Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Cleaned my case yesterday and my iPhone and after holding it in my hand without a case it feels so damn thin and fragile I don't know whether to frame it or use it lol.
Does anyone else feel like saying enough already, it's thin enough that people start to complain about it bending while in their back pockets? They should focus on a better battery life instead of making in thinner. If it gets any more thinner in the near future Apple will ship an empty box with a magnifying glass and say "look harder" it's there. Don't get me wrong the battery and performance is stunning for such a thin device but making it thinner than it already is...I don't know...I don't want a wind gust to bend my iPhone 10 which will be 1mm thick...

Back in the 90's the trend was to go smaller and smaller then Android started making those huge devices that resemble a tablet (Galaxy Note 2).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is fixated with thinness for some reason. Most of the time it works, but with the iPhone 5, I'd say its pushing the envelope. For the iMac, it makes no sense and shows imo that they went to far in trying to get it even thinner

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Definitely think the 5 is at the verge of where thinness should stop. Just because parts are getting smaller doesn't mean everything else should too. Focus on getting more power into it and better battery life now.

While the iMac looks cool from certain angles, I have the same thought process. If you cram all of that technology into that tiny space, why not try putting even more into what you had before and making a truly powerful all in one machine. I know they won't do it for appearance reasons partly, but start making the iMac more user customizable like the Mac mini. Give the user the ability to put a bit more powerful graphics cards into it if they want to. I really think if they could get the iMac into a semi customizable format, they could become a hit with gamers.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Cleaned my case yesterday and my iPhone and after holding it in my hand without a case it feels so damn thin and fragile I don't know whether to frame it or use it lol.
Does anyone else feel like saying enough already, it's thin enough that people start to complain about it bending while in their back pockets? They should focus on a better battery life instead of making in thinner. If it gets any more thinner in the near future Apple will ship an empty box with a magnifying glass and say "look harder" it's there. Don't get me wrong the battery and performance is stunning for such a thin device but making it thinner than it already is...I don't know...I don't want a wind gust to bend my iPhone 10 which will be 1mm thick...

Back in the 90's the trend was to go smaller and smaller then Android started making those huge devices that resemble a tablet (Galaxy Note 2).

The iPhone 5 is actually pretty thick compared to the new flagship Android 5 inch 1080p phones being announced in China.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Apple is fixated with thinness for some reason. Most of the time it works, but with the iPhone 5, I'd say its pushing the envelope. For the iMac, it makes no sense and shows imo that they went to far in trying to get it even thinner

iMac, new one is thin! I've tried bending my Macbook Air with just my thumb and index finger and it bent but it seemed pretty damn flexible. No damage whatsoever.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I would like it if it got thinner. I put otterboxes on my phones, so they end up getting a bit (lot) thicker. The thinner the phone, the thinner the case, the better.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I am going to reply this obliquely. When I chose the 4s I thought the extra weight and thickness would bother me. It has not.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I think it's thin enough. In fact, it feels even better to me with a UAG case on it, which makes it a little thicker and easier to grip.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
If they made the iPhone 5 as thick as the 3GS and used all that extra space only for battery or didn't worry about making it thicker in order to make the battery easily replaceable, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I'd say too thin. I carried it for a couple of months and couldn't get used to it. I also prefer my phone has a little more weight to it.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
For me it's a perfect size. I'm still getting used how tall it's gotten though. Fits perfectly in my pocket though, so I'm happy.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Too thin? Absolutely not. I love the weight and thinness of the iPhone 5, now when I hold the 4S it just doesn't feel right. And I use my phone without a case to not take away from its awesomeness

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Thought the iPhone 4 was thin enough.

Now that I've gotten used to the iPhone 5... when I pick up a 4/4S they feel clunky and old.

So I say, thin enough for now, until the next thinner one comes along :)

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Honestly wouldn't mind if it got even thinner and lighter, as someone who uses the phone in awkward positions in bed for hours on end, every gram less means less strain on my thumb and wrist. In fact, the superior lightness is the chief reason I started using my iPhone for the web browsing and reading I used to do on my iPad, to the extent that the iPad would just sit on my bedside table all the time while I was on my iPhone. That's just me though.
Wouldn't mind if eventually, phones were essentially just a piece of bendy glass that could be strapped around the wrist for transport, and "erected" for regular browsing use. :cool:

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
On my old four and my new five I tend to switch between two cases but I usually keep my griffin survivor case on for most of the duration of the two years or however long I have it.. It's heavier and it feels better in my hands. With the thin cases on it always feels like its going to break.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Honestly wouldn't mind if it got even thinner and lighter, as someone who uses the phone in awkward positions in bed for hours on end, every gram less means less strain on my thumb and wrist. In fact, the superior lightness is the chief reason I started using my iPhone for the web browsing and reading I used to do on my iPad, to the extent that the iPad would just sit on my bedside table all the time while I was on my iPhone. That's just me though.
Wouldn't mind if eventually, phones were essentially just a piece of bendy glass that could be strapped around the wrist for transport, and "erected" for regular browsing use. :cool:

I see a new product developing: a super light weight case with an inflatable back. Fill it with helium and make the phone lighter ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.