Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Mini or Nexus 7

• iPad Mini 16Gb Cellular

Votes: 131 62.7%
  • Nexus 7 32Gb 3G

Votes: 78 37.3%

• Total voters

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
It actaully turned out better than expected. It turns out the white ghosting effect occurs when the battery runs down to zero. But in the time I was on hold with Asus, the problem cleared up and it's been fine since.

ASUS was very easy to deal with and sent me an RMA in case I change my mind. The downside is there is the 7-10 day window you don't have a device. So I'm going to keep it and chalk it up to a one time occurence.

I just received the Mini that I'm getting my teenage daughter for Christmas. At the end of the year, I'll do some side by side testing.

If you buy direct from Google they send you the replacement and a bag to send the old one back. They out a hold on your credit until the old one is returned but that's fair I'd say.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I just returned my Nexus 7 32gb wifi tablet to the store today. I used it for one week. I do currently own an iPad 2. A few issues and concerns I had with the Nexus:

1. The over the air update to Jelly Bean 4.2.1 kept failing even after doing several factory resets. The device would eventually reboot after the failed update and I'd be stuck with the older version of 4.1.2. The sealed box it came in stated that it had version 4.2 already installed. Did it ship refurbished? I got it from Office Depot. It just left me feeling uneasy.

2. The usable screen space on the Nexus was just too small for web browsing for me. This was even more evident when holding it in landscape mode. I felt like I was browsing on my cellphone. I had to do a lot of zooming & stretching on web pages. Then I'd have to scroll to see everything because the zooming didn't sense when to stop and the left and right margins were always cut off.

3. The Nexus battery lasted no longer than my old iPad 2. Nothing felt any faster or smoother than my iPad 2 either. It could be my imagination but I swear, the Nexus battery died faster than my iPad 2's.

4. The auto rotating of the device was sluggish. The background wallpaper would take few second to fill up the screen when rotated to landscape mode. Sometimes the wallpaper didn't fill all the way to the right side in this position.

5. My favorite news App "Zite" absolutely sucked on the Nexus. "Flipboard" wasn't much better.

6. I was at work and a colleague whipped out his new iPad Mini from his briefcase and began using it. I was thinking to myself "dang that thing is big for a 'mini' device. But then I noticed how much more I could see on his screen compared to what I was able to see on my Nexus. Now I'm contemplating buying an iPad Mini instead.

7. Buyer's Remorse. During the week I owned my Nexus 7, I'd see iPad commercials on television and I'd feel slightly jealous. I began to question my buying choice. Sure I already own an older iPad2 that our family shares, but I really missed using it. I was trying to encourage myself to use & like the Nexus more to justify my purchase.

For now, I'll keep sharing the Family iPad 2. I'm contemplating purchasing the iPad Mini for myself but I still need to think it over.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Personally iPad mini.

The App store + the look/feel of it just is fantastic in my opinion. I have used a N7 and seen them in action and I just think that the iPad works the best (especially if you have other iOS or Apple devices).

I don't know how I would live without things like iCloud notes and photo stream now!

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
Nexus 7 won it for me purely based on the price and performance per £/$.

I didn't need a 7" tablet as I have an iPad 3 and iPhone 5 but I fancied one. The price of the Nexus fell into that price bracket of 'I'll give it a go' and have since been hugely impressed.

Android as far as I have seen isn't as slick as iOS but it's certainly as functional and for £150 less for a 32gb I'm prepared to forgive it it's flaws for something I can chuck in my bag and take to work, use on a train etc without worrying about how much it cost.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah. I usually go for the apple, but for christmas I decided to ask for a 16 GB Nexus 7. Its 100$ cheaper than a 16 GB mini, the screen is HD, plus I like having built in GPS for offline nav. Sure it lacks some of the things the mini has like the 1080p video camera (I cant think of anything else), but thats why its 100$ cheaper. The mini might be a bit higher quality in terms of the materials its made of, but the nexus 7 is pretty solid for a plastic tablet. I definitely like iOS more than android, and how well it works with my Mac, but the last android device I used was a crappy phone running android 2, and after using a N7 in store I'm pretty impressed with how far android has come.

I think for people who don't have to have only apple products the N7 is going to be pretty tempting. If apple were to make the mini 30-50$ cheaper (still more than the N7) then it would probably sell more to that niche.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a Nexus 4, I was given an iPad Mini as a Christmas present today, really pleased, beautiful device, it gives me a nice mix of the two OS's.

UbuntuFu

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
Recently got me a 32gb Nexus 7. I love it.

Jelly Bean has impressed me, I'm probably going to leave iOS for good when it's time to replace my 3GS...Nexus 4 looks real nice.

iOS is just getting boring. I still use my original iPad though mainly for the Remote app and Flipboard. But for my next phone I want the flexibility that Android provides w/o have to jailbreak the phone.

I would consider the iPad mini if they lower the price by 30 bucks and add Retina, which you know they probably would sometime in 2013.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
An update after playing around with the Mini I got for my daughter for Christmas. I've had my Nexus 7 for a couple of months, I bought it after being put off mediocre screen, specs and high price of the Mini.

They are both really good....just different.

I really like the size and durability of the Nexus 7. The shape fits better in a coat/sweatshirt pocket. I actually like plastic back...to me the whole thing feels durable. I feel like I can put it in my briefcase or pocket without a case and nothing will go wrong. The iPad Mini seems like it's begging for a case.

On the flip side, the larger screen of the Mini is much better for web browsing. And it screen/keyboard seems a lot more accurate than the Nexus. It seems I'm always missing keys/links with the Nexus...and I didn't experience that with the Mini at all.

And the Nexus does feel a bit sluggish...it's hard to describe. For example when the page rotates, it doesn't look as 'smooth' as the Apple.

I'll be honest...for me it pretty much came down to price. A tablet is a pure gravy item for me. I use it a lot when I travel for work...but it's just a time killer the rest of the time. I may pick up a used one someday, but I just couldn't justify paying for fare for one for myself.

Now my 15 year old daughter was different. It was pretty much all she wanted for Christmas and I think she'll be attached to it all of the time.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The nexus hands down, the inability to customize the keyboard layout on the iPad is absurd. Split keyboard is too small the other keyboard is too large.

Many of the android apps are phone optimized and look terrible on large screens such as the xoom but most look fine on the nexus and seeing as screens are getting larger not smaller on phones the line between device screens is going to blur.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I love my Nexus 7. I couldn't imagine paying more and getting an outdated piece of tech. It's like paying for a Porche and getting a Ford Pinto (and then being told the manufacturer won't allow you to drive it on certain days or at certain times or certain places. And they added a governor on to the engine, so you can only go 55mph and limited to 3 gears). But hey, if it has an Apple logo on it... I prefer not being told what I can and can't do.

SDKNOLA

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
New Orleans
I've been generally happy with my 32GB Nexus 7. My only complaint so far is the limited volume. My iPad 2 does a much better job for apps like Hulu.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Trying to decide which one to buy for myself as a Christmas present. The choice is between the iPad Mini 16Gb Cellular (£369) or Nexus 7 32Gb 3G (£252). Previously had both iPad 2 and Nexus 7 WiFi, but sold both recently to get some extra cash for a cellular one. Each device has its' own pros and cons:

Mini:
+ iOS and millions of apps
+ perfect fit for my rMBP and iPhone 5 (can use the same Lighting charger)
+ bigger screen

- price
- smaller "HDD"

Nexus 7:
+ Some features of Android OS (SwiftKey, Widgets, Direct Download, Android File Transfer)
+ price
+ bigger "HDD"

+/- offline navigation

- shape is somewhat weird and no rotation in the home screen
- worse display (yeah yeah I saw the specs, but I also so both things in action)
- 1.5 apps for the entire android market

What's your opinion?

You have already had the N7 and a iPad. Dont see what you want us to tell you. We have a Mini and a N7 and i much prefer the Nexus 7. And the screen auto rotates just fine BTW and the screen is nicer than the Mini's screen. The Nexus 7 is imo just funner to use though it doesnt have a back camera. But, it is $130 cheaper.
I dont mind using the Mini but the keyboard still blows and cant believe they still have no back button. I always am looking for it by habit...lol

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
eqepy4up.jpg

Yeap :) Nexus 7 in tha house, great table with good grip and size, screen is A++ and overall performance.

Cant say anything about battery life atm since its not even 24hrs in my hands (its the wifi only ver. btw) but i dont think it will dissapoint.

Widgets really are awesome plus useful on big screen !

