Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Always have to have a case. Too many concrete floors and pavement in this world to avoid!!!

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
A screen protector ruins the experience for me, screen isn't as smooth and colour saturation goes down the pan, a case however is recommended. Who doesn't use a case nowadays? : /

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I'm planning to take the plunge into the iPhone world but I've read and heard that the iPhone 5 scratches easily? I'm planning to get the black one. I'm just curious about how many of you iPhone 5 users use their phone with no screen protector or case. How is it holding up? How's the back and the screen? Does the back really scratch that easily?

The chamfered edge and back can scratch pretty easily. Really easily actually. But the screen is tough(er) than nails. Seriously, metal doesn't scratch the screen. :D

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
You will hear both sides. Side A is: " I have had 20 iPhone's, kept all of them in my construction tool box and not one has ever even gotten the slightest scratch!". And Side B: " I walked out of the Apple Store with my new phone, gently wiped it with my 1200 thread count silk shirt and it got a scratch!".

It's up to you. I know too many people who have scratches from not dropping them, not banging them against things and who are careful, so I use a screen protector.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I always get a screen protector. Gorilla glass provides scratch resistance not scratch protection. And that resistance fades quickly one you get 1 or 2 scratches in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.