Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I'm sad to say that while I love the i5's bigger screen, LTE and other enhancements - I much prefer the 4/4s's durability.

I had my 4 for 2 years - w/ just a bumper - and no screen protector. I used and treated it exactly the same way I use my i5.

After three months with the 5 - I'm sad to report several scratches on the screen. Admittedly they are very minor (really only noticeable in certain light) - but my 4 had none. The 5's screen is clearly softer than the 4's.

I somehow got a dent on the back a few weeks ago. l apparently placed it on the corner of something with a sharp edge. And then, on Christmas day I jumped into my car to move it quickly for someone. I had my phone in my back pocket. I bending the whole phone slightly. I was able to bend it back enough to get the volume buttons un-stuck - so functionally its still usable but I now have a 3cm crease on the back.

Normally I'd swap it out for a refurb - but I'm sure there will be more instances before I upgrade again. I'm very glad I got Applecare+ for this phone. I got it on a whim (never got it with the 3's or 4's).

The hyper thinness, longer shape and thinner screen and metal back all have contributed to a much less durable phone. I realize the i4 had a glass back that could crack but thus far I think it was a much stronger material.

My which for the 5S/6 is a thicker and stronger outer frame with a something like carbon fiber for the back.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
After three months with the 5 - I'm sad to report several scratches on the screen. Admittedly they are very minor (really only noticeable in certain light) - but my 4 had none. The 5's screen is clearly softer than the 4's.

You can't make blanket statements like that because there has been no evidence of a "softer" screen other than your opinion. I've used my iP5 the same way as all my other iPhones with no protection this time (actually had an otter box defender for my 4 and 4s) and my glass is holding up better than all of them so far. People's experiences will vary is all I'm saying. You can't treat something exactly the same all the time so the scratches could have came from something you were unaware of.

I somehow got a dent on the back a few weeks ago. l apparently placed it on the corner of something with a sharp edge. And then, on Christmas day I jumped into my car to move it quickly for someone. I had my phone in my back pocket. I bending the whole phone slightly. I was able to bend it back enough to get the volume buttons un-stuck - so functionally its still usable but I now have a 3cm crease on the back.

So because you hopped into a car really fast with a phone in your back pocket and it bent, you think it's less durable? That's an extreme use case which does not fall under normal use at all. I'm actually surprised it held up as much as it did.

The hyper thinness, longer shape and thinner screen and metal back all have contributed to a much less durable phone. I realize the i4 had a glass back that could crack but thus far I think it was a much stronger material.

That's still pretty debatable as most users would probably agree that it's actually stronger. Glass is brittle. Aluminum allows for more damage to be withstood and endured and still be useable.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Enough people reported their 4 / 4s models shattering upon being dropped once from somewhere around waist level. Dropped my 4s once and it had a bulge on the side. Dropped it again and another part chipped off. Dropped my iPhone 5, no scratch, scuff or mark. Can't see much valid criticism going on in your post, IMO since, as the previous poster outlined, you'd expect to damage your phone in the scenarios you've outlined, as for the "mystery scratches", those happen with all models, I've seen plenty of un-cased 4 / 4s models with their backs all scratched up with tiny scratches (similar to, though not as extreme as those you get on an iPod Classic if you use it without a case)

Scratches happen. Take care of your phone, regardless of what model or brand it is.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
I think you're response is fair. I agree that you can't compare two time periods perfectly.

I'm not looking to start a debate or anything- just reporting my observations and opinions. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the screen surface is softer - just too many independent incidences - but again jmho. These scratches don't really bother me though - so not a big deal.

My main complaint is the softer (but as you state- much less brittle) back material combined with the thinner and longer profile. I just think it's much more difficult to keep this phone in 'mint' condition w/o using big bulky cases.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I just think it's much more difficult to keep this phone in 'mint' condition w/o using big bulky cases.

You mean harder to keep in mint condition than a phone that, as I have outlined above, enough users report that they really only need to drop once from a fairly low height to get either a shattered screen / back or bumps and chips as was the case with the 4 / 4s models?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry you've made these experiences, I just don't think they count for much, if anything at all, towards any fair description of the durability of both devices. Each have their weak spots and IMO, the iPhone 5, aside from the scuffgate thing, is the more durable phone.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Had my iPhone 4 2 years and sold it in mint condition. Had my iPhone 5 since launch day and it's still in mint condition.
I can say the same for my iPad 2, iPad 4, ATV, iMac etc. Sometimes it's about how you look after things, not how they are made.

TheSwede

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I have to say that the 4 / 4s did feel alot more sturdy than the ip5. I've had mine ip5 since launch day without a case or screenprotector and it's still mint, but i do treat it with even more care than my 4s.. I hope Apple goes back to an all glass design with a little more heft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.