Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Kaex88
macrumors newbie

Late 2008 MacBook 13" won't move past loading screen

Help! When I last used my MacBook today, I had clicked upgrade to latest iTunes and shortly thereafter the battery died.

After charging, I got a black screen with the loading circle. I shutdown by holding down the power button. When I started it up again, I got the bright white screen with the apple logo and loading circle. After 2 minutes the apple logo became a circle with a strike through. I shutdown by holding down the power button again.

Then I started it up and immediately held down Alt. it gave me the option to load Mac hard drive or Recovery 10.8. I tried both and got the same bright white screen with apple logo and spinning circle. This was accompanied by the sound of the hard drive whirring (sounded like a stuck disk in a DVD player) and the MacBook fan spinning loudly.

What do I do ?

(I'm on mountain lion. Hate it, just haven't had a chance to move back to snow leopard)
Kaex88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Service Droid
macrumors newbie

Machine shutting down during software updates like that and you're likely to corrupt your os which is what has happened here.

You need a clean install and start again. Data may be recoverable though I can't say for sure without seeing the machine.
Service Droid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Kaex88
macrumors newbie

Thanks... So I plug in a pen drive with the OSX installer on a partition drive and boot from that (power on + alt ) ?

Data is backed up to the most part, so I'm not worried about that
Kaex88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
biggd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaex88 View Post
Thanks... So I plug in a pen drive with the OSX installer on a partition drive and boot from that (power on + alt ) ?

Data is backed up to the most part, so I'm not worried about that
If data is backup, wipe drive and clean install.
Or partition for the few remaining items to data recover.
biggd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook