Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Kendo
macrumors 6502a

The secret to Apple products is withstanding the next refresh cycle.

Now I know why so many people hold onto iPad 1 and iPad 2. I have the 3rd generation and though it was mighty tempting to get the 4th gen, I held off. Now that I'm reading news on the 5th gen coming out in March, I no longer have the mentality of needing the latest. Rather, I wanna see how long I can keep my 3rd gen going.

I think that is the reason why there are so many iPad 2 owners. It is far more "fun" seeing how long you can save money and push your older hardware for as long as possible and get the most out of it once you get past the hardship of withstanding that first refresh.
Kendo is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:58 AM   #2
mully1121
macrumors member

Heck, I'm still using my iPad 1. My mentality tends towards "how long can I keep it running and useful." I'll upgrade at some point but right now my iPad 1 still does what I need/want it to do. I kind've view it as a challenge (this is more true with computers, what can I do/tweak to keep it running?)
mully1121 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

I don't see a BIG difference with the display between the 2nd gen and the mini. If one is comfortable enough with its form factor, I can see why they didn't go for the mini if they didn't go for the 3 and 4 which upgraded the processor and screen.

Good for you not spending the money. Like what you have!

Nice post, OP.
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
dsa1971
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I don't see a BIG difference with the display between the 2nd gen and the mini. If one is comfortable enough with its form factor, I can see why they didn't go for the mini if they didn't go for the 3 and 4 which upgraded the processor and screen.

Good for you not spending the money. Like what you have!

Nice post, OP.
My understanding is that the mini display is 2nd gen display just smaller form factor so should only be slight differences.
dsa1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:13 PM   #5
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

This is no secret

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully1121 View Post
Heck, I'm still using my iPad 1. My mentality tends towards "how long can I keep it running and useful." I'll upgrade at some point but right now my iPad 1 still does what I need/want it to do. I kind've view it as a challenge (this is more true with computers, what can I do/tweak to keep it running?)
I thought the same thing, but the iPad 1 will not run iOS 6, and for an Apple product that is 2 years old, I figured that it was time to move ahead.

Sold it for $250 cash not on eBay, and I am getting the Mini when it has Retina in June, or whenever, the Mini for me is much better and fits my needs more than a full size.

I just figured if the iPhone 3GS which was sold in 2009 can run iOS 6 the iPad sold in 4-2010 should have but Apple decided for some reason not to test it, so I saw the writing on the wall for me.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

I think we all know the reason. Hold back features will push people to upgrade sooner. I have an iPad 2 and iPad 4 in the house (1 for my wife and the other for the daughter). will I be buying the 5th Gen? No way. I'll hang on to the 2 until either it doesn't do what I need it to or the newer one does something so much better (not talking about a minor speed bump). Most likely there will be some new iOS feature that apple decide won't work on the iPad 2. If I decide I need that feature I may upgrade, but will probably hold off.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:11 PM   #8
mully1121
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
I thought the same thing, but the iPad 1 will not run iOS 6, and for an Apple product that is 2 years old, I figured that it was time to move ahead.
Yeah, I considered selling it too, but honestly for what I use it for, its more than adequate. And I haven't upgraded my phone to iOS 6 yet either (its jailbroken and I like my tweaks more than I like the new features in 6). I will reach a point when the features in the new iPad/iOS are more compelling than what I have, I just haven't gotten there yet.
mully1121 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:23 PM   #9
irDigital0l

iPad 1 still is great.

Hey if it works, why upgrade every year?
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:13 PM   #10
lokster
macrumors 6502

My take on this is upgrade every other generation

the ipad 1 and the ipad 3 difference is night and day. anyone using an ipad 1 is missing out on 4x the display 4x the RAM, a front and rear camera and a bigger and better processor and battery.

its a huge difference. ive had an ipad 1 and a 2 and now a 3 but i cant imagine having an ipad 1 again after using the ipad 3
iPod Nano 6th Gen 8Gb + LunaTik Strap
lokster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:19 PM   #11
hnic247
macrumors newbie

Why not have the latest which usually does something just a little better that's how I think about. Because I want to be part of the conversation not out of the loop feel me
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:25 PM   #12
roccobladr
macrumors regular

I still have a bargain laptop from 2004 that runs fine...slow but can still load web pages.

