Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rich2Putt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
MA
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

From the Manufacturer
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Has anyone purchased Windows 7 OEM to use in Bootcamp? If so, any issues in installation?

Thanks

IndyBob

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Indianapolis
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

From the Manufacturer
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Has anyone purchased Windows 7 OEM to use in Bootcamp? If so, any issues in installation?

Thanks

Yes, I have purchased 2 of them so far. No problem at all. Just remember the Windows 7 Builder Channel OS is married to the system board and cannot be used on another machine once it is activated.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, I have purchased 2 of them so far. No problem at all. Just remember the Windows 7 Builder Channel OS is married to the system board and cannot be used on another machine once it is activated.

Two questions:

What level of bloatware does the OEM version have compared to regular retail version?

Under what circumstances is it actually "legal" to use OEM software like this or is the only issue that it includes no customer support from MS?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Two questions:

What level of bloatware does the OEM version have compared to regular retail version?
Only bloatware on the disc is Windows… just kidding. All it has is the OS, same as you'd find on a retail disc (the manufacturer is the one who images the bloatware onto the machine).

Under what circumstances is it actually "legal" to use OEM software like this or is the only issue that it includes no customer support from MS?
OEM is meant to be installed on 'new' machines. It is also, as stated above, tied to the first machine it is installed on; you can reinstall it, just not on other machines like the retail license allows.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
OEM is meant to be installed on 'new' machines. It is also, as stated above, tied to the first machine it is installed on; you can reinstall it, just not on other machines like the retail license allows.

Cool, I get that its "meant" to be installed only on new machines (by a manufacturer of computers) but being that I am not a manufacturer, nor is the OP, is it actually illegal or just simply unsupported by MS?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Cool, I get that its "meant" to be installed only on new machines (by a manufacturer of computers) but being that I am not a manufacturer, nor is the OP, is it actually illegal or just simply unsupported by MS?
It's perfectly fine for a consumer, like you and the OP, to purchase and install it on a 'new' machine. The worst Microsoft could do to you if they decided that you're breaking the EULA/ToS is void your activation - though I've never heard of that happening to anyone for using an OEM license on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.