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Trying to decide which one to buy for myself as a Christmas present. The choice is between the iPad Mini 16Gb Cellular (£369) or Nexus 7 32Gb 3G (£252). Previously had both iPad 2 and Nexus 7 WiFi, but sold both recently to get some extra cash for a cellular one. Each device has its' own pros and cons:

Mini:
+ iOS and millions of apps
+ perfect fit for my rMBP and iPhone 5 (can use the same Lighting charger)
+ bigger screen

- price
- smaller "HDD"

Nexus 7:
+ Some features of Android OS (SwiftKey, Widgets, Direct Download, Android File Transfer)
+ price
+ bigger "HDD"

+/- offline navigation

- shape is somewhat weird and no rotation in the home screen
- worse display (yeah yeah I saw the specs, but I also so both things in action)
- 1.5 apps for the entire android market

What's your opinion?

You list iOS as a plus for the iPad mini when that's not necessarily true. Many find that to be a serious drawback.

For me there are plenty of apps in the Play Store. In fact, the difference in the amount of apps between the two are growing smaller.

You said the screen is better on the iPad mini? No way. Yea it's bigger but has less pixels. Nexus 7 beats the iPad mini with the screen.

Not going to any further other than saying that the iPad mini is nice, but you're going to pay for less specs. Bottom line. If that's cool with you, go for it. Call me crazy but I'd rather get more for less, not less for more.

If you're already in the Apple eco system the iPad mini. If not, or you don't mine, Nexus 7 all the way. The iPad mini was out of date the moment Tim Cook (or whoever) announced it. Plus it's over priced. No thank you.

iPad mini. No contest.

It's simple, really. iOS wins every day of the week. Android is not for me, although I do applaud Google for the strides they have made. Android is way too disjointed for my liking.

Just because Android is not for you doesn't mean iOS wins every day of the week. :rolleyes:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
No contest, the sales will do the talking. Mini will sell more than twice of what the nexus 7 has sold ever in less than three months. Build quality, battery life, performance (and i mean real life performance not some crappy quad core chip that cant handle running temple run w/o lag), customer service, design (aluminium vs plastic), 250 K+ apps compared to a few thousand. Seriously, no contest. Played around with the nexus at my local target and as usual takes three times as long as my iPhone 5 to open an app.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
No contest, the sales will do the talking. Mini will sell more than twice of what the nexus 7 has sold ever in less than three months. Build quality, battery life, performance (and i mean real life performance not some crappy quad core chip that cant handle running temple run w/o lag), customer service, design (aluminium vs plastic), 250 K+ apps compared to a few thousand. Seriously, no contest. Played around with the nexus at my local target and as usual takes three times as long as my iPhone 5 to open an app.

:rolleyes: Hey, think you can show us some official sales figures for the Mini? Oh yeah, that's right, sales haven't been great, so Apple refuses to give any. :p

As for design, if it is so awesome why do you have a big, cheap plastic cover on it? Oh yeah, that's right, that aluminum back gets scratched if you look at it wrong. We call that bad design materials for a consumer product.

Performance: Gotta love using outdated and left over cpu's and gpu's, with a screen from 2010. Yep, great performance. :rolleyes:

Apps: Over 700k work on the Nex7 because Android, unlike iOS, scales apps up to 7" without issue. Apple was forced to use a 4:3 layout because their developers never bothered to build apps to scale properly. So, Apple took the lazy way out and just shrunk apps designed for the iPad2. This means touch points within an app were shrunk down as well. How you enjoying those missed taps?

And last, CNeT, one of the largest Apple lovers on the net, named the Nexus 7 the 3rd best piece of tech in 2012. AHEAD of the Mini. How you like them Apples? :D

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
:rolleyes: Hey, think you can show us some official sales figures for the Mini? Oh yeah, that's right, sales haven't been great, so Apple refuses to give any. :p

As for design, if it is so awesome why do you have a big, cheap plastic cover on it? Oh yeah, that's right, that aluminum back gets scratched if you look at it wrong. We call that bad design materials for a consumer product.

Performance: Gotta love using outdated and left over cpu's and gpu's, with a screen from 2010. Yep, great performance. :rolleyes:

Apps: Over 700k work on the Nex7 because Android, unlike iOS, scales apps up to 7" without issue. Apple was forced to use a 4:3 layout because their developers never bothered to build apps to scale properly. So, Apple took the lazy way out and just shrunk apps designed for the iPad2. This means touch points within an app were shrunk down as well. How you enjoying those missed taps?

And last, CNeT, one of the largest Apple lovers on the net, named the Nexus 7 the 3rd best piece of tech in 2012. AHEAD of the Mini. How you like them Apples? :D

No it's actually Google that never releases sales figures for their devices. Apple will release iPad sales as they have for years.

Design is not something that anyone that reviews tech toys has ever dinged Apple for and in fact always heaped praise on them and the mini was no exception. I have operated iPads without cases and I've seen no dings, so that is BS. Hard to scratch a rubbery piece of plastic by comparison.

