Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
My parents have just got a new iBook and keep asking me how to do a mountain of different tasks. They imported a load of digital photos into iPhoto and that has worked great. The problem appears when they comment a picture. Now when you go to edit the photo all you get is the spinning disk in the middle of the iPhoto window. Also the file size goes from about 700k upto 1.2M! Very strange bug and something I have never come across, probably because I have never commented things in iPhoto.

Has anyone else evr come across this one? Or anyway to fix it....

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Never seen this before, my iPhoto works fine but prehaps it could be a bug

is this happening with the latest iPhoto 5.0.4?

Does it happen with any picture?

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Yeah it is iPhoto 5.0.4 and it happens only to the photos that are commented. I have checked disk permissions etc... but nothing has made any difference!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Haven't seen this before either. I wonder if it's related to the current bug-du-jour to do with the size of iPhoto.Library (in the iPhoto Library folder) which I think is the file where comments get written to. It shouldn't be bigger than about 30MB with several thousand images in it. If it's over 100MB, you might have this MakerNote bug which seems to cause this file's size to swell and thus iPhoto to take an age to open and close. This seems to affect certain makes of cameras at the moment - there's lots of info on the Apple discussion boards about it. But I'm not sure if this is what is causing your problem since as far as I'm aware it might cause the beachballing but not the increase from putting in comments.

How are they putting in comments? Via the batch comments or on each individual image? If they're cutting and pasting, there's not some weird formatting or image that they're trying to mistakenly paste in? Just trying to think what might cause a 500K file size leap...

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
It is a small Kodak camera and they only take a few little pics with it. Each comment is added individually. It is not the beach ball that appears but the spinning disk such as the one that appears on teh start-up of teh mac and when a website is being loaded in a tab under safari. I will check the iPhoto.Library file when they get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.