app that relies on your phone number as username and access to your phone address book with a modified version of XMPP and encrypted text; even running it in an emulator, you forgo using it on your phone as only one of them will work, and you can't simply use a regular Jabber client to log in even if you had a plugin that understood the custom XMPP and could upload images to their servers via HTTP, or you manage to get the right details out of your phone and authorisation from their servers. On Android at least, it uses a hashed version of the phone's IMEI as a password, and as such is tied to a phone. People have tried and failed so far to get something working on a desktop using available Jabber clients by various reverse engineering tricks, like examining the app and sniffing the packets sent.
Only if WhatsApp wants to make support for a Desktop version will you see it, and they've given a definitely no and even refuse non-telephony devices like iPad and iPod touch. Which is not to say it won't change in future if they find a solution like Apple did with Messenger. Needless to say, BlueStacks is not much of a solution in this case.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Eventually OSX will run IOS apps considering the direction of OSX,

1) OS X does already run iOS apps via the developer simulator, and as someone who has worked extensively in the iOS simulator, let me assure you that...

2) mobile apps running on the desktop suck hard and...

3) mobile apps wildly underutilize the power a desktop PC offers.

What possible advantage could there be for intermingling the two? They're completely different beasts.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
1) OS X does already run iOS apps via the developer simulator, and as someone who has worked extensively in the iOS simulator, let me assure you that...

2) mobile apps running on the desktop suck hard and...

3) mobile apps wildly underutilize the power a desktop PC offers.

What possible advantage could there be for intermingling the two? They're completely different beasts.

Not to mention the goal of apps is getting tasks accomplished. What tasks exactly require "iOS apps" on OS X ? We have much more feature complete and complex applications on OS X already to do pretty much everything that can be accomplished on iOS.

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
in the case of WhatsApp messenger, it is a telephony app that relies on your phone number as username and access to your phone address book with a modified version of XMPP and encrypted text; even running it in an emulator, you forgo using it on your phone as only one of them will work, and you can't simply use a regular Jabber client to log in even if you had a plugin that understood the custom XMPP and could upload images to their servers via HTTP, or you manage to get the right details out of your phone and authorisation from their servers. On Android at least, it uses a hashed version of the phone's IMEI as a password, and as such is tied to a phone. People have tried and failed so far to get something working on a desktop using available Jabber clients by various reverse engineering tricks, like examining the app and sniffing the packets sent.
Only if WhatsApp wants to make support for a Desktop version will you see it, and they've given a definitely no and even refuse non-telephony devices like iPad and iPod touch. Which is not to say it won't change in future if they find a solution like Apple did with Messenger. Needless to say, BlueStacks is not much of a solution in this case.

I think you're overthinking this whole problem. Sgtpepper's girlfriend does not own a smartphone and therefore she is not worried that the 2 devices might clash.

Also, if bluestacks is emulating Android system functions, there shouldn't be any problem in feeding whatsapp some sort of IMEI that uniquely identifies the PC.

Finally, they're only using the official app, and not using a Jabber client, therefore there is no need to reverse engineer the protocol whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.