Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Hello,

I have recently purchased an iPad 4. it is on it's way to me. My first ever iOS device. And I am after getting a case for this. One that covers the front and the back.

What I am after with an iPad case is sturdy, will last a while and not break down or warp in a few months, has nice artwork on the front, fits the iPad in snugly and has a stiff nice spine. A little added weight is not that much of an issue as I don't plan to hold it in the air for long periods of time. Hence the want for a back cover to prevent back scratches.

Does not have to be a case with wood in it as long as it's sturdy and looks good.

I have done some research on this and this is what I have found:

Apple smart case
I looked at these and the standard one felt like recycled rubber tyres to me. And the edges felt a little sharp. Sure it's a good case but just not for me. The leather one has a might rub off warning, so that's a no go too. A little sad as I did want an official Apple case but looks like this is not the one for me.

Dodocase
I had been looking at these thanks to a recommendation I was given and I really like these cases. This one in particular:
http://www.dodocase.com/products/dreamy-clouds-dodocase-for-ipad-cases
I have watched a few dodocase reviews and have noticed that the reviewers are saying that the iPad does not fit as snugly as they had hoped. Is this true? And will the wood warp much over time?

Portenzo
I am not a fan of any of the cover designs here. I really don't want a plain cover case if I can help it. If I have to I will not that's not my aim. Also I have seen reviews where the spines were shown not to be that sturdy. But on the plus they say the iPad is held in really well and can't fall out. This is a plus. So overall a very good case but not so perfect. And also has the wood warping over time issue as the dodocase has. I'm ok with a in part wooden case, if the wood warping is not an issue as I really don't want to be buying multiple cases cause of this.

I also had a look here
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/apple/3345046/best-cases-covers-for-new-ipad/
For some ipad cases. Sure not for the iPad 4. But I looked at the websites of cases that looked nice to see if they had any iPad 4 compatible ones.

I could not seem to find any others that interested me. Maybe someone here could be kind enough to recommend me an iPad 4 case.

Thank you in advance. As I am really stumped on what is the best iPad 4 case for me.

Last edited:

macbarbie13

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,

I have recently purchased an iPad 4. it is on it's way to me. My first ever iOS device. And I am after getting a case for this. One that covers the front and the back.

What I am after with an iPad case is sturdy, will last a while and not break down or warp in a few months, has nice artwork on the front, fits the iPad in snugly and has a stiff nice spine. A little added weight is not that much of an issue as I don't plan to hold it in the air for long periods of time. Hence the want for a back cover to prevent back scratches.

Does not have to be a case with wood in it as long as it's sturdy and looks good.

I have done some research on this and this is what I have found:

Apple smart case
I looked at these and the standard one felt like recycled rubber tyres to me. And the edges felt a little sharp. Sure it's a good case but just not for me. The leather one has a might rub off warning, so that's a no go too. A little sad as I did want an official Apple case but looks like this is not the one for me.

Dodocase
I had been looking at these thanks to a recommendation I was given and I really like these cases. This one in particular:
http://www.dodocase.com/products/dreamy-clouds-dodocase-for-ipad-cases
I have watched a few dodocase reviews and have noticed that the reviewers are saying that the iPad does not fit as snugly as they had hoped. Is this true? And will the wood warp much over time?

Portenzo
I am not a fan of any of the cover designs here. I really don't want a plain cover case if I can help it. If I have to I will not that's not my aim. Also I have seen reviews where the spines were shown not to be that sturdy. But on the plus they say the iPad is held in really well and can't fall out. This is a plus. So overall a very good case but not so perfect. And also has the wood warping over time issue as the dodocase has. I'm ok with a in part wooden case, if the wood warping is not an issue as I really don't want to be buying multiple cases cause of this.

I also had a look here
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/apple/3345046/best-cases-covers-for-new-ipad/
For some ipad cases. Sure not for the iPad 4. But I looked at the websites of cases that looked nice to see if they had any iPad 4 compatible ones.

I could not seem to find any others that interested me. Maybe someone here could be kind enough to recommend me an iPad 4 case.

Thank you in advance. As I am really stumped on what is the best iPad 4 case for me.

Hi, I recently have bought the ipad 3 and for a case, I got the smart case. The only problem I've gotten is that the part on the inside, absorbs oil,grease, etc.

My cousin also has an ipad and the case SHE bought is very very bulky though it protects very well! i personally, don't like bulky cases because they are pretty simple and very big. I'm the type of person that likes colored cases that AREN'T BLACK.
I was looking for pretty cases with designs and here's what I found:

http://www.trait-tech.com/product/T...eather-case-for-the-new-ipad-ipad-2-pink.html

http://www.zazzle.com/colorful_elephant_kids_pattern_ipad_case-176654795539355206

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-4-3-2-...es_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item4d083bf7b0

I hope you find one that suits you!!!

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I spend more than I care to admit on cases for all of my electronic devices. (It's a disease ...). Anyway, despite all the cases I have, I keep coming back to the apple smart cover along with a clear back shell. I find this combo much thinner than full on cases and the smart cover works the best for me in terms of propping up the device.

For the back shell, the best one I've found is the Caudabe Shell in frost. You can buy direct from their website, but you might be able to find a good deal on Amazon so I'd always try there first. It's lasted me several months already and is well made.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I've had a look at many other cases and found one case I do really like.
https://www.germanmadepunkt.de/en/konfigurator.html?produktid=1781
But it's either $115 or $165 depending if I get a linnen or leather outer. THis is with shipping.

A little too expensive for my blood I think. And the cases don't even have a nice design on them. But they still hit me as good. I really like how they have screws to keep the corner pads in. But yeah the price.

macbarbie13 - Thanks for the links. I can't say I like those 3 designs but you're going in the right direction for a design I'm after. Something that's just not plain and boring. You know how it is, an expression of our personality the case is. And I'm looking for just the right design. I might have to take a compromise design as what I am after might not exist at all. Still thanks.

