Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:35 PM   #901
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
Haha that would be awesome. I have contemplated asking for a refund, but that wouldn't be honest.

It looks to be a brand new product. All accessories came with it. Although the factory screen protector looked different from the first one I got. It did not cover the edges of the screen and it looked like it had been messed with, meaning there were a few air bubbles. Also, there looks to be some dust or small packaging particles on the screen.

Nothing major, but it made me think that it was maybe used before sending it to me. Although it could have been that they just tested the screen to make sure it works as my last one stopped working. But my other theory is that this isn't a new device, just my same one with a new screen. I wish I had written down the serial number of my last one :/
You know how on the Play Store on a browser it lists the devices you can install apps on? Go see if now you can see 2 Nexus 4's or not. I'm not sure if you will but I know for a fact that the devices stay on your account even after you stop using them. I'm not sure how/if you can remove them.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:21 PM   #902
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
You know how on the Play Store on a browser it lists the devices you can install apps on? Go see if now you can see 2 Nexus 4's or not. I'm not sure if you will but I know for a fact that the devices stay on your account even after you stop using them. I'm not sure how/if you can remove them.
You just uncheck the device on the Google Play site (in settings).

I've had a few devices.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-21-22-19-42.png
Views:	114
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	385066  
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:27 PM   #903
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
You just uncheck the device on the Google Play site (in settings).

I've had a few devices.....
I had no idea, thanks for the tip!

And wow :what:
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:30 PM   #904
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I app share with the wife. She has my Google account logged in on her phones too (with sync disabled for my stuff mine) so she can use any of of my paid apps if she wants.

That's why it's so high!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:50 PM   #905
3bs
macrumors 603

If we have more than one email in the stock app, is there a way to get the "combined view" folder always open by default? Right now I have to select it every time.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:09 PM   #906
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
If we have more than one email in the stock app, is there a way to get the "combined view" folder always open by default? Right now I have to select it every time.
Don't think so. I had the same question awhile back and believe multiple sources said the same thing--no.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:23 PM   #907
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
Don't think so. I had the same question awhile back and believe multiple sources said the same thing--no.
Oh well. Thanks anyway
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:46 AM   #908
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That's pretty bad then. I would have thought it would be more resistant too. I used mine for a few weeks with no protection but now I have a clear skin on the back but I was thinking of removing it because it's not a perfect fit and I don't like the way it feels on the edges.
I think it is best to have some kind of protection on the back. Even the bumper or similar is enough to raise the back so it is not sitting flat on a table, counter, whatever. I think that is where scratches are happening.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:03 PM   #909
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I think it is best to have some kind of protection on the back. Even the bumper or similar is enough to raise the back so it is not sitting flat on a table, counter, whatever. I think that is where scratches are happening.

Michael
I still have the skin on the back. Waiting for my bumper to arrive and I think when I put that on I won't feel the skin on the edges so I won't take it off.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #910
3bs
macrumors 603

Is anyone using a skin on the back of their Nexus 4? I'm looking for something cheap so I can buy a bunch of and I'd prefer it use a wet application method because those are way easier to put on without getting loads of air bubbles.

I currently have an xo skin on the back and it's pretty good except that there's like a 1-2mm gap around the edges which isn't covered. That's not a huge issue but it's too expensive to buy a lot of and they don't sell it just for the back.

Edit: I actually just checked and they're now selling the back alone for $13.46

Last edited by 3bs; Dec 23, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:36 PM   #911
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Is anyone using a skin on the back of their Nexus 4? I'm looking for something cheap so I can buy a bunch of and I'd prefer it use a wet application method because those are way easier to put on without getting loads of air bubbles.

I currently have an xo skin on the back and it's pretty good except that there's like a 1-2mm gap around the edges which isn't covered. That's not a huge issue but it's too expensive to buy a lot of and they don't sell it just for the back.

Edit: I actually just checked and they're now selling the back alone for $13.46
Best skins ever. Inexpensive and quick delivery. Easy to install and the bubbles truly go away after a few days. That's what I'm using. Can post picture later.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:40 PM   #912
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Best skins ever. Inexpensive and quick delivery. Easy to install and the bubbles truly go away after a few days. That's what I'm using. Can post picture later.
I'm still a bit worried the solution may have gone into the speaker grill but I haven't noticed anything and it's been a few weeks
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:23 PM   #913
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040

Since i have decided to wait t get a Nexus 4, these discussions have been informative for me. Then i saw this Video comparing the GS3 and the N4 and looking at that, i think the screen on the GS3 is much better. Lot of darks on the N4 like on the keyboard. Just looks dark and dull.
The GS3 seems to be brighter in many ways and the only downside i see is the blueish tint to the whites but other than that, the GS3 screen looks great in comparison.

