Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I'm surprised you don't have a better number of recent since that looks like it was in 2007?

I stopped racing when I had a kid. I moved, bought a house, income took a cut, kids are expensive, etc... Priorities changed. I was aiming for 400 whp and 11's with the big turbo kit that I put into the car but never got around to tuning it or anything. It is a daily driver now, back and forth from work. Looking at selling or trading it in this year for something a little better suited for a two kid family (have another one on the way, due in Jan 2013).

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I stopped racing when I had a kid. I moved, bought a house, income took a cut, kids are expensive, etc... Priorities changed. I was aiming for 400 whp and 11's with the big turbo kit that I put into the car but never got around to tuning it or anything. It is a daily driver now, back and forth from work. Looking at selling or trading it in this year for something a little better suited for a two kid family (have another one on the way, due in Jan 2013).

I hear ya - I'm in the same boat, closing on my home in a few days. I stopped driving 'fast' cars when I was 19, we all have to grow up some time I suppose :p

Paul Graham

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Plymouth UK
A few of my 2000 Fiesta ZS,
She's not everyone's cuppaa tea but Ive done all the work myself and
she's a wicked little hatch :)

600062_10151355975299465_1111912972_n.jpg

262723_297239253721252_1259002653_n.jpg

155404_297243407054170_1547539424_n.jpg

382071_297241640387680_1009622271_n.jpg

And the spec list so far...

Body -

Debadged flat black front grill with carbon surround
Detangoed/Smoked & Flyeye'd JDM Headlights
Side Rub strips removed
Fly-Eyed spotlights
Aeroblade wipers
Boot De wipered, De badged & de locked.
Tinted rear lights
Carbon wrapped front splitter ( On bumper )
Gun metal grey Front and rear bump strips
Gun metal grey Washer jets
Gun metal grey Door handles
Gun metal grey Door locks
Gun metal grey Boot lock
Gun metal grey Mirror base plates
Gun metal grey gutter trim
3/4" custom machined bonnet raisers

wheels, tires and brakes -

White ZS Phase1 alloys with Khumo rubber
M-Tec Vented Drilled & Grooved Discs
EBC Green Stuff Pads
Red calipers & carriers

Handling -

OMP Top front Strut brace
OMP Lower front Strut brace
OMP Rear Strut brace
FK Racing springs - lowered 40mm all round
ZS uprated shocks
Powerflex ARB Bushes
Powerflex Front Wishbone Bushes
Powerflex Rear Beam Bushes
Powerflex Lower Engine Mount
Powerflex Exhaust mounts

Engine -

1.6 DOHC Zetec-Sigma silvertop 16Valve
Rocker custom sprayed in xht flat red
Forge Power Boost valve
Demon motorsport braided fuel lines
Anodized hose connectors
Carbon RS battery cover
Cosworth Group-A cone filter
SFS Performance Induction hose
JS Performance Induction hose
ZS intake manifold
ZS throttle body
Sportex 4:2:1 manifold & de-cat
Ramair sports cat
Hoffmann straight through Race tube
Remus back box

Interior -

Sparco Rally spec pedals
Momo monte carlo steering wheel
Momo Boss kit
DSpec JDM style Carbon Fibre Gear knob
DSpec JDM style Carbon Fibre Handbreak lever
Custom made Black suede gators with red stitching
Carbon Wrapping
ZS badge
Interior mirror adorned with dangly shizzle!
Ford Racing plaque

Ice.

Alpine 114bti headunit 4x 50watt
Apple iPhone 4s running eq pro and tunein apps,
allowing for FLAC playback and 320kbps streaming internet radio
Putting out an audiophile level lossless source.
Infinity Reference 9633i 3-way 400watt 6x9's in shelf
Lanzar MTP5X7 5x7 component speakers :-
with crossovers in home made pods behind original grills
Rockford Fosgate Punch RFZ1410 10" sub
Lanzar Vector VCT2110 2 channel 1000watt bridgeable amp
Kenwood KAC 6202 400watt bridgeable amp
5 meters of Connect2 RCA cable with remote wire.
Vibe cables and fuses
Vibe Waterproof fuse holder in bay
Vibe 3-way power distribution block with 3 isolated fuses

Last edited:

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Just purchased this earlier this week. I love it.

