Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
Hey guys,
I'm moving to canada in february, so I thought I'd change my apple ID country to match. Previously I had a Pakistani account. Anyways did it pretty easily from my iphone by accessing my ID, it didn't even need a credit card I just chose canada, payment option as none and put my new canadian address in and it changed.

The problem started when my itunes showed an update. I tried and it said sign into the ID the apps were downloaded with, but I have the same ID. I searched the forum and apparently you have to redownload every app from the new store. If it's payed it lets you know that you've paid for it once and can redownload it. I have around 500 apps, around half of them paid so I thought alright no biggie everytime an update shows up ill just do the redownload thing.

Here's the problem. I tried this with around 10 paid apps. They downloaded using the new canadian ID. It sent the old apps to the recycle bin. I synced my phone but didnt notice any apps getting transfered. If I go back to itunes it still shows that app as undownloaded and I can redownload it infinitely. I don't know why itunes/icloud isnt detecting that this app is already downloaded on my new canadian ID. I went into the app store on my iphone and it shows that I have no purchased apps even though I redownloaded all of them again.

Can someone help? One theory that comes to mind is the christmas break, maybe someone needs to verify it or process it on icloud before it goes through. I don't know any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
If you change country in your Apple ID, any and all app that your purchased in the App Store of country A that doesn't exist in the App Store in country B will be "frozen in time". No more sync or updates for them...

This is a huge problem for people moving ever so often, and I've heard the same complaints before. The best thing to do is to change back to country A and create a second Apple ID for country B... There is nothing stopping you from using both in iTunes, on your phone etc.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
If you change country in your Apple ID, any and all app that your purchased in the App Store of country A that doesn't exist in the App Store in country B will be "frozen in time". No more sync or updates for them...

This is a huge problem for people moving ever so often, and I've heard the same complaints before. The best thing to do is to change back to country A and create a second Apple ID for country B... There is nothing stopping you from using both in iTunes, on your phone etc.

I understand that but most of my apps are universal like facebook, whatsapp, twitter and a bunch of games! I can access them and update them but icloud doesnt register that they are downloaded :S

It's call Apple and the old "90 Days' option I think.

Sorry didn't get that?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I understand that but most of my apps are universal like facebook, whatsapp, twitter and a bunch of games! I can access them and update them but icloud doesnt register that they are downloaded :S

Oh, I see. Well, that's a first for me then. Sorry I can't help you, I hope it'll work out for you!

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Yes, best thing is to have different accounts. But it can get messy and annoying. At the moment I have an US, UK, Spain, Italy and Israel account. Yes, I've lived in all those countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.