IPad mini performance is not an issue, the non-retina display is another story, but I think sales numbers will bare out that made little difference. When you sell every one you can make I think that bodes well for numbers. Unlike Google who started out with low expectations and has done better, Apple started out with high expectations and cannot meet demand as of yet.

Oh those nicely scaled apps look like crap and I used them on a nexus 7 and now a 10 which makes them look even worse. Nice try, but no cigar. The fact is Android has a problem with devs not pushing very fast to updates apps for tablets. You are blind or in denial. The one area that Andoid beats Apple is on text scaling, but phone apps scaled up do not provide a very good user experience.

N7 like the N10 are great devices, but even with all that they are not outselling Apple's iPads. Not even close, CNet gave them a bone! I agree with CNet but again you are ether blind or in denial.

Now with all that said I like my Nexus devices, but they are not perfect and Google needs to do a lot of work in customer service/support. Not to mention pushing devs to support their tablets by updating and or re-design them to take advantage go these big beautiful screens.

Last edited:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Wow you really are a fandroid. Apple never gives out sales figures until earnings. Those outdated processors are still faster than the quad core nexus 7 ones xD. Please dont go on about sales, you really are stupid if you think the mini wont smash the nexus in sales. And i have no idea about what you are going on about apps. Everyone and there mother knows that their is NO app developments for android tablets and google is begging developers to help them but they wont because they know who s*** the devices are. How many optimised apps do you have? 1000? HAHA xD Also hows that plastic of your going, does it creak when you touch it in certain spots like the S3? The sales part is where you lost all your credibility because ironically enough google doesnt even reveal sale figures FULL STOP. At least apple says them in their earnings. And iOS has more phone apps as well which all work on the mini but no one uses them because they arent high res, we use OPTIMISED apps which you have none of xD

----------

No it's actually Google that never releases sales figures for their devices. Apple will release iPad sales as they have for years.

Design is not something that anyone that reviews tech toys has ever dinged Apple for and in fact always heaped praise on them and the mini was no exception. I have operated iPads without cases and I've seen no dings, so that is BS. Hard to scratch a rubbery piece of plastic by comparison.

IPad mini performance is not an issue, the non-retina display is another story, but I think sales numbers will bare out that made little difference. When you sell every one you can make I think that bodes well for numbers. Unlike Google who started out with low expectations and has done better, Apple started out with high expectations and cannot meet demand as of yet.

Oh those nicely scaled apps look like crap and I used them on a nexus 7 and now a 10 which makes them look even worse. Nice try, but no cigar. The fact is Android has a problem with devs not pushing very fast to updates apps for tablets. You are blind or in denial. The one are that Andoid beats App,e is on text scaling, but phone apps scaled up do not provide a very good user experience.

N7 like the N10 are great devices, but even with all that they are not outselling Apple's iPads. Not even close, CNet gave them a bone! I agree with CNet but again you are ether blind or in denial.

Now with all that said I like my Nexus devices, but they are not perfect and Google needs to do a lot of work in customer service/support. Not to mention pushing devs to support their tablets by updating and or re-design them to take advantage go these big beautiful screens.

Spot On, lol at that guy saying mini sales are bad because apple hasnt released them. How ironic xD

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is embarrassing. Sales figure purchasing is what gives us iOS users the iSheep tag. Basically saying "well that's what everyone else is doing so that's what I'm going to do"...

Just buy the device that works best for you. Personally I feel the mini is the poor mans iPad, its too big for me to consider it a mini, and the specs are sub Apple quality. I'm one generation behind right now (iPhone 4S and iPad 3) and buying the mini just seems like settling for old tech. Plus my mother bought 3 of them for people for Christmas because "they are cheaper"....I feel the same about the N7 except they tried a little harder on the device not just took some scraps laying around and threw them in a box a put a higher price tag on it.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I thought blown up phone apps were "crap" ?

The majority of apps I see on the app store are 'Plus' Apps. The Plus sign means they run native in both ipad and iphone and look great in both. The non plus apps are apps that are either ipad only or designed for iphone. Ipad only apps you can't even put on the iphone. The iphone designed apps are, well, just like they are on the iphone. Not the best scenario, but they do work as intended. You can blow these up, but they do look bad.

I personally give more consideration to apps with the 'Plus' sign so I only have to buy once. Apps without a Plus, I either decide if I intend or will get better use from the ipad version or the phone version and only buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.