Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:49 AM   #1
sman789
macrumors member

Has anyone used an iPhone 5 nano-sim in an Android?

And most importantly, does it utilize LTE if the phone supports it? I have an iPhone unlimited data plan on at&t back from the first generation. Now I have my iPhone 4 micro-sim in my Gnexus even though it calls for a standard sim size. I would think android phones that have a tray rather than a slot, say the Nexus 4(tray) and Note II (slot) would be a factor. A tray would have a smaller nano-sim bouncing around but the slot keeps pressure on the card.
It's nice to the flexibility having one card that works in all new phones.
sman789 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Not sure about the US but I am using a I5 nanosim in an adapter in a S3 just fine.

As for connectivity - we don't have LTE but with my current iPhone plan I am only getting 3G funnily enough but HSPA+ on my S3 ...
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman789 View Post
And most importantly, does it utilize LTE if the phone supports it? I have an iPhone unlimited data plan on at&t back from the first generation. Now I have my iPhone 4 micro-sim in my Gnexus even though it calls for a standard sim size. I would think android phones that have a tray rather than a slot, say the Nexus 4(tray) and Note II (slot) would be a factor. A tray would have a smaller nano-sim bouncing around but the slot keeps pressure on the card.
It's nice to the flexibility having one card that works in all new phones.
I am using my iPhone 5's nanosim in my Nexus 4 with an Noosy adapter with no issues--just swap the nanosim as needed. And even though the Nexus 4 doesn't support AT&T LTE, it wasn't necessary to contact them to change my data plan as many are reporting, though I did have to manual change the APN to achieve optimal data speeds.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I'm using my ex iPhone 5 nano sim with an adaptor in my S3, works perfectly. We don't have LTE here but it should work fine.
daveathall is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:39 AM   #5
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Everything will work fine just be careful with adapters and ripping out the sim pins
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:16 AM   #6
bembol
macrumors 6502a

I have Noosy adapter, no issues when I used on my Note 2.

I have to say it, there's no need for it especially when Super Phones are getting bigger.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:07 PM   #7
ichii
macrumors 6502

Just got a nokia lumia 920, had a iPhone 4s, i don't have any LTE service. My brother with a iPhone 5 gets LTE. Also does anyone know if my unlimited data plan gets carried over to a non iPhone phone?[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Last edited by ichii; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Dup
ichii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:02 AM   #8
sman789
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichii View Post
Just got a nokia lumia 920, had a iPhone 4s, i don't have any LTE service. My brother with a iPhone 5 gets LTE. Also does anyone know if my unlimited data plan gets carried over to a non iPhone phone?[COLOR="#808080"]

----------
My iphone unlimited plan is fine on my Galaxy Nexus. But I am using the iPhone 4 sim.

I'm planning to move up to the LTE iPhone 5 nano Sim, I believe I can't actually change my data plan to a non-iPhone one without price changes, then pop it into an LTE android phone.
From Apples to Googles
sman789 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:33 PM   #9
ichii
macrumors 6502

My unlimited plan transferred over from my iPhone 4s, I just had to go to AT&T and explained to them I got a new phone, but I'm not getting LTE signal. They had to update their system to allow my phone to get LTE. Returned the Nokia and switch to Optimus G. I really miss my iPhone, but I was really getting bored of the OS.
ichii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices