Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
By analyzing this chart, this probably means that the current 13 inch and 15 inch cMBP will be done away with, being replaced by the retina versions of each.

Eventually yes. But likely not for a bit longer as SSD sizes and overall component prices are at decent levels for mass appeal.

Cactii

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I am always astonished at the people who think dumping Intel and using an Apple "CPU" would be a good thing.
It would be a monumental stupid thing to do...
-P

Totally agree with you. Intel has a very clear roadmap and since Apple has switched to Intel they are finally competitive in terms of performance.

Apple developing their own CPU (for their computer lineup) would not be good idea for us, the price conscious consumer. I don't think Apple could keep the production and development cost low enough or be at least on par with Intel.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
So more expensive macs cause of retina? Wanted to see a price drop with a spec bump. Don't really care for retina on a pc.

Main thing was I was hoping it'll be cheaper as I need to get a laptop for college.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If the whole MacBook lineup is going Retina, then I and all the people who've signed petitions for anti-glare screens are going to anxiously wait to see if the all-Retinas are going to include an anti-glare option.

After this many years it really is time to give up. The matte finish, no glare screen you want is not coming back.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
My mid 2012 mbp 13 was my first macbook now I think it will be my last as well. I dont like having a laptop I cant upgrade. Im also not a fan of ssd. I like having a large amount of internal memory.

Im ok with the super drive being taken out but there should be a hdd option.

And retina display just doesnt impress me much. The display on my non retina mbp is just fine.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I agree with you.

However profit, and pushing prices higher seemed to be Apple's main purpose behind "Retina" from day one. It's what Apple is about.

Beg to differ.

They want to make good products and depending on what feature is introduced that costs more.
Usually they try to keep a certain price point and lower models under that price.

Retina was of course not only introduced to make more money. It gives photo, video and film professionals quite a tool.

Expanding Retina screens to all machines is a natural, as that streamlines purchasing.

Didn't follow if they have a matte Retina option, but we can queue the outcry if they don't offer an anti glare option.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Aww when I got my cMBP this year for the first time in my life (after so many crappy Windows machines) I loved my computer so much that I wanted to open it up and improve it. I spent hours reading reviews on the best RAM and SSD upgrades and when I finally opened it up it was like a joy: this girly girl who doesn't know squat about computers was improving her computer. I love that little silver machine and would be sad to see it go the way of the dodo bird.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
The next update I'll do is the Air with Retina. So no retina = no sale. A little more power won't mean anything to me.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
If the whole MacBook lineup is going Retina, then I and all the people who've signed petitions for anti-glare screens are going to anxiously wait to see if the all-Retinas are going to include an anti-glare option.

I've tried out the Retinas and the latest 2012 iMacs - and the advertised 75% less reflective screen has to do with the intensity of the reflection, i.e. the reflection is darker. But the reflection is still there, and you can see the detail of what is behind you. It's darker, but still as clear as ever. Hence, if someone held a book open behind you, the reflection of the Retinas and new iMacs would be darker than the earlier glossy screens, but you would still be able to read the writing of the book's reflection.

Hence, the reflections are still annoying under CERTAIN lighting conditions.

It's still a total disaster if your new 2012 iMac or Retina MacBook Pro has its screen directly facing a sun-lit window where the exterior is in total sunshine.

Tim Cook has no idea how bad, in some but not all, lighting conditions, these still-glossy screens can make life so difficult for some users, because Tim Cook uses his iPad 80% of the time.
Then move your desk ffs. I get that the glare is annoying, I wholeheartedly agree, I've had a 27" Thunderbolt displays and iMacs for a while, it can be a pain. But a desk lamp behind your screen, some curtains, a desk adjustment... these are not cutting-edge technologies. If you're in a brightly lit open-plan office, well, get a job in the mines.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
My mid 2012 mbp 13 was my first macbook now I think it will be my last as well. I dont like having a laptop I cant upgrade. Im also not a fan of ssd. I like having a large amount of internal memory.

Im ok with the super drive being taken out but there should be a hdd option.

And retina display just doesnt impress me much. The display on my non retina mbp is just fine.

Same here. Superdrive Shmuperdrive. If anybody needs one get a $ 29 external and be honest about how often you actually use it.

Like many I make my own upgrades as I have the money and need them.

Right now we can get away with a good base model with as much HD space as fits and then wait for a while to add memory.

SSD also has a way to go.

The initial price tag at purchase for an all decked out MBP 15 inch is going to be too high for many.

I know they want to drive us all into the cloud this and cloud that, but I just can't trust that concept.

