Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
You're kidding right? That's like saying a Ferrari 599 is not that much different than a Toyota Celica because they both have 4 wheels and a windshield... The Ferrari is just "slightly" faster and has a few more features that "don't matter".

The 5:

Is more than twice as fast
Has LTE
Has faster Wi-Fi (5Ghz N)
Has a bigger, better calibrated screen
Has better cameras (sapphire lens and HD FaceTime)
Is Thinner
Is Lighter
Uses charging technology that will be SUPPORTED going forward
Has much more resale value/potential as the 4S continues to age
Has better battery life
Charges faster

I could go on... But the only people who really believe the 4S is comparable are the people who either are stuck without an upgrade (or can't afford it) or are Android folks fishing for flames. VERY few people (maybe 5 out of 100, IF that) would choose a 4S and $100 over a 5.

The 4S was a FINE phone (as the Celica is a FINE automobile). But there is NO comparison to the 5. It is simply a different (better, faster, smarter) animal.

You can say the upgrades "don't matter", but that doesn't mean it's true. They obviously do, or no one would buy the 5 over the cheaper 4S.

The 5 kicks some serious 4S tail... (and that's no shot at the 4S, which I still think is the second best phone on the market... it's just a teastament to the 5).
Thinner and lighter isn't always better. True Internet is faster but the average user probably won't even notice it. I only had the 4 and I don't feel the 5 was a huge upgrade

ferganer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
I used many Android phones mostly "flagship" models. I like how customizable Android is and how well third-party apps are integrated into the OS. iPhone 5 is my first Apple product and I haven't regretted my decision to try it out. I'll give it a solid 9/10 just for the fact that "it just works". Not a hiccup since I got it. Everything has been flawless.

What I'd change about the iPhone:

- Make the battery larger. Extra few millimeters in thickness and 20-40 more grams in weight won't hurt it if the battery life doubles. Not that the battery life is bad, but my priority would be more battery life over thinness.
- Make it liquid-metal instead of aluminum :)
- 720P 4.2"-4.3" screen with even narrower bezel (IGZO maybe).

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Did a thread similar to this on the iPad forum. Now it's time for the iPhone owners. For me the first week was a 10/10. Now it's just meh the larger iPad screen has me spoiled lol I barely even check my phone anymore. So about a 7.5 out of 10 currently.

8/10.

Everything is great.

2 deducted due to the battery life.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
8 out 10. First because nothing is perfect, second because the carriers do whatever they can to make your experience miserable. Smartphones have come a long way, but still far from perfect. Battery life for moderate to heavy users is an issue on just about every phone. Voice quality, although good, does not even come close to a landline. However, I am still quite happy with the iphone 5.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
9/10

Coming from the 4s I didn't think things could get faster but the iPhone 5 is way faster, smoother, and snappier. The battery life is also much improved over the 4s. LTE is the icing on the cake as everything loads almost instantly on it. Does pretty much everything I need in a smartphone.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
10. Out of 10.

It's more than everything I wanted in a phone. Sent from my iPhone 5.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Before getting LTE in my city:

7/10 - WiFi is crappy and 3G is a joke. Plus huge drain in battery

After getting LTE:

9/10 - Huge improvement in battery life can go a day and a half without charging. LTE speeds are crazy. But Wify is still crappy at 6.0.2

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
8/10

That's a realistic rating. All these tens reveal users that've either had too much Apple magic juice, or simply have no desire to spend the time required to do a comprehensive evaluation.

No brand or model is a ten, unless you are easily impressed.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
6/10

* Love the feel
* Great screen
* Fast on 4g

* Hate the new connector
* Battery sucks ( ON second i5 )
* Wi Fi connectivity is shotty ( on 6.02 )
* Power button sucked on the first one and is worse on its replacement.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
10/10 its the only phone out there that can spin around in a full circle on its on. Suck it android

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
For the first 2 - it's been like that for 5 years and will likely never change, so I don't know why you were even expecting that.

As for the 3rd, a majority have been updated now and it's not really Apple's fault that developers aren't updating them. The major ones have been updated a while ago - Fb, Twitter, Viber, Whatsapp, Skype, Waze, Flipboard and lots more.

I never said I expected that. I've known since 2007 that the iPhone will never have a user replaceable battery and swappable memory. I merely stated those points in order to illustrate how my personal iPhone experience would have been better had the iPhone included those things.

Not to be rude but did you even read my post properly I never blamed Apple for apps not being updated either. A few of mine that I use on a daily basis - mainly non mainstream ones like my banking app haven't been updated yet and the black bars are irksome to me but not full on annoying. Plus like you said, most apps have been updated so it isn't too bothersome.

The OP asked me to rate my iphone experience. I listed what I liked and what bothered me. I'm not blaming anyone, nor did I have unrealistic expectations of the iPhone.

Every phone has its bad points. I simply did what the OP said and rated my experience with the iP5.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Honestly, probably 9/10. I love the phone, but I wish it had more "heft" like the iPhone 4S, either that or the body of the 3GS. I LOVE the rounded body of the 3GS.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
10/10

Thankfully, I've been blessed to not experience the wi-fi issues that others have experienced. While at my parents for Christmas I was able to go 23+ hrs on a charge before I decided to plug in (hadn't even gotten the 20% warning). Everything with my 5 has gone swimmingly. Really loving the speed of LTE as well and the added screen real estate.

jenz

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
It is not as fast as I expected, but it's better than my old iPhone 4. The battery life is also mediocre. Other than that, I love my iPhone 5 64 GB :)

9/10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.