Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnspade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Have run the "extended test" of the AHT on line. There were no faults found. However, I am having battery/charging issues.

Is AHT reliable or could I have a "bad" logic board despite the test passing? Thx.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
It is reliable, but sometimes batteries reach their end of life. It won't necessarily appear on the test, you just have to get a new one. I suggest bringing it to an Apple Store first so they can perhaps swap out the old one with a new one, just to make sure it really is the problem, before purchase.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
AHT has missed things before that my AASP later ended up finding. And I should mention that we've had quite a few battery / charging / power problems on the 2012 MBAs at work (we have 200).

Reset your SMC and make sure you've installed firmware updates.

Last edited:

dnspade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
AHT has missed things before that my AASP later ended up finding. And I should mention that we've had quite a few battery / charging / power problems on the 2012 MBAs at work.

Reset your SMC, make sure you've installed firmware updates. Failing that, off to AppleCare!

Excuse the ignorance, but how would I know if I'm current on the firmware updates? Have upgraded to Mountain Lion, current on the "software updates" that i review weekly, but have a feeling there may be something I'm missing here....

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Firmware updates come through the usual Software Update channel — or the App Store in ML. As long as you have none in the list, you're good.

Try resetting the SMC as described by Apple here. Failing that, head to an AASP or Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.