Between no internet access, depending on where one is or provider outages and Apple's non stellar record in that field Dropbox is the best solution for me.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...

Screen resolutions have increased constantly over time. 320x200 was enough for most applications not too long ago :) Prices will come down as more computer makers adopt the higher resolution displays. Current owners of Retina MacBook Pro's have to pay the early adopter tax. Which is fine with me. Heck, the display was the biggest selling point for me on this thing :)

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
This is an exciting event and an exciting step forward for the MacBook line up. I didn't think it would ever be cheaper. Apple is trying to sell a premium device. I also don't think the service-ability is a big issue since most people won't crack open their MacBooks without hesitation. All I'm curious about is how will they justify selling the MacBook Air 13" and MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. It would be awkward considering Apple would be competing with itself for the best 13" ultra portable....

In the end, change will always disappoint some people and appeal to others.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Hopefully they still keep the old form factor. Personally I like the thicker laptop...and the ability to open/upgrade it if needed.

There is no reason at all for not having Retina in that model/factor.

If people want the thinner retina, let them buy it.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
It is about time! I thought long and hard about whether I should buy the new macbook pro 15" with the retina display because at the time it seemed frivolous and expensive but now that I've had this computer for a few months, I still can't get over how beautiful this screen looks. It also seriously turns heads because anyone else who looks at my computer says the same thing. The disadvantage is that I find it hard to look at any other kind of screen because the pixels are so prominent it is distracting. Definitely no buyers remorse for me and I would heartily recommend it for anyone who will primarily use the laptop in a non docking station configuration.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That's how I read it, too. Perhaps Apple is close to introducing its own processor. If that happens, I think it would silence those who criticize Tim Cook as not being an innovative CEO.

No current or planned ARM design rival Ivy Bridge, much less Haswell. Such a move might be innovative, but it'll sure hurt the performance of MacBook Airs. The 2012 models will be much faster performers.

Not to mention the compatibility with existing software.

An architecture move, and a split one accross the line-up (ARM MacBook Airs/ x86 MacBook Pros) would be a nightmare. Innovation be damned.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Same here. Superdrive Shmuperdrive. If anybody needs one get a $ 29 external and be honest about how often you actually use it.

Like many I make my own upgrades as I have the money and need them.

Right now we can get away with a good base model with as much HD space as fits and then wait for a while to add memory.

SSD also has a way to go.

The initial price tag at purchase for an all decked out MBP 15 inch is going to be too high for many.

I know they want to drive us all into the cloud this and cloud that, but I just can't trust that concept.

Between no internet access, depending on where one is or provider outages and Apple's non stellar record in that field Dropbox is the best solution for me.

They should keep both models IMO. There is no reason for them both not to exist. Let those that want the thinner Flash drive and form factor have it. Let us that want the thicker form factor with a HHD/SSD and optical drive have it but give us Retina also as an option.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I thought the current ARM designs were 32bit only though? In other words no 8GB RAM or 64 bit applications

ARM 32 bit processors can support 8GB of RAM (more actually) as they implement a form of PAE.

You do know Intel x86 chips supported up to 64 GB of RAM even though they were 32 bit, at least since the late 90s and the P6 architecture (the P5 architecture might also have had support for PAE, not sure, not looking it up).

The problem is that although the overall system can address all the RAM, process space is limited to the 32 bit limit of 4 GB because while VM is addressed accross (I think) 36 bit under Intel PAE, in-process pointers are still limited to 32 bit integers.

But that's besides the point. No ARM architectures can match Ivy Bridge, and if they do, they won't give you the power savings you'd expect. The laws of physics are working against them.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...

My guess is they will keep the same price points in some way...there is no way they will kill off their only $999 notebook offering (And the same for a 13".)

But the main issue...if the 13" MBA has retina...why would you spend more to buy the 13" Pro? I guess a slower CPU maybe? They can't really skimp on the graphics performance so it will be about the same in that regard (HD 4000.) In terms of ports the Air will just have one less thunderbolt port?

Unless the Air becomes the first machine to make the switch to their new in house ARM processors..

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Air + IGZO + Haswell = Winner?

I see a lot of fear around performance and battery life with taking the Air retina, but I'm wondering if Apple's reported shift toward IGZO technology could address some of those issues? Aren't IGZO displays supposed to consume much less energy?

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I would like to have a 13" i7 air with 256GB ssd and 16GB of ram to replace my 2010 13" MBP. Though I wish the airs had a black boarder around the screen like the pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.