Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I'm disturbed by this. My 4th gen iPad, which I received recently, was made in week 37 (September). This is a long time ago (3 months!). Should I be concerned by this? I've seen other people post their iPad 4 info when they bought it in November and it was made sometime in October.

All info (minus serial number):
Model introduced: 2012
Request: If your iPad is made in Brazil then please let us know.
Production year: 2012
Production week: 37 (September)
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 4
Screen size: 9.7 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Why would this disturb you or concern you?

Because it was made over 3 months ago. I doesn't take that long to ship from China to Canada... Also, I'm worried that this is a returned model.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I'm disturbed by this. My 4th gen iPad, which I received recently, was made in week 37 (September). This is a long time ago (3 months!). Should I be concerned by this? I've seen other people post their iPad 4 info when they bought it in November and it was made sometime in October.

.... :rolleyes: I suppose they should have delivered it hot out of the oven just for you right?

Perhaps your mother did not hug you enough while you were a child? Maybe she didn't breast feed you? Perhaps you want to take out your anger in a mall or school full of children because of this? Who knows? Whatever the reason is...there is help. Please do not take out your anger on innocent civilians because of this.

Last edited:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Because it was made over 3 months ago. I doesn't take that long to ship from China to Canada... Also, I'm worried that this is a returned model.

Oh such nonsense! The things people come up with in their minds. If the damn thing was sealed in a box, it is not a returned model. Apple sales those as refurbs. REALLY?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I reread your post three times to see if I was missing something, but no, you are infact, complaining that your device was manufactured three months ago. You honestly think they make a product and instantly sell it? What do you think warehouses are for? They were making ipad 4's long before they even announced it, before we even had rumors on it, because if they didn't, they'd have an even worse supply problem.
inb4 "lol u guys r dumb i was trolling (i hope they don't realize how stupid I just sounded)"

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I reread your post three times to see if I was missing something, but no, you are infact, complaining that your device was manufactured three months ago. You honestly think they make a product and instantly sell it? What do you think warehouses are for? They were making ipad 4's long before they even announced it, before we even had rumors on it, because if they didn't, they'd have an even worse supply problem.
inb4 "lol u guys r dumb i was trolling (i hope they don't realize how stupid I just sounded)"

^That, or making up excuses for taking out his frustration on other people.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Wow, I feel like a complete idiot. I guess I was overreacting. Thanks for the (albeit insulting) responses everyone!

(BTW, I'm typing this on my 3-month "old" iPad.)

TreRep

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
it is very strange.

when apple ships from china the products are always out of the oven, they are always manufactured in the current week....

i think it is possible your is a returned unit and repackaged....i would exchange it in the 14 days window.....

i always buy from apple online store because i want products manufactured in the last weeks....

don't tell me i am crazy : for my experience products are always better after the first weeks... if you take an ipad 4 of 37th week and an ipad 4 of 49th week you can feel the difference if you are really paranoic (like me). i had both 40th (i've seen 3 of that week) week and 48th (i've seen 4 of that week) week of ipad 4 and the screens are really differents.... i think the first batches had a different manufacturer for example ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
it is very strange.

when apple ships from china the products are always out of the oven, they are always manufactured in the current week....

i think it is possible your is a returned unit and repackaged....i would exchange it in the 14 days window.....

i always buy from apple online store because i want products manufactured in the last weeks....

don't tell me i am crazy : for my experience products are always better after the first weeks... if you take an ipad 4 of 37th week and an ipad 4 of 49th week you can feel the difference if you are really paranoic (like me). i had both 40th (i've seen 3 of that week) week and 48th (i've seen 4 of that week) week of ipad 4 and the screens are really differents.... i think the first batches had a different manufacturer for example ;)

BS logic. The reason why the screens are different is because Apple from Day 1 has always used more than one supplier. It doesn't matter if it was made in week 37, 40 or 48. Apple used the same component manufacturers in each week. If you took a larger, more statistically significant sample, you'll find that the variety in screens is the same regardless of week.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Pathetic thread honest

Does it really matter when it was made as long it working 100%

I never checked mine to tell the truth when it was manufactured, maybe there is something to it but it escapes me what it might be UNLESS there was a bad batch perhaps I'd be concerned.

Working 100% for what I use it for is all that really mattered to me. Same with any piece of electronics I ever bought, never checked the build date.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
No big deal. Why would they sell it to you right after it's made? If you buy McDonald's food, it's probably from a couple of months ago. Be concerned if it's like my iPad where it came with a broken home button.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012

I understand where the OP is coming from. Many of us believe that the first initial batch are the ones where problems would be more likely.

I purposely avoided getting a iphone 5 for a couple months after reading all the initial stories. The first thing I did when getting mine was to check the production week number.

Its only natural that problems with scuffing or display issues will be silently fixed after a couple of weeks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.