Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
my sister loves the ipad mini she is so happy she waited:)

said she spent the money real good:D

i was like wait till u see what comes out next yr :p

she was like what? i said Retina ipad mini :cool:

she was like :confused:

in my mind i should ve kept my mouth shut:(

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I recently visited an Apple Store and tried out the iPad mini and the iPad. The mini is so much nicer to hold and use, in my opinion. Watching a movie would be nicer on the regular iPad though.

I think this will be a repeat of the iPod mini being replaced by the iPod nano. In the end, Apple replaces one top-selling product with another top-selling product. And competitors aren't even close.

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Why is everyone missing the point here?

Give those workers a ****ing break. People can wait a week for their iPad minis.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Although its not a big deal that many people have to work through their national holidays (like me sometimes!) it is pretty rubbish when you consider that 99% of these people are migrant workers who only get to see their families and possibly children ... Once a year.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
The thing is that Foxconn is exploiting factory workers without any real outlook on any sort of progress. Foxconn will be still Foxconn in 20 years time exploiting next generations of factory workers. A company like Foxconn would be excusable if their would be any possible progress in the future, like what happened in South Korea. But in its present form it is simply a 21st century form of slave labor.

Well, IBM was helping the Nazis keep track of the millions of Jews in concentration camps during World War II. I doubt most people associate IBM with Hitler these days. Businesses tend to change due to outside forces just as much as internal choices. I think Foxconn will look vastly different in 20 years.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants. It makes sense that they came out with the iPad 4 when they did, to keep the interest up in that device and prevent too much cannibalization. It seems that Apple might be aiming more toward an iPad (the Mini) and an iPad Pro lineup for the future.

Why would this surprise you? Other manufacturers have released 7" tablets, and this provided a lower set of price points to push continued growth. I'm curious if you're describing something beyond that. Is there something about the Mini that you find interesting relative to the standard iPad?

Mr Staunton

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Melbourne, Aus
Interesting times, especially if you bear in mind that Windows 8 sales are not really lifting off due to decreased PC sales (20% down year over year in the US). The post-PC era is real and Apple saw it coming way beyond the horizon. Now that's vision. *applause*

Apple saw it coming hey, so they created a closed ecosystem iPad that is awesome to use and I love it, but you could say it is a glorified Kindle (which is also a closed system).

For anything to replace the PC, it would have to provide real world usability with access to the storage I want to use, the software I want to use, the games I want to play.

Tablets are fun and can be useful, but as a PC replacement not so.
:)

Mr Staunton

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Melbourne, Aus
Well off topic now

I can foresee a taller thinner iPad & mini to match the aspect ratio of the iPhone 5, at least that way movies would be watched in normal mode instead of the old aspect ratio.

Hey, is that a rumour I've just started ;)

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It is going to be a tablet world. The smartphone market is limited because you will only ever have one smartphone. But tablets. Yeah you can have way more than one tablet at a time.

But that Nexus 7 coming out next week with cell connection for $300. That looks mighty tempting compared to the Mini.

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
Uh...

Chinese New Year is in February. Lets wait until then before we "confirm" this story from a source with no history of accuracy...

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I'm actually shocked that people would have thought that iPad Mini would fail. It is an excellent size for many use cases. Sure it could use a retina screen and faster processors but it is an excellent gen one device.

Now my preference lies with the original size but that is me and my use case. I will upgrade my iPad 3 when Apple ups the flash memory in each size. Right now flash memory is the weak link in Apple tablet line up.

It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants. It makes sense that they came out with the iPad 4 when they did, to keep the interest up in that device and prevent too much cannibalization. It seems that Apple might be aiming more toward an iPad (the Mini) and an iPad Pro lineup for the future.

----------

You don't know what you are talking about.

Working through the Chinese New Year is a big deal, it's one of the most important holidays in their culture. Imagine if this occurred in the U.S., and thousands of minimum wage workers were forced to work through Christmas and the New Year? Oh, wait, that's already been happening, if they're lucky to find employment.

What is happening to this world? The next time I need another device, I'll think twice about how and where it is made; this is for Apple and any electronics company that works with Foxconn. It starts with all of us, our dollars do make a difference.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My friend got a Mini, and it is the most laughable iPad yet. Validates the Nexus 7 as being the best tablet in the 7in category IMO.

What's so great about the Nexus 7? It's basically just an oversized Android phone, no? ;)

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It is going to be a tablet world. The smartphone market is limited because you will only ever have one smartphone. But tablets. Yeah you can have way more than one tablet at a time.

But that Nexus 7 coming out next week with cell connection for $300. That looks mighty tempting compared to the Mini.

?????? Smart phone market is limited? Really? Seems to me we all change our phones about every 2 years. Use to change it every year before the iPhone. That's a lot of churn.

As for multiple tablets, I don't buy it. One is enough for most people... two maybe... but more than one seems a bit excessive and not a wise use of money. But if you know something I don't, educate me.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Don't worry about Tim Cook and the rest of Apple execs, I'm sure they'll have the holiday's off... AND PAID!

kdarling

macrumors P6
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants.

