Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #51
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
What do you use to download torrent files on the iPad? How do you move them to the dropbox folder?

tnx
Just tap the download button for the torrent like you would on a normal desktop. I use Safari, so when I tap the button, it brings up the options to open the file in certain apps, including DropBox. I tap DropBox, it switches to DropBox, then I choose the folder to upload the torrent into. Its extremely simple, I promise.
GraphicsGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:20 PM   #52
MT0227
macrumors 6502

For me:

Ipad = Consumption Device; Music, Movies, Internet Content (Web/Mail) and a game here or there.

Macbook Pro = Production Device; Photo, Video, Music editing....MSFT Office for work related stuff and remote desktop.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:39 PM   #53
Poisonivy326
macrumors regular

The ipad was the reason I decided to go with a low-end MBP. Reading, browsing, games, etc. I do on my ipad. Downloading torrents, making documents/presentations, storing all 6 seasons of LOST, all the "unfun" stuff, I figured a regular old cMBP would do.

I kind of don't get the people who have both an ipad and a maxed out retina macbook pro.
Poisonivy326 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:53 PM   #54
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiologyman View Post
How can one use a bt mouse with iPad? Thx!
jailbreak iOS 5.1.1

download an app from Cydia called BTC Mouse and Trackpad

then hook up a BT mouse and boom! you have quite possibly the most functional mobile device ever
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:46 AM   #55
KiranB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonivy326 View Post
The ipad was the reason I decided to go with a low-end MBP. Reading, browsing, games, etc. I do on my ipad. Downloading torrents, making documents/presentations, storing all 6 seasons of LOST, all the "unfun" stuff, I figured a regular old cMBP would do.

I kind of don't get the people who have both an ipad and a maxed out retina macbook pro.
I got pages and keynote yesterday for the ipad got to say its pretty impressive! I really am thinking of selling my MacBook .. As I can use the family iMac for whatever or if ever I need to
KiranB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:01 PM   #56
radiologyman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT0227 View Post
For me:

Ipad = Consumption Device; Music, Movies, Internet Content (Web/Mail) and a game here or there.

Macbook Pro = Production Device; Photo, Video, Music editing....MSFT Office for work related stuff and remote desktop.
Ditto, IPad is a fantastic device, but a lot of things can be done faster or only on a laptop (computer). I see them as complimentary. I can see though how for somebody who is not a power user an iPad is enough.

Last edited by radiologyman; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
radiologyman is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:35 AM   #57
here2rock
macrumors regular

iPad was never meant to replace your MacBook Pro, if it does then you never needed a MacBook Pro in the first place.
here2rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:54 PM   #58
KiranB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by here2rock View Post
iPad was never meant to replace your MacBook Pro, if it does then you never needed a MacBook Pro in the first place.
Well that's just every ones personal opinion ... For me it has replaced my MacBook .. For others it may not .. Simple
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:00 PM   #59
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

iPad still not practical yet with its lackluster multitasking.

No way I could do a research paper using just the iPad plus typing on a touchscreen is hard for long papers.

Computers are still relevant.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:05 PM   #60
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicsGeek View Post
I immediately sold my 17" MacBook Pro when I got an iPad and replaced it with an iMac. The only reason I have a regular computer is because I am a freelance graphic designer. So my iMac handles all of the heavy work while my iPad mini is for everything else.

I dload torrents from my iPad using uTorrent on my iMac. I set it up to watch a specific DropBox folder for .torrent files. On my iPad when I download a torrent I save it to that DropBox folder and uTorrent on my iMac sees it in that folder and begins downloading it.
Wow thanks this is useful!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:32 PM   #61
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iPad still not practical yet with its lackluster multitasking.

No way I could do a research paper using just the iPad plus typing on a touchscreen is hard for long papers.

Computers are still relevant.
I wrote the first draft of my dissertation on it. Of course, I used the external keynoard. It's great to be able to handwrite when you want, write and read in portrait mode, work for 8 or 9 hours without a charge, and have it available even lying in bed.

Computers are relevant, but with remote login apps like Logmein, they rarely leave my home / office anymore.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:49 PM   #62
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
I wrote the first draft of my dissertation on it. Of course, I used the external keynoard. It's great to be able to handwrite when you want, write and read in portrait mode, work for 8 or 9 hours without a charge, and have it available even lying in bed.

Computers are relevant, but with remote login apps like Logmein, they rarely leave my home / office anymore.
The question is whether you can do it or not but if its more efficient and that still goes to the computer.

I'm sure eventually tablets will be dominant but until then I just feel like forcing yourself to be in the post-PC world doesn't feel right.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:52 AM   #63
KiranB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post

Snap ... I have also done many job applications and cover letters on the ipad... It is useful ... But as I said it all depends on what you want to use it for
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:49 AM   #64
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
The question is whether you can do it or not but if its more efficient and that still goes to the computer.

I'm sure eventually tablets will be dominant but until then I just feel like forcing yourself to be in the post-PC world doesn't feel right.
I don't know if it is more "efficient," but I do like the freedom of being able to do everything on one device no matter where I am. There are many times in bed or standing in line that I have corrected a paragraph here or a paragraph there. I am certain I would not have pulled out my MBA to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranB View Post
Snap ... I have also done many job applications and cover letters on the ipad... It is useful ... But as I said it all depends on what you want to use it for
Exactly. If you are just writing, then the iPad can be tremendously powerful, especially if you have minimal formatting. If you tend to work with forty windows open at once and three screens at your desk at work, then I'd say the iPad is going to feel insufficient. There are a lot of tasks the iPad is simply incapable of doing (OCR for PDFs, for example -- you could use a remote login app to do it, but then you might as well just carry your laptop with you if this is a big part of your work).
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:15 PM   #65
lowonthe456
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
I get a substantial amount of "real work" done on my iPad.
If I could download the mp3's you get when buying new vinyl records into itunes, my MBA 2011 13" would be sold. Thats all it does anymore unfortunately. I love the MBA, I just don't need it anymore save for this one stupid task (adding music to iTunes from outside sources - and I buy all digital music from iTunes...but I buy vinyl as well)
lowonthe456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:56 PM   #66
radiologyman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowonthe456 View Post
If I could download the mp3's you get when buying new vinyl records into itunes, my MBA 2011 13" would be sold. Thats all it does anymore unfortunately. I love the MBA, I just don't need it anymore save for this one stupid task (adding music to iTunes from outside sources - and I buy all digital music from iTunes...but I buy vinyl as well)
I'm seeing more and more tasks taken over by iPad 4. I use it and iPhone during the day and only open my hi end Sony z21 while in bed before sleep since I like to read while catching a movie on same screen. I do use remote login from iPad when I need to access the PC quickly.
radiologyman is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad