Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_passcode_lock_icon-150x230.jpg
The New York Times reports that New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg today released crime data for the city as 2012 draws to a close, noting that a slight increase in the overall major crime index for the city can be entirely accounted for by an increase in iPhone and iPad thefts.
As of Monday, the Police Department recorded 3,484 more major crimes in 2012 than for the same period last year. The increase in Apple product thefts: 3,890. [...]

"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we'd be down for the year," said Marc La Vorgna, the mayor's press secretary.
Thefts of Apple devices have naturally grown as their popularity has increased, and police in New York and other cities have been working to break up extensive rings of thieves and dealers trading in stolen iPhones and other electronics. Last year it was reported that in some New York City precincts more than half of the robberies in some months involved iPhones.

Today's report also notes that police have been emphasizing efforts to address theft on the city's subways, which are popular locations for gadget thefts due to the crowds and easy getaway opportunities.

Article Link: Increase in iPhone and iPad Thefts Accounts for Rise in New York City Crime Index

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
So along with 32oz sodas, he's now going to ban Apple products in the city. :) :p

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I take transit and sometimes worry about that. If there are enough people on board, I'll use my iPhone/iPad without worry.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Playing with statistics to make a lame excuse!

The increase in Apple products is due to growth in smartphone numbers and probably offset by decreased number of regular phone thefts.

If Apple hadn't increased, those others wouldn't have gone down as much and the crime number would still be bigger.

This is just some politician trying to give a reasonable sounding explanation why something else caused a problem and he shouldn't be blamed.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
I wonder how long before Samsung films an ad, mocking iPhone users for exposing themselves to theft.

Samsung Execs are scratching their heads, wondering how they can get people to steal the Galaxy S3....and then they can make a commercial about stupid, out of touch thieves stealing the iPhone......

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
These devices have unique identifying numbers. I still don't see why Apple, the Cell Companies, and the police can't coordinate to catch crooks stealing these devices. At least if the crooks don't ultimately fence them overseas. And seriously the guy doing a snatch and run job on your iPhone as you walk down the street texting, that guy doesn't have access to an overseas fence. Why can't Apple shut the device's access off from the Apple store? Yes, then folks can jailbreak. But that is another inconvenience and lowers the value of the stolen phone.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
class action suit for making covetable & high black market value products.

Don't laugh. Something like that wouldn't surprise me one little bit. Not in the culture we live in today. So don't give the douche bags any ideas.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Samsung Execs are scratching their heads, wondering how they can get people to steal the Galaxy S3....and then they can make a commercial about stupid, out of touch thieves stealing the iPhone......

These sorts of reactions of immense insult is what makes these commercials so great. The fact so many people hate Samsung is hilarious-just as hilarious as people who hate Apple.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
If Only Assault Rifles Were Legal

There is a simple solution to this problem. We need more guns in our inner cities to prevent crime. We need an assault rifle store on every block in Manhattan. That will teach these theives a lesson.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

Find My iPhone lets you lock, erase, or brick an iPhone remotely. You can also see where it is, and...um...talk the guy into returning it.

Can also make it beep loudly, great for when the kids have hidden it.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Two sides to this. Either you are on the side of Apple product control or you believe that Apple products do not cause crimes... people cause crimes.

Political mess incoming! :rolleyes:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
There is a simple solution to this problem. We need more guns in our inner cities to prevent crime. We need an assault rifle store on every block in Manhattan. That will teach these theives a lesson.

Or if people could just buy MULTIPLE iPads and iPhones, it's a win-win. Apple sells more, and if your iPad or iPhone gets stolen, you have another one at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.