It was Android 7" tablet owners who told everyone what a great size it was.

Steve Jobs claimed a smaller screen was unusable and most of his fans repeated his nonsense.

Then Eddie Cue, Apple's SVP for Internet Experience, tried a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab and realized its users were right. After that, he worked to convince the Apple brass to bring out the iPad Mini.

7-inch-cue.png

(Email obtained from California trial evidence.)

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Don't rewrite history. Android 7" tablet owners said it was a great size, but Steve Jobs claimed it was unusable and most of his fans repeated his nonsense.

Then Eddie Cue, Apple's SVP for Internet Experience, used a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab and saw the light. After that, he worked to convince the Apple brass to bring out the iPad Mini.

View attachment 386446

Not to mention all the rhteoric about Steve and others at Apple testing ALL sizes and determining that 9.7" was the perfect size. Just like 3.5" was the perfect size for the iPhone...

----------

?????? Smart phone market is limited? Really? Seems to me we all change our phones about every 2 years. Use to change it every year before the iPhone. That's a lot of churn.

As for multiple tablets, I don't buy it. One is enough for most people... two maybe... but more than one seems a bit excessive and not a wise use of money. But if you know something I don't, educate me.

I don't disagree that phones get churned and burned. But It will be interesting to see the turnover for tablet purchases.

I still have my iPad (1st gen) and haven't really seen a need to upgrade yet. Sure the front facing camera would be great - but I use my phone for video chatting. I'm not discounting how great the newer iPads are. But since I'm not a gamer and don't need the retina screen (yet) - there hasn't been anything compelling. I don't really need/care for a speed burst for reading, email and web surfing.

So I (and I am sure I am not alone) could take several years to upgrade a tablet. Conversely - I usually upgrade my phone every 18 months because the advances (there at least) or more interesting to me/of use.

MacPioneer

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
I found a WWII map case (canvas & brass, with shoulder strap) which is a perfect fit for the iPad. $20 at a military surplus store.

Also fond of products from saddlebackleather.com - not cheap, but built for men, looks better the more it gets beat up, and comes with a 100 year warranty (tagline "they'll fight over it when you're dead").

I own ScotteVest garments for all seasons - vest, light jacket, fleece, winter jacket - each one has a pocket specifically designed for a full-sized iPad. My wife has a new iPad mini, which fits her purse; I have an iPad 4 as an upgrade from my Original iPad. Don't need no "man purse".

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I don't disagree that phones get churned and burned. But It will be interesting to see the turnover for tablet purchases.

I still have my iPad (1st gen) and haven't really seen a need to upgrade yet. Sure the front facing camera would be great - but I use my phone for video chatting. I'm not discounting how great the newer iPads are. But since I'm not a gamer and don't need the retina screen (yet) - there hasn't been anything compelling. I don't really need/care for a speed burst for reading, email and web surfing.

So I (and I am sure I am not alone) could take several years to upgrade a tablet. Conversely - I usually upgrade my phone every 18 months because the advances (there at least) or more interesting to me/of use.

Exactly. Not all new products are for existing customers.

New computers come out every year... new cameras come out every year.

Hell... new cars come out every year. But you don't have to buy a new one every time one is released.

A person may not buy a new iPad every time a new model comes out... but people buy iPads all the time.

There is always somebody ready to buy at any given time.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants. .....

Steve Jobs didn't like iPad mini :apple:.

Consumers want cheaper iPad :p, that's why Apple makes iPad mini:rolleyes:.

If Apple matched big iPad price to mini iPad price at US$329 :eek:, do you think consumers would pick the mini one instead of the big one? :D

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Apple saw it coming hey, so they created a closed ecosystem iPad that is awesome to use and I love it, but you could say it is a glorified Kindle (which is also a closed system).

For anything to replace the PC, it would have to provide real world usability with access to the storage I want to use, the software I want to use, the games I want to play.

Tablets are fun and can be useful, but as a PC replacement not so.
:)

For a lot of people an iPad is all the computer they need, and care to deal with. They need email, and internet, Facebook, Twitter, maybe a word processor that's about it. Myself I'm hoping for a shiny new Mac Pro early next year. :) I wonder what the percentage of total population is who only need an iPad? I'm already starting to feel like the exception to the rule. :)

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
It was Android 7" tablet owners who told everyone what a great size it was.

Steve Jobs claimed a smaller screen was unusable and most of his fans repeated his nonsense.

Then Eddie Cue, Apple's SVP for Internet Experience, tried a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab and realized its users were right. After that, he worked to convince the Apple brass to bring out the iPad Mini.

View attachment 386446

I wanted a 7 in. iPad from the start. I thought Jobs was full of it. I think he missed the boat a number of times, but I give credit where credit is due. Some have only bad things to say about Jobs and Apple. He did bring Apple back from the dead and made it one of the most successful companies in history. Not a small task by any yardstick. Even if you're an Apple hater it's hard to dismiss that. Although I'm sure some will be more than happy to try. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.