Amplelink - That's a very nice option too. Nice and light. Even though I am ok with a heavy case. I can't say I like the feel of the Apple smart cover, but I could always hunt out another and have the back shell you listed here. If I can't find a nice looking case that does not cost the earth I just might use your option. Not ideal, but it does work very well.

So I am still looking for a case.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I ended up getting the Germanmade leather case. In a light leather colour. The G1 to be exact.

Thanks for all your help. It has no nice artwork on it, but it ticked every box except for artwork and not super expensive. But I did end up getting the iPad 64 wifi + $50 iTunes card + the GM case for $815. So I'm not complaining.

I ordered it today. For reference, if you want to order one use firefox. As safari didn't seem to work. I got website errors when trying to process the order with safari. But all went well with firefox.

And if anyone's interested I'll review the case with photos when I get it. Been reviewed before but another review can't hurt.

Last edited:

Rankin Johnson

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
I'm about to get a case, and I've been researching. I like the book-style cases, like Portenzo, Dodo, Pad and Quill, Germanmade, Xhibt, and Twelvesouth. Of those, I am concerned that the colorful fabric covers will be grubby after a few months, and the dull fabric covers are, you know, dull. So I'm looking at the leather options, probably Portenzo, which seems to get the best reviews of the bunch. The folding option, intellistand, seems to make the wood case stronger, although it increases the price, too.

Good luck,
/s/Rankin Johnson IV
-Fighting for justice, but I'll settle for a reversal.

unidlewild

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Do the germanmade cases (G1 or G2) have a camera opening? Doesn't really say on the website.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The simplest solution and the one that looks the best, in my opinion, is just to get an Apple smart cover and then a back shell to protect the back. The smart cover lets you stand up the iPad in a few different ways and looks good. Then just get one of the many back shell options on Amazon or some other retailer. Here are a few:

Caudabe Shell
http://www.amazon.com/Caudabe-Shell...&qid=1357788336&sr=8-1&keywords=caudabe+shell

Incipio Smart Feather
http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Smart...&sr=1-1&keywords=incipio+smart+feather+ipad+4

SwitchEasy Coverbuddy
http://www.amazon.com/SwitchEasy-SW...sr=1-2&keywords=switcheasy+cover+buddy+ipad+4

LateRally

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
I am also planning to go the route of pairing an Apple Smart Cover with a back shell.

Has anyone tried the Incase Magnetic Snap Case?
http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Magnetic-Snap-Case-iPad/dp/B007OQ5XJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358207504&sr=1-1&keywords=incase+magnetic+snap+case+for+ipad+4

It seems to allow the smart cover to be used at an additional viewing angle not possible with the smart cover alone. I'm trying to decide between this, the Caudabe, and the Smart Feather.

(BTW the Caudabe Shell is half off on Amazon this week)

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I am also planning to go the route of pairing an Apple Smart Cover with a back shell.

http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Magnetic-Snap-Case-iPad/dp/B007OQ5XJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358207504&sr=1-1&keywords=incase+magnetic+snap+case+for+ipad+4

It seems to allow the smart cover to be used at an additional viewing angle not possible with the smart cover alone. I'm trying to decide between this, the Caudabe, and the Smart Feather.

Hmmm I really like this...

LateRally

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013

In case anyone's curious, I gave both the Incase and Caudabe a test drive for a few days each, and I prefer the Incase. The extra magnets and the third possible viewing angle sealed the deal. I found myself almost immediately using that additional angle the most.

Other than that the thickness and weight of both cases is almost identical. The Caudabe does have a little better coverage on the top and bottom of the iPad (the two shorter edges), with notch cut-outs vs. completely open edges for the Incase. However that might be by design on the Incase, as when I'm holding the iPad in landscape (which is most of the time), my hands are resting on the edges of the iPad itself rather than the case, which is pretty comfortable to do.

The Caudabe does have a slightly nicer feeling texture, but with the Smart Cover swung to the back, that's kind of a moot point since I rarely have my hands all over the exterior of the case.

I'll still plan to hang onto the Caudabe as a back-up (especially since I got it for only 15 bucks), but for now my go-to case will be the Incase.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
In case anyone's curious, I gave both the Incase and Caudabe a test drive for a few days each, and I prefer the Incase. The extra magnets and the third possible viewing angle sealed the deal. I found myself almost immediately using that additional angle the most.

Other than that the thickness and weight of both cases is almost identical. The Caudabe does have a little better coverage on the top and bottom of the iPad (the two shorter edges), with notch cut-outs vs. completely open edges for the Incase. However that might be by design on the Incase, as when I'm holding the iPad in landscape (which is most of the time), my hands are resting on the edges of the iPad itself rather than the case, which is pretty comfortable to do.

The Caudabe does have a slightly nicer feeling texture, but with the Smart Cover swung to the back, that's kind of a moot point since I rarely have my hands all over the exterior of the case.

I'll still plan to hang onto the Caudabe as a back-up (especially since I got it for only 15 bucks), but for now my go-to case will be the Incase.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you see the Caudabe for 15 bucks? I have one and love it, but I only see it for $19.95 on their website. Granted, that's still not bad but I'm looking to get one for my cousin's birthday.

LateRally

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
If you don't mind my asking, where did you see the Caudabe for 15 bucks? I have one and love it, but I only see it for $19.95 on their website. Granted, that's still not bad but I'm looking to get one for my cousin's birthday.

Amazon. A couple of weeks ago the 15 dollar deal sounded like a temporary promotion, but I just checked and it's still the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.