I think i may just skip this phone altogether and keep my GS3 and wait for the GS4....or the next Nexus phone which may be the XPhone?
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:39 PM   #914
roxxette
Banned

The gs3 screen cant be more bright than the nexus 4, isnt the gs3 screen amoled ? to me in person the nexus 4 its more bright and colors look more vibrant.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:20 PM   #915
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
The gs3 screen cant be more bright than the nexus 4, isnt the gs3 screen amoled ? to me in person the nexus 4 its more bright and colors look more vibrant.
Only reporting what i saw in the video. GS3 screen seemed more vibrant imo. There is a link in my last post. Maybe you see it different.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:42 PM   #916
3bs
macrumors 603

What do people use to program NFC tags?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:48 PM   #917
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What do people use to program NFC tags?
The App NFC Tag Launcher and i bought some Tags online. I got 15 of them for about $12 or $13.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:08 PM   #918
onthecouchagain
Banned

Is it me or is the camera abysmal? I'm not just talking about the quality, but just the overall software. It sometimes takes forever for the snapshot to happen, and other times when the flash is on, it completely messes up the picture.

I sometimes get pics with flash on that come out almost entirely white due to the flaring of the flash, then other times it comes out fine.

HDR is also horribly disappointing. More often than not, it comes out blurry.

I can't tell if it's the optics or the software. My guess is it's the software.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:13 PM   #919
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
The App NFC Tag Launcher and i bought some Tags online. I got 15 of them for about $12 or $13.
This is so cool!

I'm gonna end up putting one everywhere (maybe even on my bike lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356405222574.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	385673  
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:19 PM   #920
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Is it me or is the camera abysmal? I'm not just talking about the quality, but just the overall software. It sometimes takes forever for the snapshot to happen, and other times when the flash is on, it completely messes up the picture.

I sometimes get pics with flash on that come out almost entirely white due to the flaring of the flash, then other times it comes out fine.

HDR is also horribly disappointing. More often than not, it comes out blurry.

I can't tell if it's the optics or the software. My guess is it's the software.
I haven't used the camera much but when I have it's been disappointing. I don't really take that many pictures and when I do, I don't care about the quality that much so it doesn't bother me a lot but I noticed it more when I was using my HTC 8X which has a way better camera.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:21 PM   #921
paolo-
macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I finally got my nexus 4 on the 21st. I'm coming off of an iPhone 3GS. Note that I also don't have cellular data, I'm a student, I can't really afford it and I have wifi basically everywhere I go.

So far I'm very impressed, the build quality is good very comparable to an Apple product, maybe the only thing is that the volume and wake buttons feel a bit loose for a new product, but not by a lot, the phone feels solid. I'm kind of afraid I'll shatter the back of the phone and I'm considering getting a case for it. I was hoping the back would be replaceable like on the iPhone 4 and get a plastic or aluminium back but it seems like the NFC and speakers are part of it. Kind of a shame.

My main reason for dropping my iPhone was the speed, camera and my headphone jack was starting to give me trouble. Boy am I impressed by the Nexus, damn it's fast, web page open like I'm using a desktop (well close enough). No problem switching between apps. The price of getting a new iPhone was putting me off and the restrictions Apple puts are starting to get to me as well.

So far, I'm loving android. For me at least it's much better than iOS. I can make it the way I want (not that different from how I got the phone) and it's quite intuitive. The play store might not have as much apps as the app store but so far I've managed to get very good apps to cover my bases. I was afraid they'd look dodgy and not be intuitive but so far it's all been good.

The camera app is something I'm really digging, the settings are easy to change and they made a good choice of what's available. What's really blowing me away is the editing software that's built into the camera apps. I'm an amateur photographer so I know my way around those tools and it's great to have them built in and not have to bounce between a bunch of apps. You can take a decent shot then with about a minute of editing you can really bring it to the next level (especially with curves). The camera itself obviously blows my 3gs' out of the water and from what I understand might be a bit worse than most other flagship phones. However it's doing great with good lighting though I must agree that it gets very noisy in low light.

I thought I'd share as I know many on this forum are considering going from an iPhone to an android device. The nexus 4 might be a good choice for lots. The limited capacity might but off quite a few and I can understand. I prefer it to my friend's S3, I personally hate the look of OLED displays and I think TouchWiz is kind of ugly. So far, there's nothing I'm missing from Apple...
paolo- is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:15 AM   #922
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
I just got a charge on my credit card. A charge, not a pre auth. Let's hope it ships soon!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:23 AM   #923
Niko91
macrumors member

Today my Nexus 4 (well, I actually bought it for my girlfriend.. lol) will be delivered.
I'm very curious to play with it!

UPDATE: Arrived. And.. uh, well.. how to say that.. I think it's also a bye bye iPhone 4S. I think I'll order one also for me!

Last edited by Niko91; Dec 28, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Niko91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 AM   #924
daneoni
macrumors G4

Promised a 1-2 week ship date i.e. i was supposed to get it before Christmas. I'm now concluding the 3rd week and entering into the 4th with no phone or updates. Yet i can't cancel my order either. NEVER again will i buy anything from Google. Atrocious.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:57 AM   #925
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
The screens are about as bright as one another. The colors however are more vibrant, and vivid on the S3. The user experience however isn't particularly better on the N4 over the S3, but the lack of LTE is what made the difference for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4