I also have an iPod mini that barely holds a charge without an adapter but still gets the job done..

That being said, I think these products have a lot longer lifespan than people realize, and I assume that is why they retain their value. If you spend time living your life and using the products for what they are, instead of getting caught up on Internet forum rumors, you might get some good mileage out of these things.

Just sayin'
roccobladr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:26 PM   #13
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

It is not a secret and is also known as not pissing away money.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:32 PM   #14
linds15
macrumors 6502a

i still have my ipad2, i find for what i primarily use it for, streaming video to ATV and reading the news/browsing for short periods, the 3/4 add nothing for me. also, with the 2 i can jailbreak and i use location spoofer which is highly useful for me
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:53 AM   #15
Q-Dog
macrumors regular

The "secret" to Apple products is to buy what you need, when you need it.

(Posting this from my iPad 1)
Q-Dog is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So I suppose that's the secret of these Android handset makers that release a new phone every other week?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:11 AM   #17
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
It is not a secret and is also known as not pissing away money.
Agreed. Just because Apple or somebody else releases a new product doesn't mean you have to buy it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:40 AM   #18
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Withstanding the cycle is more easily done with not looking at forums or tech news. If what you have continues to work for what you want and do, that suffices.

It's like cars. You can get around and most have enough features now without having to spend lots more on the next model up in the chain.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:12 AM   #19
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully1121 View Post
But.. no FaceTime
yinz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:01 PM   #20
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
But.. no FaceTime
Honestly I never even use FaceTime on my iPhone 4. Plus there's still no group chat which sucks. Maybe if iOS 7 gets it, then FaceTime would actually be good.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #21
lancia832
macrumors member

Re upgrading

Until they find a jailbreak for ios 6 , thank you ! Apple , but no ! thank you ! , upgrading , i will keep my ipad 3 jailbroken on ios 5.1.1 till it croaks ,and even then i will try to fix it if its possible , its the perfect machine for what im doing daily with it , dont need any extra power , and tiny speck increases, and any more thinnes , please! Apple stop it with the thinnes , i sold my iphone 5 for that , one of the reasons, and kept my jailbroken iphone 4s.
lancia832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:49 PM   #22
propita
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iPad 1 still is great.

Hey if it works, why upgrade every year?
We were given an iPad 1 as a thank you, or should I say, my husband was given one. Which I pretty quickly confiscated. Honestly, he didn't use it much and doesn't like doing any support of any of our tech--he decides what to get and then turns the work over to me. He won't even bother loading in a new movie; he claims he doesn't know how.

Anyway, when I got the iPad mini, which fits my smaller hands better, I wiped the iPad 1 (too much "other" space) and reloaded it only with what he wanted/needed. It's his again. He even renamed it. It's mostly empty, though. His email, Pages and a dozen other apps, a few movies, and about 1000 pics. That's about it. Plenty of room on it. He doesn't need anything else. He's got an imac and macbook if he wants to really do something. Which is rare.
propita is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:32 PM   #23
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia832 View Post
Apple stop it with the thinnes , i sold my iphone 5 for that , one of the reasons, and kept my jailbroken iphone 4s.
You knew the iPhone 5 was thinner than the iPhone 4/S prior to buying the iPhone 5 then sold your iPhone 5 because it was thinner than your iPhone 4/S.

Just WOW
brand is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:57 PM   #24
lancia832
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
You knew the iPhone 5 was thinner than the iPhone 4/S prior to buying the iPhone 5 then sold your iPhone 5 because it was thinner than your iPhone 4/S.

Just WOW
I just had to try it ,for two weeks that was it ,the thinnes being one of the reasons ,it felt to light ,and not well made because of that ,and i knew it was thinner ,but had to try it didnt like it ,and the main reason was the headphone on the bottom ,battery life and some others ,i opened a tread about my reasons ,but i know im just crazy like that , ill wait to upgrade when they move back the headphone jack if ever .
lancia832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:03 PM   #25
smooth
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
I was actually starting to think I was in a very small minority of people, specifically Apple users, who did not upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. It seems like the majority of peeps on here, upgrade every refresh or every other. I have to remember the Apple users that I know personally. No one I know who has an iPad has ever owned more than one version. And only 1 iPhone owner has ever owned more than 2 versions.
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad