I have a few weird, unexplained issues - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

I have a few weird, unexplained issues

Background: I'm making a simple program that solves quadratic equations and completes the squares. Now, I have a few issues:

1. For some reason, when I do something like this (not actual code):
Code:
double a = 5/2;
NSLog(@"%f", a);
The output will be 2.000000, instead of 2.5. And this happens to any operation that has decimal points. It just rounds it down to an integer, depute being a type of
Code:
double
. This gives invalid answers, and I need help. Please.

2. Since it solves quadratic equations, let's say is the answer is a whole number(probably 5). Since the answer variable is of type
Code:
double
, it will output 5.000000. How do I make it do just 5?

3. I made it obtain the values from three separate UITextFields. As a result, the value was a string and so I had to set up a scanner to scan for the integers. Here is the code:
Code:
NSCharacterSet* charSet = [NSCharacterSet decimalDigitCharacterSet];

NSScanner* aScanner = [NSScanner scannerWithString:self.aValue.text];
    NSScanner* bScanner = [NSScanner scannerWithString:self.bValue.text];
    NSScanner* cScanner = [NSScanner scannerWithString:self.cValue.text];

[aScanner scanUpToCharactersFromSet:charSet intoString:nil];
    [bScanner scanUpToCharactersFromSet:charSet intoString:nil];
    [cScanner scanUpToCharactersFromSet:charSet intoString:nil];

[aScanner scanInt:&aVal];
    [bScanner scanInt:&bVal];
    [cScanner scanInt:&cVal];
This code is fair enough, and works fine for positive values. As you can imagine, if the user enters a negative value, it will ignore it. How can I adjust this to scan for the sign also, so it can also work for negative values?

Thank you for your time. I have attached the entire project file of you want to take a look.
Attached Files
File Type: zip iPhoneQuadEqSolver.zip (78.2 KB, 3 views)
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
xStep
macrumors 68000

1. Notice that you are dividing one whole number by another. The return value from that will be a whole number. You need to cast at least one of those values to a double.

Code:
double foo = (double) 5 / (double) 2;

2. You could use the remainder() function to discover if the number is evenly divisible by 1. Like so, along with two ways of not printing the trailing zeros. Play with it.

Code:
if ( remainder(foo,1) == 0.0) {
  NSLog(@"number is: %d", (NSInteger)foo); // Notice the casting.
  NSLog(@"number is: %9.0f", foo); // // No casting, but a fixed length. 9 characters before the period, and zero following.
}
else
  NSLog(@"number is: %f", foo);

3. First you read the documentation for NSString to see what it can do. In this case search the page for the word double and low & behold you'll find the doubleValue method. It will pass back positive and negative values.

Code:
double foo = [mytext.text doubleValue];
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
1 - xStep's explanation is correct, but a simpler / shorter solution would be just appending a .0 to the end of each number, which will cause it to be a float or double instead of a int or long.

2 - Rather than using remainder() like xStep said, you could also use modulus, which is the same thing... it looks like a%b... That is, the remainder when a is divided by b.

3 - I don't know of anything simpler than xStep provided.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStep View Post
1. Notice that you are dividing one whole number by another. The return value from that will be a whole number. You need to cast at least one of those values to a double.

Code:
double foo = (double) 5 / (double) 2;

2. You could use the remainder() function to discover if the number is evenly divisible by 1. Like so, along with two ways of not printing the trailing zeros. Play with it.

Code:
if ( remainder(foo,1) == 0.0) {
  NSLog(@"number is: %d", (NSInteger)foo); // Notice the casting.
  NSLog(@"number is: %9.0f", foo); // // No casting, but a fixed length. 9 characters before the period, and zero following.
}
else
  NSLog(@"number is: %f", foo);

3. First you read the documentation for NSString to see what it can do. In this case search the page for the word double and low & behold you'll find the doubleValue method. It will pass back positive and negative values.

Code:
double foo = [mytext.text doubleValue];
Thanks a lot man!
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
1 - xStep's explanation is correct, but a simpler / shorter solution would be just appending a .0 to the end of each number, which will cause it to be a float or double instead of a int or long.

2 - Rather than using remainder() like xStep said, you could also use modulus, which is the same thing... it looks like a%b... That is, the remainder when a is divided by b.
1. I assumed adildacoolset was using an int or NSInteger value instead of numbers as in the sample, so the cast would be necessary.

2. I first tried the simple % mod method, but it doesn't work with float values, only integers. I realized I had to use a function and chose remainder over fmod.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Tags
double, float, quadratic