Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
All retina is expected, but how will the 11 inch air run it when it only lasts 3 hours with a normal display...here comes the heavier airs.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
Agreed. We are force-fed a resolution (and the resulting price) some of us don't need, on top of that, we are now facing ANOTHER processor switch, which will likely make a lot of our prior software obsolete.

I'm just tired....

Nobody forces you to buy anything you don't like. Show Apple with your wallet that you don't like higher resolution displays. Personally I love those. Looking at a lower resolution display now is just terrible.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
After seeing what they did with iMac in 2012 I'm now lot more inclined to get 2012 MBP before they move everything to Retina and more importantly non-user upgradable.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...

The Air won't see Retina for a while. The price will come down eventually. So when you no longer have a choice, price won't matter. But seriously, Retina is just arbitrary. One could complain about the MacBook Air screen being too high a resolution and wish for a cheaper one with lower resolution. After all, the 13" Non-retina MBP has a lower resolution than the 13" MBAir.

However profit, and pushing prices higher seemed to be Apple's main purpose behind "Retina" from day one. It's what Apple is about.

Name one product line that got significantly more expensive than when it was introduced. I can only think of the Mac mini which first started at $499, but now starts at $599. Most got cheaper.

i agree with this 10000% and apple is updating their stuff too frequently now.. can we has fewer but bigger updates instead of frequent small updates

Simple solution: don't buy every update. Skip a few and then you have exactly what you want, less frequent but bigger updates. In what way is offering more updates more frequently a bad thing, other than to those who feel they must rush out and buy the latest model?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Believe me when I say, there are folks here (speaking for at least myself) that could care less for a retina display.

My work needs a performance machine that can handle normal tasks for business use.

I could care less if my excel spreadsheet has some extra dpi. Give me a better battery in my MBA, and more RAM (8 was a great bump!).

Retina- retina- retina- blah blah blah
My 1080p monitor has just fine resolution, thank you very much.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Will be the contrarian and say I'll never buy another device that isn't retina. My parents bought one of the new 21.5" iMacs for Christmas. Beautiful machine, but that low resolution screen is unviewable to me now.

Rarely ever use my 27" Cinema Display, but it sits far enough away that it doesn't look nearly as bad as the 21.5" model.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
With the iPad 2, Apple has retained an older product and lowered its price to make room for a new product, but that move would also be unusual for Apple's notebook line.
Unusual, but not unheard of. They kept the white 13" MacBook around at a slightly lower price after introducing the pricier aluminum 13" MacBook.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Will be the contrarian and say I'll never buy another device that isn't retina. My parents bought one of the new 21.5" iMacs for Christmas. Beautiful machine, but that low resolution screen is unviewable to me now.

Cry me a river.

I grew up with this:

Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png

I don't think the current generation is 'unviewable'.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
They should keep both models IMO. There is no reason for them both not to exist. Let those that want the thinner Flash drive and form factor have it. Let us that want the thicker form factor with a HHD/SSD and optical drive have it but give us Retina also as an option.

Agreed, don't really see why not.

My MBP is basically a desktop that I can take with me with all these features.

For the few minutes I carry it to wherever I go the weight issue is insignificant.

As for Retina , maybe if the price is right.

We lived without Retina all our lives. People forget:)

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Unless Apple bought into Boulder (think Project Denver, aka Nvidia), Im guessing any true platform change would be on a processor of their own design. I'd guess that we won't see that for some time however. Apple has an OS that can run on ARM, and the software, compiler, everything ready in one sense. However, it begins a huge transition that people simply aren't ready for. The poor sales of Surface RT are due in part to this-though the people that buy them are likely looking for something both new and cheap and may not care. Probably even bigger an issue with ARM cores is what the technology is looking like a few years out. Processing power is getting to be easier to come by, but Apple is going to have to look at it's own roadmap to see if ARM has what it needs for the products it intends to roll out. I don't think that there is any way to guess on that =).

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
But the lack of user upgradeability is the reason I won't even consider the current rMBP.

You need to realize that Apple does everything it can to make things simple for its users.

If a user needs more RAM or a bigger hard drive, they simply buy a new laptop. The friendly Genius will be happy to migrate all the data for you.

The need to go under the hood and get your hands dirty is un-Apple-like. It is simpler to simply buy a newer and ever-simpler machine.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
And going by the track record of how trustworthy statements like these from a Apple CEO can be taken to be as gospel truth…  I'd wager that iOS and OS X *will* converge.

Yes they will...but not because of ARM...More because x86 becomes more power efficient over time and will be included in an iPad Pro at first and later even on the iPhone. I'm sure tablet running Windows 8 and x86 will be a huge competition for Apple, because - wow get this - you can actually do some productive stuff on them, since their processors are just much faster.

People on MacRumors blow ARMs power way out of proportions lately. Intel still runs circles around ARM and they have a lot more money to spend to cut down power even further.

From a cost standpoint right now it has probably been more advantageous to design their own ARM processor for Apple. In the long run it will be cheaper to just buy off the shelf products from Intel or other companies.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
We lived without Retina all our lives. People forget:)

Yep...but I just went home to my folks for the holidays and they had a SD in one of the rooms...holy crap on watching SD TV now...makes you realize how ****** it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Hopefully they still keep the old form factor. Personally I like the thicker laptop...and the ability to open/upgrade it if needed.

There is no reason at all for not having Retina in that model/factor.

If people want the thinner retina, let them buy it.

Actually what there's no reason at all for is thicker laptops with or without retina displays. Yes, it's beneficial for you - I'm not disputing that. But it's not beneficial for Apple, and ultimately they're in business for them, not for you.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This isn't surprising at all. They'll dump the cMBPs and make the MBP exclusively Retina. And it will look exactly like the retinas now. No reason to make another whole new design, when it just came out.

The Retinas should be Pro-only for now. People are paying a premium for these products and the Retina screen should stick to laptops at the higher price point. If people want a cheaper laptop, the Air is good for 95% of users out there.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
People keep talking about Apple TV as the next big thing, meh. I think apple already has something better in the pipeline. An Arm based MBA starting at $500. I think that would double mac sales year over year for at least 2-3 years (they'll give us NON-retina first, retina 2nd year, maybe a mini or nano 3rd year).

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Ive played on a few up in my local Apple Store and it seems to run Aperture flawlessly.

You saw Jonny IVE testing Aperture on machines in your local Mac Store?

Gosh, this management shake up and retail u-turn is much more radical than any could have guessed.

Hat off to Tim COOK, he really is his own man.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If Intel is dropped for ARM does this mean we have to purchase new software? I am going to wait before buying a new MBP.

Bottom line: Eventually we all have to update s/w regardless.

I've been though every one of the Mac's changes, from the 680x0 to PPC then from PPC to Intel then mix in all the Apple s/w that required specific graphics chips. There is always something to throw wrench in the workflow.

But that said, Apple transitions aren't that painful. Frustrating if you are an early adopter, but Apple doesn't require that. It's not like they depreciate h/w and s/w one night and next day everything is new. It's much more evolutionary and the transition is spread out over several years. Your existing h/w will continue to be useful for it's normal lifespan. And some sort of virtualization will keep older s/w on life support in new machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.