Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nedlah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Hi all

...I know there's additional third party temp and fan control programs out there but I was just wondering once I get new machine(Mini) can I monitor temps with osx before I decide if I need any of that? Apologies for what might be a no-brainer - but I'm still on panther and know absolutely nothing about what monitoring utilities are in osx now.

Thanks

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hi all

...I know there's additional third party temp and fan control programs out there but I was just wondering once I get new machine(Mini) can I monitor temps with osx before I decide if I need any of that? Apologies for what might be a no-brainer - but I'm still on panther and know absolutely nothing about what monitoring utilities are in osx now.

Thanks

istats they have a free program and a pay program

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html = free

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.35.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.35.33 PM.png
    725.4 KB · Views: 550
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.35.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.35.41 PM.png
    998.9 KB · Views: 542

nedlah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
..thanks I'll check it out..everything about the i7 mini mac I like the look of but really want to get a handle on the temps right from the start

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I was just wondering once I get new machine(Mini) can I monitor temps with osx before I decide if I need any of that?
You don't need any of that. You don't need to spend your time monitoring RAM usage, swap, CPU temp, Fan speed, SMART status, network connections, processes, or any of the other things that your OPERATING SYSTEM does for you.
If you have an observable problem, then yes, you might possibly want to start investigating such things.

But I would recommend that you just use your Mac for whatever it is you actually want to do with it, rather than micro-managing the OS.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
You don't need any of that. You don't need to spend your time monitoring RAM usage, swap, CPU temp, Fan speed, SMART status, network connections, processes, or any of the other things that your OPERATING SYSTEM does for you.
If you have an observable problem, then yes, you might possibly want to start investigating such things.

But I would recommend that you just use your Mac for whatever it is you actually want to do with it, rather than micro-managing the OS.

How do you know what he plans to do with his machine? If he has it in a warm room in a tight space running a lot of cpu intensive tasks you would be incorrect.

If it is in a cool room with lots of air space around the mini and he does not push the cpu you would be correct.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
How do you know what he plans to do with his machine? If he has it in a warm room in a tight space running a lot of cpu intensive tasks you would be incorrect.
I don't know. But, on the information available (the OP is uncertain about whether he needs it or not), and for the majority of users, I'm guessing that if it's within:
Apple's Tech Specs said:
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
... then you'll be alright.

My point stands that unless you have an existing concern, coupled with some observable issue, then you generally don't need to double check that your Operating System is Operating.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
..thanks I'll check it out..everything about the i7 mini mac I like the look of but really want to get a handle on the temps right from the start
In most cases, you don't need to worry about temps, as your Mac will manage temps and fan speeds automatically, without requiring user intervention. However, it is helpful to know certain data about your Mac. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your drive usage, network, temps, fan speeds and much more.
This is why it's helpful to have an app like iStat Pro already installed, so if you suspect a problem, you can have accurate information to use, rather than trying to locate and download such an app at a time when you may be experiencing a problem.

nedlah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I think the istatpro will be the thing I need. I plan to set the mini up in such a way as cooling is optimised - thanks to a lot of practical suggestions made on this and other forums, and maybe a few clever things of my own. I just need the monitoring to be assured that I'm on the right track. Thanks to you all for your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.