Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Planning on getting a mini shortly. It'll be used as an iTunes server for my AppleTV amongst many other things. I was thinking I'd use my 2tb usb3 drive and leave it permanently hooked up to the mini to store video content. Any drawbacks to this method? I've decided to go for a 1tb Fusion drive, so this way I'd have plenty of plenty of space on that for files etc that Ill be actively using. Briefly considered just getting a 256 ssd but....naah.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The only issue I can see is that external drives are automatically excluded from Time Machine backups, so if you want those files backed up just manually remove that drive from the TM exclude list.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Ta.

I just wondered if it'd cause many hitches mounting/unmounting when I put it to sleep etc. Bar an old Mac Mini which I never used with an external drive, all my macs have been laptops that I've only really connected to external drives for backup purposes etc.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ta.

I just wondered if it'd cause many hitches mounting/unmounting when I put it to sleep etc. Bar an old Mac Mini which I never used with an external drive, all my macs have been laptops that I've only really connected to external drives for backup purposes etc.

It will remount when waking from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.