V3dOVj

You love it...until you have to repair it when your warranty is up. Man the things are expensive. I've put just under 3k in mine in the last 3 months. Spending more today for alignment. Granted mine has 155k miles on it. Overall really nice cars but just so expensive to maintain. I'm used to my American truck where I can rebuild the entire motor for 3k. Congrats though.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
You love it...until you have to repair it when your warranty is up. Man the things are expensive. I've put just under 3k in mine in the last 3 months. Spending more today for alignment. Granted mine has 155k miles on it. Overall really nice cars but just so expensive to maintain. I'm used to my American truck where I can rebuild the entire motor for 3k. Congrats though.

The trick is to dump it before the warranty is up. I too have been burned badly by out of warranty German cars.

You'd think they'd get their **** together and start trying to build reliable, not unnecessarily overengineered vehicles rather than banking on everyone just saying "Well all the quirks and problems and repairs are worth it for the 10% of the time it runs right."

The Japanese have built bulletproof cars for decades, and the Americans have really turned it around and are putting very high quality vehicles out there (have you looked at the interior on a Focus Titanium? Hot damn). Meanwhile, the Germans are still charging $40k for no option base cars with poor reliability with no apparent driving force on the horizon for them to step it up and compete. Year in, year out, unreliable overpriced cars coming out of Europe for those who drink the Kool-Aid. They see the badge and just want the status, and after thousands of dollars and years of headaches and utterly wasting money on the repairs trying to convince themselves it's worth it and they can truly afford it, they wise up and realize the badge and lining someone's pocket with $1k repair after $1k repair for parts that cost about a hundred bucks isn't worth it. Seen what Nissan builds today? They are playing to win at half the price with more features than most of the Germans. Hell even a Prius or a CR-Z comes with standard HID headlights.

I'm aware I'm saying this as a German car owner, but mine is the cheap German brand that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
The trick is to dump it before the warranty is up. I too have been burned badly by out of warranty German cars.

You'd think they'd get their **** together and start trying to build reliable, not unnecessarily overengineered vehicles rather than banking on everyone just saying "Well all the quirks and problems and repairs are worth it for the 10% of the time it runs right."

The Japanese have built bulletproof cars for decades, and the Americans have really turned it around and are putting very high quality vehicles out there (have you looked at the interior on a Focus Titanium? Hot damn). Meanwhile, the Germans are still charging $40k for no option base cars with poor reliability with no apparent driving force on the horizon for them to step it up and compete. Year in, year out, unreliable overpriced cars coming out of Europe for those who drink the Kool-Aid. They see the badge and just want the status, and after thousands of dollars and years of headaches and utterly wasting money on the repairs trying to convince themselves it's worth it and they can truly afford it, they wise up and realize the badge and lining someone's pocket with $1k repair after $1k repair for parts that cost about a hundred bucks isn't worth it. Seen what Nissan builds today? They are playing to win at half the price with more features than most of the Germans. Hell even a Prius or a CR-Z comes with standard HID headlights.

I'm aware I'm saying this as a German car owner, but mine is the cheap German brand that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

Yea man. It's crazy. My next vehicle will either be another truck or a Nissan with a 3.5L engine in it. I was told anything under the 3.5 is junk by guys who work on nissans for a living. I like trucks but the gas mileage is less than desirable.

phibe1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010

You have a Q5 with 155k miles??!

turaco

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Just looking at this thread sometimes i wonder if some of these cars are real or just some sweaty fat guy posting from his basement who drives a station wagon posting his dream car.

and what car exactly sparked this train of thought......?

A couple of weeks ago this guy in a car forum did not believe one the posters claims that he owned a ferrari 458 italia and a McLaren MP4-12C. Well, guess what, the guy is actually a google exec and he certainly did own those vehicles and more. I haven't seen anything close to any exotics in this forums, so I would say the cars in the post are real.....

Last edited:

gfish31

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
2012 VW GTI. Just bought it yesterday. First brand new car, and also first manual transmission car. Got good clutch practice today, as it is snowing.....

Attachments

• IMAG0652.jpg
    IMAG0652.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 190
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.