Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Perhaps you absolutely don't.
My statement is not broad or misleading. I find it silly when people are wrong about something they have probably never studied, and stating that what I said is "Not even close." is just ridiculous. You probably have no idea what a 6061 is, what properties it has, the applications that benefit from its use. Furthermore, you probably have no idea what a T6 does to most alloys. Or even what it is. You can read about precipitated alloys in any technical book.

Tempering efficiently improves an alloy's toughness, while reducing its hardness.

How does this pertain to the subject? The iPhones body, made from 6061? In this context(how the use of T6 Aluminum would have help lessen the issues that are arising with the phone bending) your statement is misleading.

Yes, I a sure you find it silly. Many people project onto others what they themselves lack, it's quite common. :rolleyes:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Tempering efficiently improves an alloy's toughness, while reducing its hardness.

How does this pertain to the subject? The iPhones body, made from 6061? In this context your statement is misleading.

I simply quoted a correct statement about tempering. You quoted me, saying "Not even close.". :rolleyes:
My statement is not misleading, as it refers to what tempering does. Heat treatments can, and do, have different effects on differerent groups of materials.
How does any of your posts pertain to the subject, anyways?

Yes, I a sure you find it silly. Many people project onto others what they themselves lack, it's quite common. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure you know nothing about tempering, T6, the 6061 alloy. And I bet you don't have a single technical book about anything that regards this area. It's quite silly that you don't know the reason behind the data you have reported, that's for sure. ;)

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I simply quoted a correct statement about tempering. You quoted me, saying "Not even close.". :rolleyes:
My statement is not misleading, as it refers to what tempering does. Heat treatments can, and do, have different effects on differerent groups of materials.
How does any of your posts pertain to the subject, anyways?

I'm pretty sure you know nothing about tempering, T6, the 6061 alloy. And I bet you don't have a single technical book about anything that regards this area. It's quite silly that you don't know the reason behind the data you have reported, that's for sure. ;)

You really are asking how tempered AI vs non-tempered pertains to the subject of bent iPhones? I can't help you if that is the case.

Pounding your chest of the ownership of some books is not only a waste of time but it's screams neediness. If you are as versed as you claim to be, again, you wouldn't be stating broad generic terms from a book you may have pulled from your grandfathers library that are not specific to the alloy in question. That is a clear sign you do not know what you are talking about. :eek:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
You really are asking how tempered AI vs non-tempered pertains to the subject of bent iPhones? I can't help you if that is the case.

Pounding your chest of the ownership of some books is not only a waste of time but it's screams neediness. If you are as versed as you claim to be, again, you wouldn't be stating broad generic terms from a book you may have pulled from your grandfathers library that are not specific to the alloy in question. That is a clear sign you do not know what you are talking about. :eek:

sit down. you lose

http://www.asminternational.org/pdf/spotlights/tempering.pdf

read first paragraph

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009

I'm sorry, what are the "broad generic terms" that I would be taking "from a book you may have pulled from your grandfathers library that are not specific to the alloy in question"?
Also, you seem to consider a "clear sign" something you're not really explaining. Care to?
The fact that you don't have a single technical book about heat treatments, and about aluminium alloys, tells a lot about your knowledge on the matter.
Also, can you explain, in as much detail as possible, how a T6 affects the 6061, and why the term "tempering" isn't technically acceptable in that case? (Hint: because it's not tempering at all. You can work on this, just in case you missed how wrong you are about it.)
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm also still waiting on the confirmation from apple on the use of 6061 non-tempered aluminum in its products. It's been asked by many people towards many different people and not a single response has been provided to any of us.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm also still waiting on the confirmation from apple on the use of 6061 non-tempered aluminum in its products. It's been asked by many people towards many different people and not a single response has been provided to any of us.
Knowing how secretive Apple is, I wonder if the specifics will ever be revealed. Given how some like to sensationalize things I'd be curious to know how many iPhone 5's are actually bent. Of those, how many due to abuse ? One things for sure, if it's anything like Antennagate, the next iPhone will really be strong. Apple will boast about it, and buyers will be assured that Apples once solid durability record will be restored.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

Good luck with that.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
All I meant was that I don't want to hear the argument about the type of metal until some one digs up the proof.

the proof is in the fact how easily it bends....I purposely bent one at an apple store just to see...it took quite a bit of pressure, but it still bent with my bare hands right at the volume rocker....

it may be strong everywhere else, but there is an inherent weakness by the volume rocker

don't believe me? go to an apple store and see for yourself..just don't get caught!

