Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesW.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Hi guys, I just downloaded the student version of cinema4d. I read the license and I found something what I don't know something about. There's a point which says that the usage of this application is only for non commercial things. So now my question: when I create a cool animation and want to upload this to YouTube and earn money with google Adsense in my video. Is this commercial or no?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hi guys, I just downloaded the student version of cinema4d. I read the license and I found something what I don't know something about. There's a point which says that the usage of this application is only for non commercial things. So now my question: when I create a cool animation and want to upload this to YouTube and earn money with google Adsense in my video. Is this commercial or no?

Yes. If you are using the product to make money, it qualifies as commercial use. This almost always is the limitation with Academic versions.

JamesW.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Yes. If you are using the product to make money, it qualifies as commercial use. This almost always is the limitation with Academic versions.

But there are so many Cinema4d animations on YouTube. And with this videos I will earn 100$ or less. It's not very much.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
But there are so many Cinema4d animations on YouTube. And with this videos I will earn 100$ or less. It's not very much.

But it still is a commercial use. If you want to make money with their products, you'll have to pay more for their products.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Well, it's tricky I suppose, and they are fairly unlikely to come looking, although I'd be surprised if they didn't have an app that trawled youtube looking for obvious ones and claimed the ad revenue. You can be sure, though, that if you upload the next Gangnam Style they will sue your ass off...

JamesW.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Ok but I'm a student and the original version of cinema 4d costs 3500$ and this is too much. So I downloaded the student edition. Now when I upload my animations to YouTube, I will earn not so much money - maybe 30$ per month. I wouldn't pay up for them. Well, another question about this topic. Can I upload my animations to my website or is this commercial usage, too. On my website there aren't any ads or something which I earn money with. That should be no problem, shouldn't it?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.