Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
Looks like the MBA's will feature ARM processors, unless Intel has something other than Haswell lined up for Apple.

I can see Apple raising prices by $100-200 and making the lineup all retina. Especially if they plan to bring manufacturing to the US.

Their prices have been pretty steady for the past 5 years from what I remember. I'm sure this and SSD will given them a reason to bump the prices.

If they raise prices by 100-200 dollars, that means many people can't afford Apple computers anymore. At that price, they are just too expensive. Honestly, the price raise on the iMAc is already ridiculous.

Apple is overpricing their Mac line to price it out of the consumer prices if they do this.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
If they raise prices by 100-200 dollars, that means many people can't afford Apple computers anymore. At that price, they are just too expensive. Honestly, the price raise on the iMAc is already ridiculous.

Apple is overpricing their Mac line to price it out of the consumer prices if they do this.

people will continue to buy stuff they dont need and cant afford. news at eleven.

wshyang

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012

Unfortunately Apple needs to do this to reverse the APPL downtrend.

Guess we the Faithful Sheeple got to take one for the team once again.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I don't need a retina display, so why should I be required to pay all that extra money for one just to get a better computer? If I wanted to spend 1800$ on a MacBook Pro it would be on the entry 15-inch, not the beginner retina model.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The major holdup for retina in the Macbook Air is power consumption (and cost). Even with Haswell, I don't think Apple will be able to maintain the battery life in the notebook so that won't happen.

The Air will be the first Arm based Mac, it is just a matter of time...if not this year, then soon. As soon as Apple can offer similar performance in the Air, this will allow better battery life and a retina screen.

*This is similar to the Intel transition...as Jobs stated, they had intel on OSX for years but never released it, just in case. If you don't think Apple already has a version of OSX that runs on ARM, you're crazy.

I also would think the Air might be the first to see a Black Anodized body like the iPhone/iPad Mini. That would be cool.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ummmm...

This.

The only reason to keep the ODD at this stage is to keep an expansion option. Not a big deal to 98% of mbp buyers.

Can you show us where you got the 98% of the MBP buyers from?
Do you have data to back that up? Or was that just your opinion?

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Dear MacRumor,

Please take off the days between Christmas and Newyear. We don't mind. Apple updating their Notebook line when Intel finally ships their new Haswell processors is no news and certainly not a rumor!

Best,
MacRumors Reader

PS: To all the whiners about needing a discrete graphic to drive a retina display: do you actually own a 13" rMPB? The experience is certainly fine and the occasional slowdowns are probably due to unoptimized software. The HD 4000 for Ivy Bridge is fast enough to drive the display.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Let's see $2200 for a computer. Sell it in two years for $1000

Cost of ownership $50 a month or about $2 per work day. Ouch!

Do you earn anything from the use of your computer?

1k for a used computer? And no, not really my employer buys my hardware for me.

wshyang

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
I don't need a retina display, so why should I be required to pay all that extra money for one just to get a better computer? If I wanted to spend 1800$ on a MacBook Pro it would be on the entry 15-inch, not the beginner retina model.

I am hoping the current price points will be retained too, but then again, if you don't need a better computer I am sure scores of PC manufacturers will be glad to sell you a computer for less than half of what the rMBP goes for :apple:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
We all know this day is coming. WWDC will mark the year of the optical drive-less computer. Guessing this is when Apple will debut the new pro Mac offering. Also wouldn't be shocked if we saw an Office 2014 preview and it was announced it would be available via download only.

It's odd you would say this living in the land of BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Merc.

I've driven Bimmers all my adult life, save the first 6 years out of college. As a matter of routine I trade in every 4 years, and I can tell you first hand BMW's annual price hikes (combination of actual $ increase over previous model + standard features stripped out and made options) are not insignificant. Even still the 3 series sales volume, at least in the U.S., continues to grow year over year. And in Munich, geez, the streets are like a freaking car show there are so many gorgeous Bimmers, Porches, and Audis parked everywhere.

Point being, people adjust to price hikes if they really want something. Mac's have been appreciably more expensive than Win PCs for forever, and now even more so. Yes, Macs are the only PCs with any growth right now.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I am always astonished at the people who think dumping Intel and using an Apple "CPU" would be a good thing.

It would be a monumental stupid thing to do...

-P

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Bring the 400 to 600 g or so MacBook Air as small as possible (6 to 9 inches or so).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn

What's your actual thought on the probability of this? I'd rate it remote. Haswell delivers some solid power management improvements and may be reason enough for Apple to stick with Intel for a while. I see the cMBP being dropped, but am not yet sure about a Retina MBA. Apple does need a "starter" notebook line and the MBA fills that now. Maybe they will offer a Retina version or an 11" rMBP but if the entire line gets a Retina display it puts the 13 MBP back in the same awkward position it was in before October where there isn't much to differentiate it, particularly if the 13" MBA gets a 2880x1800 screen like the 15" rMBP.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Would this also mean a new OS, perhaps even iOS for desktops, removal of bootcamp (as its no longer intel chips) turning the macbook line into big iOS devices with keyboards attached ?

my fear is this seems to be where apple wants to go with its product lines..

i hope its going to be an Intel CPU/GPU and not a proprietary Axxx chipset, i like my Apple products, but all of them have been split 50/50 and Windows installed on them so i can actually use them for work and some gaming.

I use apples OS pretty much solely to handle my large iTunes library, emails and web browsing, and video editing. Gaming and work gets done via windoze (although my company has just struck a deal that means i can get office for mac for £8 which will help a lot.

Tim Cook has already said iOS and OS X won't converge.

wshyang

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Tim Cook has already said iOS and OS X won't converge.

And going by the track record of how trustworthy statements like these from a Apple CEO can be taken to be as gospel truth…  I'd wager that iOS and OS X *will* converge.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...

Don't worry about that...Apple will strip away features and make you pay extra anyways (example, "new" iMac's) ;)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i may be in the minority here but i love glossy screens. they just seem "fresher" to me unlike those mate screens

i also welcome no major design changes as i just ordered my new retina mbp (broke my mid 09 mbp over christmas ...)

i barely use my superdrive nowadays and i just took the one from my broken mbp and use it as an external whenever i "may" actually need it now

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
not a smart move unless apple can keep the price low for the entry laptops. otherwise apple is losing a big chunk of the "student laptop shopper" pie.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
And going by the track record of how trustworthy statements like these from a Apple CEO can be taken to be as gospel truth…  I'd wager that iOS and OS X *will* converge.

iOS and OS X will never converge.

Many people who are new to Apple went and bought the Mac's thinking its going to be as easy as using an iPod,iPhone or and iPad not realizing that there is a beast lurking underneath.

Apple is trying to make those users feel good about their purchase by dumbing it down using "Launch Control".

But you can only act for so long.

falcon362

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
New York City
Well, I'm glad my wife's five year old Dell laptop died when it did.

The new MacBook Pro made a great Christmas gift for her- she was completely surprised. I know she wants a computer with a DVD drive- she likes to play movies, etc. that she has on it, especially when we travel.

I said to her, that the next version of the MBP would probably have no optical drive...and it seems I was right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.