Do I need an iPod if I already have an iPhone? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1
raptorstv
Banned

Do I need an iPod if I already have an iPhone?

What do you guys use iPod for?
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Depends why kind of iPod. I use a classic for the vehicle.
rgarjr is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502

I prefer device consolidation so a larger capacity iPhone works for me. I don't have too much music and I've got room for video too along with anything else.

That being said, there is an iPod Classic in the wife's minivan but it's hooked up to the TV in there so the kids have ALL the video they need.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
jf1450
macrumors member

Ya can't beat the battery life on that iPod! I've got both (4s and iPod Touch) and use the iPod quite a bit listening to music.
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

I have Classic for travel in car. Both music & movies. Can't beat it. Also do not need to constantly plug in and unplug when getting in & out.
firedept is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
OnceYouGoMac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
I prefer device consolidation so a larger capacity iPhone works for me. I don't have too much music and I've got room for video too along with anything else.

That being said, there is an iPod Classic in the wife's minivan but it's hooked up to the TV in there so the kids have ALL the video they need.
Sounds like one of those loan adverts that used to be on British TV! "consolidate all your devices into one easy to manage device"
OnceYouGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Ann P
macrumors 68000

Aside from my iphone, I have an old ipod Touch that I leave in the car. Also have a little 6th gen Nano for working out at the gym.
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:06 PM   #8
raptorstv
Banned

iPod classic is so expensive eh... $250 for that brick?
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
J&JPolangin
macrumors 68020

While I don't have an iPhone (I have an Evo), I couldn't imagine trying to use my phone for much entertainment also as I conserve my battery for phone and internet/email use...throwing music into the mix, it wouldn't last a whole day

I have an iPod 60Gb photo and two different generations of Nano's (3rd and 4th) in our vehicles, an iPod Touch 4th gen for casual use and a 4th gen shuffle for biking...so yes, I'd recommend a separate iPod just for music
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:28 AM   #10
NewAnger
Banned

Even though I have two iPhones (64GB and 32GB) plus a 16GB Nano, I still prefer to use my 160GB Classic in the car because of how much I can have on it. The Classic is nearly full with 150GB, 90 of that is music, the rest are podcasts.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:08 AM   #11
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
iPod classic is so expensive eh... $250 for that brick?
Brick maybe, but lots of suggestions in regards to it. It really does a great job and holds a lot of music. I even upgraded my HDD privately to a 500GB HDD so I could put more on it. You can even get SSD for it as well. Most of us are probably only using it in the car so it is not being handled in and out of the car. Mine stays permanently in my car unless I need to add more to it. Well worth the money and IMO more durable than the new iPods.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

Depends on the use. I have one iPod I constantly keep in the car, another iPod I use for sports and then I also have an iPhone. Works well for me.
Patriks7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

If you don't know what you'd do with one, then don't buy it.

I personally have reasons why I don't want to buy a huge capacity iPhone/iPad. One of them is that if it breaks, it breaks and there goes all my music, pictures, and apps. So I like having it all separated. I'd rather reload apps than I would music. It's a PITA, especially when you have to decide which tracks go in since my library doesn't even fit into the classic - And yes, I CAN tell the difference, so I can't downgrade tracks.

I use my iPod Nano for music, counting my steps, podcasts, listening to the radio, audiobooks, and iTunes U content. I also use the photo app for viewing flashcards that I make on Quizlet, export as PDF, and then JPG.

But if you're not into any of that, then it'll just be something that sits in your drawer. So really think about it before you spend the money.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:51 PM   #14
BugBytes
macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4S and use that as an iPod and as a phone. I like the iPod form factor(s) but never was willing to spend the money for another device when I already had one that did the job of an iPod (and more) perfectly fine.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Hamburger
macrumors regular

another classic (80gb) here. it holds my entire music collection and sits in stereo at home or in car. biggest advantage is that you can still listen to albums by one artist in album order, not alphabetically by song like on Touch and iphone. although there is an app to listen by album as well there.
other advantage ist that iphone doesn't constantly load when on stereo set or in car. with the 2007 classic i don't care whether thats possibly bad for the battery. but on the go apart from car i only use iphone (32gb) for music, it holds most of my stuff.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:31 PM   #16
diane143
macrumors 6502

My phone was the last device I got. I still have a 40gb 3rd gen (black and white) that I have in a dock in the living room. I use that all the time, though I'm not good at keeping it synced.

My Shuffle I use for working out. The phone I use in the car as I have a charger in there. I have a 1G Touch that really doesn't get used anymore. I have a clock radio with a dock on my desk, but I will usually just use iTunes if I want music when working there.
diane143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod