Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Get with the program;

1. They are not errors, they are defects.
2. People who claim their device had no errors simply do not have the balls to both look for them and then do something about it.

Wow, having the balls to look for defects. What a concept.

----------

Is this problem unique to just iPad minis? Or all iPads in general?

The problem is unique to people who are super-anal

----------

"Where every detail is finely crafted and made just exquisite.
And the process by which it's manufactured and the level of tolerances unseen in our industry" - Phil Schiller (iPad mini event)

"Absolutely remarkable levels of fit and finish" ... Jony Ive (iPad mini video)

Just saying....

No mention of absolutely flawless anywhere in there. Just sayin'

----------

Why'd you put quotation marks around the world problem? I suppose we should all look forward to unboxing tablets with dust trapped underneath the screen, then?

Yes, I know I do.

----------

I don't know. Maybe you could enlighten me with how may are effective?
Are 50% effective? Please elaborate?

See, two can play that game.

I think they're all effective.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ive seen numerous people all over the net report about defects from forums to tech blogs. To me that indicates theres some kind of quality control issue.

As I said earlier, only apple have the official figures as to how many defective products they released.

Oh my goodness! If you've seen "numerous people all over the net," then you must be right! :eek: Surely the complainers on those forums and tech blogs must represent the entire general population of iPad users!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Every time I purchase an iPad/ iPhone/ iPod from Apple I purchase two and return one. When I used to purchase one, it would inevitably have a screen defect (be it dust or a dead pixel). Since buying two, I seem to have had better luck, with one always being acceptable, if not perfect, and one having a defect. Only once have I ordered two (iPad 2s) and both came with defects.

I have also had much better luck with refurb units than those that are new. I have to say, out of the iPod Touches and iPads I've purchased, at least half have had noticeable dust under the glass... which is a deal breaker for me. There is a dust problem, but then again, I guess they would have to be manufactured in a vacuum to avoid it all together! That said, no one should have to live with dust under his device's screen if it bothers him. Return it until you find one acceptable or buy something else.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I can relate to the OP. I have 9 ex-wives. Each one had a defect. I feel your pain.

Most golf club drivers I try are defective. Don't go 300 yards dead straight.

An issue with 9 iPads is hard to believe. I'm fairly new here and have backdated threads to some extent and don't see numerous defects/problem posts. And why continuously would one buy then from the same resource after awhile?

Maybe iPhones are different. I don't have a need to look at that forum.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Oh my goodness! If you've seen "numerous people all over the net," then you must be right! :eek: Surely the complainers on those forums and tech blogs must represent the entire general population of iPad users!

Pass. You cant seem to have an educated discussion with some people on here.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Pass. You cant seem to have an educated discussion with some people on here.

Oh I'm sorry, is that what you were trying to have? I didn't know making up information and slamming other posters was considered an "educated discussion." Clearly I have many things to learn from someone as smart as you. :rolleyes:

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Curious if you got each from the same resource. Unless you had no chioce, why not try elsewhere.

If we did a poll with how many a person had to return to get one they were satisfied with, you easily would have the greatest amount.

If these were brand spanking new, the quality control seems outright terrible to get this many with dust, tint, etc with this batch.

No I bought the first one from one store, brought it to an apple reseller to get it repaired, then brought another one at the same store, but after two faulty iPads they gave me my money back but didn't want me to buy another one cause they didn't want to keep exchanging them, then went to another store where I got this one after 2 faulty iPads.

----------

Is this problem unique to just iPad minis? Or all iPads in general?

I've heard reports about normal iPads too. But I think the demand on the minis is so high maybe they had to lessen the quality check to get as many as possible out in time or something? I dunno.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Just got a white 64GB WiFi + 3G, no nicks, scuffs or any dust on the display, no bad pixels. Everything ok :)

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
My iPad mini was perfect out of the box. No one I know has had an issue with their iPad mini (or regular). The OP must have had really terrible luck to get 9 defective ones in a row (or he's exaggerating, which is more likely).

And by the way, a handful of defective units out of millions sold is normal for any product, its not a quality control issue.

Well I wish I was exaggerating.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Get with the program;

1. They are not errors, they are defects.
2. People who claim their device had no errors simply do not have the balls to both look for them and then do something about it.

Lol balls???? Ummm I have better things to do with my time and money, and TIME then parade up and down and whine like a little girl to apple. Sorry bro. Men wearing panties is abnormal behavior.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Dude, if you don't know how many are actually defective, your argument has no ground to stand on. How can you say there's an issue with quality control if you don't know whether there's a problem with 1 in 1000 or 999 in 1000?

Yeah but you can't prove how many are not defective so just like him you don't have any ground to stand on. That's what he's trying say.

You know that saying right?
"The absence of evidence, isn't the evidence of absence."

----------

I can relate to the OP. I have 9 ex-wives. Each one had a defect. I feel your pain.

Haha atleast there's guys like you. Keeps the thread from being only hate.

----------

Lol balls???? Ummm I have better things to do with my time and money, and TIME then parade up and down and whine like a little girl to apple. Sorry bro. Men wearing panties is abnormal behavior.

Yeah man me too, I have better things to do then justify my 430 dollars.

----------

Oh and you guys probably are not going to believe me cause I didn't mention this earlier, but my Fourth device also had scratches. I didn't mention this cause the only reason they took it back was because of the dust under the screen. This was because I only noticed the dust and scratches when I was at home again so they couldn't verify if the scratches were really there in the first place or made by me.

Anyway I might be able to find some of the papers they gave me, cause when an iPad gets repaired they give a paper where it says what they did with the iPad etc etc.

Last edited:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
My 16GB white iPad mini came in this afternoon, and no dust under the screen, dead pixels, knicks, or anything of the sort. I'm stoked.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Well yeah especially if others are doing this crazy stuff that the original poster is. Jeez!

Okay, I dare you not to return your ipad if you have dust under it from day one.

----------

My 16GB white iPad mini came in this afternoon, and no dust under the screen, dead pixels, knicks, or anything of the sort. I'm stoked.

Good for you. I'm serious. As I said maybe the Netherlands just fell victim of a bad line. I dunno. Strange thing is, I have a guy in the same class as me, who also has an iPad mini, brought from the same store as I did, but his is just fine. I had a look at it myself. I dunno if there's maybe something on it that I haven't seen yet, but I used it for several minutes and didn't see anything. So maybe I'm just terribly unlucky. I dunno.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Surely someone else must have bought one from the same places you did. I know there has been threads with folks having to return iPads. I remember the "should I give up" thread when someone tried six already. Without pics or seeing for ourselves, replies will be more negative than positive because these cases are very very unusual. No one would buy iPads if this constantly happens and we all know how apple has done with sales.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Surely someone else must have bought one from the same places you did. I know there has been threads with folks having to return iPads. I remember the "should I give up" thread when someone tried six already. Without pics or seeing for ourselves, replies will be more negative than positive because these cases are very very unusual. No one would buy iPads if this constantly happens and we all know how apple has done with sales.

Yeah I said that in my last post already.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah but you can't prove how many are not defective so just like him you don't have any ground to stand on. That's what he's trying say.

You know that saying right?
"The absence of evidence, isn't the evidence of absence."
Okay, how about this. The other guy (DaveUK) wanted to have an educated discussion, but he didn't back up any of his points with proof of anything. So rather than arguing for the sake of argument, lets try to actually make a point, and in the end, if we agree to disagree, then so be it.

You're right, I may not be able to prove exactly how many units are not defective, but I can tell you that Apple sold 3 million iPad minis during the first weekend alone (Link and Link) and projected minimum of 8 million shipments during Q4 2012, and an additional 13 million in Q1 2013 (Link). That's a lot of iPad minis sold in the last 2 months. If there was widespread quality control failure (beyond the acceptable amount of defective units) as you guys are trying to indicate, it would certainly have made headlines, just like map-gate, scratch-gate, antenna-gate, whatever-other-gate has ever come up. I check MacRumors daily, and I have yet to hear of dust-gate. I'm not saying the issues you describe don't exist, and I'm not calling you a liar. You had a bad run of luck, and that's unfortunate. But I'm saying these issues are just not as prevalent as you and the other posters above claim them to be.

So yeah, I think I do have some ground to stand on. Your turn.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, how about this. The other guy (DaveUK) wanted to have an educated discussion, but he didn't back up any of his points with proof of anything. So rather than arguing for the sake of argument, lets try to actually make a point, and in the end, if we agree to disagree, then so be it.

You're right, I may not be able to prove exactly how many units are not defective, but I can tell you that Apple sold 3 million iPad minis during the first weekend alone (Link and Link) and projected minimum of 8 million shipments during Q4 2012, and an additional 13 million in Q1 2013 (Link). That's a lot of iPad minis sold in the last 2 months. If there was widespread quality control failure (beyond the acceptable amount of defective units) as you guys are trying to indicate, it would certainly have made headlines, just like map-gate, scratch-gate, antenna-gate, whatever-other-gate has ever come up. I check MacRumors daily, and I have yet to hear of dust-gate. I'm not saying the issues you describe don't exist, and I'm not calling you a liar. You had a bad run of luck, and that's unfortunate. But I'm saying these issues are just not as prevalent as you and the other posters above claim them to be.

So yeah, I think I do have some ground to stand on. Your turn.

I totally agree with you. I never tried to claim there is a widespread quality fail. I just said that I have had a lot of issues and that it wouldn't surprise me if many other iPads would suffer from this. 9 defective units might indicate a quality check fail on a certain batch or something but that I cannot know. I do know however that 8 iPads with dust and 1 with a dead pixel in one town is probably around 10% of iPads currently in stock at our big multimedia stores, which is a pretty high number of defective units if you ask me.
I do however fully understand that this might not be persistent throughout the whole world. I just wanted to warn people that some people that they might just have some bad luck.

Last edited:

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
this thread made me LOL and realize how ridiculous some consumers are, are you any chance american? i understand the dead pixel but the dust? the dust has to be pretty big for it to be returned :D:D

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
My week 51 iPad mini has a very very small scratch on / under the camera lens cover and a "loose" Lightning port (charges fine and stays in, but cable is wobbly). (I'm very OCD.)

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I've been buying apple products for 15 years.

Never EVER had one single defect and I'm a picky bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.