----------

I bet anyone that when the 5s comes out, they will have done something about the weakness by the volume rocker...whether it is redesigning it, or reinforcing it internally somehow.....but they will never admit to it

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
the proof is in the fact how easily it bends....I purposely bent one at an apple store just to see...it took quite a bit of pressure, but it still bent with my bare hands right at the volume rocker....

it may be strong everywhere else, but there is an inherent weakness by the volume rocker

don't believe me? go to an apple store and see for yourself..just don't get caught!

----------

I bet anyone that when the 5s comes out, they will have done something about the weakness by the volume rocker...whether it is redesigning it, or reinforcing it internally somehow.....but they will never admit to it

Why the heck would you bend an in store display? You just destroyed company property.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
oh boo hoo:D

Seriously? Destroy your own property if you're going to conduct experiments. There's a reason why businesses have a "you break it you buy it" policy. How would you feel if I came into your place of work and just started breaking stuff? That is the most inconsiderate thing I've heard of someone doing to prove a point. It still doesn't prove the type of metal that used so your experiment still doesn't prove anything. Plus without pictures or video we don't even know if you're telling the truth.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Seriously? Destroy your own property if you're going to conduct experiments. There's a reason why businesses have a "you break it you buy it" policy. How would you feel if I came into your place of work and just started breaking stuff? That is the most inconsiderate thing I've heard of someone doing to prove a point. It still doesn't prove the type of metal that used so your experiment still doesn't prove anything. Plus without pictures or video we don't even know if you're telling the truth.

"cry me a river", as justin timberlake once said

Classy.

Vandalism is moronic

so are some opinions on this thread....;)

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

Agree 100%. Upbringing deficiencies I imagine.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

Did you damage their wooden table in the process as well?

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Anyone bend their iPhone 5? Some how my phone bent by approx 10 degrees starting at the volume buttons.

Seriously? What are you complaining about? This is an amazingly wonderful new iPhone feature and they've patented it. The iPhone automatically molds itself to the contours of your body resulting in never before seen levels of ergonomics and comfort. It's like magic! :D

Ps. That's not a crack, that's a thermal vent which allows the iPhone to remain cool at all times...

robmasta47

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Gym

So I've had my iPhone 5 for about a month and its been great. Yesterday I brought my phone with me to the gym in my backpack and had it under the bench press that I was using. Somehow a 35lb plate fell off one of the rods and landed on the center right of the phone. At first I didn't see the bend but I did notice a few pink dots on my screen and was worried that something magnetic might have damaged the screen. Then I noticed the bend when I looked at the side of my phone. It has a slim belkin case on it and the screen didn't crack just a bend in the back aluminum piece and I think the glass on the top right is starting to protrude out of the aluminum side. I have verizon insurance so I can pay for a replacement.

My question is if the Asurion/Verizon replacement will be a crappy refurb like I've received for other phone models or if its going to be virtually the same thing.

qiUip

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
I came to this thread as my iPhone 5 also bent and I am unsure how it happened, I definitely did not drop it, but it is normally in my front pocket and I could of leaned forward over some object like a desk or something of the sorts without noticing. I would expect any high quality product (or one that claims to be so) to be more durable than this, but I'm not going to go on a rant. It dose seem like there's quite a number of these case though, and with a 23 months still to go on my contract, it's rather annoying. Still phone is useable and I could live with it, but this dose seem to be a slight design flaw having such a weakness.

Anyway, the reason for me posting...

Sorry to bring this up again... I'm an engineer in the field of Aeronutics and don't have much knowledge in this area at all, and don't pretend to either.

I was quite interested by the discussion and just tried to make sense of this whole thing. What really really confuses me is, you provided a link with NO reference to 6061 alloy or the T6 process (it is a process I assume?) AND the second paragraph of your link states:

"Under certain conditions. hardness may remain unaffected by tempering or may even be increased as a result of it. For example, tempering a hardened steel at very low tempering temperatures may cause no change in hardness but may achieve a desired increase in yield strength. Also, those allo) steels that contain one or more of the carhide-forming elements (chromium. molybdenum. vanadium. and tungsten) are capable of secon- dq hardening: that is. they ma) become somewhat harder as a result of tempering." (sorry for spelling errors, copy/paste from scans isn't that great yet... check the link if it's unclear)

I can not see how what you provided gave ANY proof one way or another... I'm not saying you are wrong, or right, just that well, telling someone they lost by providing false facts doesn't really strengthen your point either.

I will now have to go and spend some time researching this myself (in the literature that is) as it's seriously bugging me. :D

anhn27

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
got the same problem recently

copy and paste from other post just in case some find it useful:

we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.